Post-16 education - travel costs

(6 Posts)
T00tlesthetaxi Thu 26-May-16 11:21:46

Just wanted to highlight the fact that the council has now removed all subsidies for travel to school for 16+ students (except for very low-income families). The main bus operator Stagecoach offers no special travel cards for these children either (although it does in other areas in which it operates). For those living outside Cambridge centre, a Stagecoach bus pass is now going to cost you £89/month for your child to attend school. As there is very little 16+ education outside Cambridge, we have no choice but to send our children into town. Various train operators do offer subsidised travel but you obviously have to be near a railway line. It cannot be fair that here in the East, we have to pay almost £1000/year for school travel, when there are areas elsewhere in the country where travel remains free/heavily subsidised.

Tingalingle Fri 27-May-16 12:02:38

Ouch.

This year's £650 felt steep enough. Thanks for the warning.

The current 'annual' bus pass doesn't actually cover August, so is effectively an 11-month pass, but that's still quite some increase.

MrsGrowbag Thu 02-Jun-16 06:54:41

My dc went to Comberton 6th form so it's even worse, as theit bus pass only allows them travel on the school bus. Ie 8am in the morning and 3pm in the afternoon. If they had a late start or wanted to stst for after-college activities, they had to pay bus fare for the regular public service bus on top.

Given that some sort of education for 16 - 18 year olds is compulsory, I think it's outrageous that the travel isn't subsidised.

Abenethri Thu 02-Jun-16 17:41:26

Is this the county council?

CestTout Thu 09-Jun-16 10:26:25

Cambridge Regional College charges £470 a year for their contract bus service. Or £125 if on an apprenticeship day release. Not too bad when you consider Stagecoaches prices.

TicTacToe20 Thu 25-Aug-16 21:56:46

www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/east/cambridgeshire-term-tickets. - Tootles, this was highlighted to me the other day. Or is this the rise you described? £270 per term (not valid in half term or Christmas hols). It might be worth it if you have to change buses. I know there are virtually no through buses anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now