Cambridge to Huntingdon commute time at rush hour

(4 Posts)
Cantabile Thu 09-Jun-16 10:57:33

Does anyone know how long to allow for commuting from Cambridge to Huntingdon at rush hour in the morning? I've heard that it's pretty dire at that time of day or is it worse if you're coming into Cambridge rather than travelling out?

PippaFawcett Thu 09-Jun-16 11:06:24

I used to do it the other way and it is AWFUL. This was before the Guided Bus opened though which I would use if I had that option and I think it has relieved some of the pressure but it doesn't seem very noticeable.

I think it is still very, very busy the other way too with frequent accidents which block/close part of the A14 so if you have an alternative/can do more flexible hours and start much earlier/later then I would do that to be able to avoid it if possible.

Tid1 Thu 09-Jun-16 18:29:41

I did this route for 4 years and rarely had a problem. You're going against the traffic and most days I was able to do 60/70mph on the A14. I live north cambridge (so very easy access to A14) and came off at godmanchester , but my office was right in the middle of town and there can be some queuing at godmanchester at school drop off times 8.30-9am. I usually left home around 8am and door to door for me was 35 mins.

orchardy Thu 09-Jun-16 20:19:52

I go that way 4 days a week. It'm worse coming into Cambridge than getting out. I think 90% of the time you'll be fine, and if you factor in 20 mins for delays it's probably OK. If you have the traffic alerts on and hear the A14 has a problem you can always go out along the A428, and then at Papworth you go cross country to Godmanchester and go into Huntingdon that way. My Satnav tells me that route is 5 minutes slower so again perfectly feasible. I've done this route (actually further) for 2 years now and only very occasionally had a problem. What time would you need to be in Huntingdon? Like the poster above I live in North Cambridge and can get out easily, which helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now