Dearth of after-school provision - any ideas?

(11 Posts)
CambridgeRiver Thu 07-Jul-16 18:06:07

My son will be starting Reception at Morley Memorial in September. Their after-school club is completely full, apparently with a huge waiting list. We recently had an induction evening for parents whose children will be starting Reception, and I was very cross that they didn't mention this at all, giving the impression that the after-school club had space (not mentioned on the school website, either).

Every childminder I have contacted who picks up from Morley is also full, as this problem started last year. I've contacted local nurseries and other after-school clubs, but they can't help, either. I'm at a loss!

Does anyone have any ideas at all, or maybe know of someone I could contact? I would be so very grateful. I am so stressed about this! sad

cammel Thu 07-Jul-16 21:47:13

Perhaps you could find a student to do PT nannying.

CambridgeRiver Thu 07-Jul-16 22:41:28

Thanks for your reply, cammel. I have in fact put up an ad to do just that. Fingers crossed!

Jennycam1 Thu 07-Jul-16 23:45:02

Try TJ kids: tjkid3.wix.com/tjkids. They are based at St Philips, but collect children from Ridgefield and Morley Memorial as well.

CambridgeRiver Fri 08-Jul-16 07:18:06

I know of TJ kids, Jennycam1, but didn't realise they could pick up from Morley. I'll contact them today. Thank you!

PippaFawcett Thu 28-Jul-16 20:25:52

Did you manage to sort out your after school care, CambridgeRiver?

CambridgeRiver Fri 29-Jul-16 08:08:40

As it turns out, TJ kids can no longer pick up children from Morley, even though they have the space, but they suggested that I arrange a taxi along with any other parents who are interested. I wasn't keen on that.

I also advertised on Care.com for an after-school nanny, and had a couple of decent responses, one of which is a serious contender. However, I've just heard that Morley might be implementing a sibling priority system, which would mean we would have a good chance of a place for DS2. I'm waiting to find out. If not, we'll go with the after-school nanny.

So not completely resolved, but nearly there!

There is such a market for after-school care in this area. If I had any professional childcare experience at all I would seriously consider setting something up.

PippaFawcett Fri 29-Jul-16 11:32:43

Definitely! It is such a problem.

Do you mean Morley is going to do sibling priority for the after school care? That is interesting.

CambridgeRiver Fri 29-Jul-16 17:08:02

Yes, although it's not confirmed. They have been considering it. It does make sense, as that is how schools and many nurseries work. I appreciate that it doesn't solve the problem for children without siblings, though!

TJkids15 Sat 27-Aug-16 13:19:13

TJ Kids has spaces at its Clubs based at St Philips Primary School. We have been collecting children from other schools including Ridgefield and Morley. We do a walking bus from Ridgefield and Taxi transport from Morley. We arrange collection through our local taxi firm and a member of our staff will accompany children from the school. TJ Kids is rated Outstanding by OFSTED for our services and we take every opportunity to assist parents and other After School Clubs by providing support where and when we can. If parents would like to contact us for further information please email tjkidscic14@gmail.com

SeniorWranglered Sun 28-Aug-16 08:35:03

Fawcett's scheme is rammed as well, not least because the school expanded but the scheme didn't at the same rate. But I think they want to get a private provider on site to set up a second one for children in the Shelfords and Trumpington. I have no idea whether there are a lot of firms around who do this kind of thing, though, so maybe it won't happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now