swimming lessons

(19 Posts)
Kiwirose Thu 14-Jul-16 10:17:00

Hi, My children are 7 and just coming to the end of swimming lessons with Seals Swimming (who I would thoroughly recommend) in Linton and they need to progress to a pool that is both longer and deeper. This one is about 12 m long and 1.2m deep.

Just wondering where people take their children and what they think of the teaching and the price. Would you recommend your lessons?

thank you for your help

neolar Thu 14-Jul-16 11:29:33

My kids had lessons at the Leys, but to be honest, I thought the teaching there was very poor. The kids made minimal progress. Teachers barely gave any feedback and one teacher spent a lot of time not actually looking at the kids at all. I moved kids to Elite swimming, which is great but mind-shatteringly expensive.

orchardy Thu 14-Jul-16 15:10:26

Chesterton Sports centre is fine and not too expensive. Both my kids learned there and are competent swimmers. It comes more naturally to some children than others, so speed of progress through the levels depends on the child, but they learn and seem to enjoy it.

SoftSheen Thu 14-Jul-16 20:21:14

Elite Swimming Academy is excellent and runs lessons at various pools in the Cambridge area. ESA have a maximum of 3 children per class (DD currently has only two in hers) and professional teachers; consequently progress is fast. However, as pp said, not cheap- currently £18(!) per 30 min lesson.

PippaFawcett Thu 14-Jul-16 20:27:38

What are the lessons like at Parkside Pool?

Kiwirose Thu 14-Jul-16 22:43:15

Elite sound good but not sure if we can afford that much - might have to work on hubby. I would also be keen to hear about Parkside or Abbey if anyone has experience of them. Thank you all for you help so far. I do appreciate it.

BikeRider33 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:33:15

My ds had lessons at Parkside. He enjoyed them but struggled to hear - before we moved he had lessons in a school pool with far less noise. He didn't make much progress so I moved him to Elite. I would give Parkside a try - the time / age of children may make a big difference to the volume.

northofcambridge Fri 15-Jul-16 09:21:50

Lots of people seem to go to Parkside and seem pleased with them - also Abbey but less so but its a bit luck of draw. If they are finishing Seals I wonder if just taking them along to the pool a few times would work though?

We were with Elite but found it expensive and the quality of teaching variable, my children now go to Parkside - mainly because it is reasonably priced and convienient. I think some of the teachers are better than others but they have had some good ones there.

GirtonGirl Fri 15-Jul-16 20:54:06

We used Chesterton and were quite happy with the lessons there, but not ideal if you are coming from south of cambridge.

TicTacToe20 Sat 20-Aug-16 15:38:22

Hi Kiwi Rose, I have 3 swimming girls 11,9 and 7. I am North of Cambridge. I tried Parkside years ago: advantages loads of slots on offer, disadvantage (if driving and parking) having to use Queen Anne car park and paying for parking. Chesterton wouldn't even let me go on waiting list!!! Ended up at King's Hedges learner pool. It is basic, but clean and lessons cheap to all families as in sure start area. When children needed deep water I went to Abbey. Parking free and easy. All of above are ASA swimming classes, was Everyone Active run, now "Better". We have had excellent teachers without paying through the nose. These days with Better (and probably others) you can log in and see your child's swim record which is good.

Kiwirose Fri 02-Sep-16 22:37:32

Hey Tic-tac,

thanks. have to say that free parkin is a good draw in Cambridge. I have never been to the Abby so I guess I should check it out. this sounds like a good option.

Just seen that The Leys have lessons on a Sunday which is a good time for us. Anyone tried them?

Kiwi x

LiamElite Mon 05-Sep-16 14:40:31

Hello all,
I'm from Elite, I'm one of the coaches and can safely say, all our teachers are passionate about teaching and coaching. We are all from a competitive swimming back ground and so consequently have experience of both teaching the FUNdamentals (ASA method) and the more serious competitive side of swimming.
Our prices are based on class sizes limited to three, This guarantees progression for your child, and crucially it gives us the flexibility to teach your child to their specific needs. We often take dispraxic and Autistic children specifically because we are so flexible in this way. Something that not all schools can offer just because of the class sizes.
We are running some open days this year and next so you can get a taste of what we offer and who we are. Please keep an eye out via our facebook page www.facebook.com/eliteswimmingacademy/
If you have any queries or questions please don't hesitate to contact us. Our website is www.eliteswimmingacademy.co.uk/
Thanks for reading.
Liam

StillCalendula Tue 06-Sep-16 08:18:52

Just wanted to add my support for Elite.
Liam from Elite, who just posted above, taught my son with ADHD (undiagnosed at the time) to swim in 5 x 1:1 sessions. He was 9.5, all his friends could swim but he just couldn't work it out. It was really getting him down. We live abroad, so not the same access to swimming lessons as in the UK.
He now swims competitively.
The lessons are expensive, yes, but in my opinion completely worth it.

StillCalendula Tue 06-Sep-16 08:31:13

I'm not linked to Elite, by the way. I just felt really happy when I saw Liam's name. Learning to swim has been one of the most important things for my son. It has really meant so much.
He now has a new set of friends at the swimming club that only know him as a swimmer who does his best, rather than the ADHD kid under the desk at school.
The swimming training has helped him learn how to focus, which together with medication has had a dramatic influence on his school work.
Rambling on...but thanks, Liam.

romseyroo Tue 06-Sep-16 13:04:03

Another strong vote for Elite. Unfortunately we're having to try the Leys as with two kids we just couldn't afford it any more, but they have been amazing! If the Leys is as bad as neolar suggests we might have to eat beans and toast more often and go back to Elite smile

romseyroo Tue 06-Sep-16 13:07:22

We had a really really bad experience with Abbey. The lifeguards sometimes used to sit and read instead of watching the 50-odd children in the pool!!! My DD also had a series of temporary teachers (at one point a different one every week!), one of whom decided that splashing water into extremely water-nervous DDs face was the best way of getting her used to the water, then told me that 'it was the only way she was going to learn' shock. Admittedly this was a few years ago now, but I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Peggetty Sat 10-Sep-16 18:03:56

We also left Abbey after getting a teacher who had no oompf to engage DD after a day at school, whispered (not good in that noisy environment with so many other lessons going on) and just didn't seem to engage with the individuals in her class. It was a shame because DD did stages 1 and 2 there but partway through stage 3 I realised we were both miserable once a week. It does have the parking so I sometimes wonder about trying again and hoping for a different teacher but DH would like her to try elsewhere (he's not the one who would have to ferry her into town at rush-hour...).

I am going to look at Elite but it's a bit costly for us, I guess you get what you pay for. Does anyone know of similar swim schools for an 8 yr old?

Peggetty Sat 10-Sep-16 19:29:13

Have found Nuffield off Coldhams Lane, anyone heard of them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now