Pre school or other activity options for a 3 year old

(12 Posts)
CanadaRelo Tue 09-Aug-16 16:05:55

Hi all-

My family will be relocating to Cambridge at a bit of last-minute notice. We have 3 year old and 1.5 year old girls.

We had hoped to have our oldest in some sort of regular preschool or similar learning environment, but it appears we are far too late for the application/selection process for the national program?

I am hoping the forum may have some suggestions as to what our options might be, either public or private. We are south of the city close to Addenbrooke's, but will have a car and child carrying bike.

GirtonGirl Tue 09-Aug-16 18:50:41

Welcome to Cambridge!
You will be too late for Nursery Schools but will probably be able to find a place at a local pre-school - you apply direct to them. You would be able to use your 15 free hours with them. You would get this from September if your 3yo was born before end March, otherwise you would need to pay until after Christmas when it would be free.
I don't know places south of Cambridge as I am on the other side, but am sure someone else will have some suggestions, otherwise Google...
Or try asking at your local children's centre - Homerton will probably be the closest to you.
Good luck!

SoftSheen Sat 13-Aug-16 20:30:34

Brunswick Nursery School is one of the best nursery schools in Cambridge (rated Offsted 'Outstanding' and very highly regarded by parents), and according to its website, still has some places available for September. They will be closed at the moment (only open during school term times) but it may well be worth contacting them at the beginning of September.

northofcambridge Sun 14-Aug-16 20:47:24

You should be able to find a space somewhere as the population is highly mobile - you can also use the 15 free hours at private nurseries - this should be useful

Kiddies76Lport Wed 17-Aug-16 21:32:50

Hi I'm new to all this, but am desperate for some advise of possible please ? I have a 18m.o l.g & a 3.5y.o l.b , my l.b normally goes to preschool but is obviously off for summer hols, hes recently started playing up being insolent & violent towards his sister. I'm using the naughty step which normally works but he seems to have upped the anti and seems almost to have started the terrible twos AGAIN , my l.g is a very placcid little girl which is normally fairly eeasy going but shes recently started the terrible two behaviour symptoms too, & has started cutting molars so rarely sleeps or eats properly . I'm finding it hard to get things done about the house with all this going on & rarely get any substantial amount of work done in the house. I have family but they aren't at all interested in helping out mainly due to living in another country !! I have NO help during the day & have recently been diagnosed with Anaemia & a very low blood serotonin level despite maximum dose of Fluoxetine for PND , I could really do with someone to help me , don't have lost all ability to tell with what & for how long since I'm soooo down - any suggestions or advise from parents with a similar aged kiddies or age gap would be greatly appreciated as I feel I'm going out of my mind with worrying that I'm not doing enough for the kids ! on a bad day - Many Thanks Mums/Dads for any advise that could better my situation at the moment !! Thanks

jaynebxl Thu 18-Aug-16 08:21:49

Op you're not too late for nursery schools or school nurseries. Worth checking out as lots don't fill up so will have spaces.

jaynebxl Thu 18-Aug-16 08:23:14

Kiddies you will get more response if you start your own thread perhaps in main mumsnet.

Lizardc Thu 18-Aug-16 22:02:26

Your 3 year old will get 15 free hours at preschool from September (not January) - the funding starts from the term after they are 3, so that should be fine. Also some of the school and council run preschools do still have places - don't discount them. And I agree that Brunswick has a wonderful reputation.

Peggetty Thu 18-Aug-16 23:02:31

There are also lots of groups around the area, which you can take them all to, eg Homerton Childrens Centre has messy play, the Library in Cherry Hinton has a story/music grp, both churches on Wulfstan way do toddler groups, we were spoilt for choice when DD was small.

CanadaRelo Sun 21-Aug-16 18:16:02

Thanks everyone. This is really helpful.

The Homerton Children's center seems quite nice. Does the nursery school have a good reputation?

jaynebxl Sun 21-Aug-16 18:59:33

It does have a great reputation but is usually oversubscribed. You could put your name down if there's a waiting list though.

glorious Tue 06-Sep-16 13:50:33

Hi, we've just moved to roughly the same area and I have a 3.5 yo who is about to start at Homerton. Let me know if you want to meet for a chat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now