Start of reception class

(9 Posts)
Sadiedog Mon 12-Sep-16 22:12:32

Just wondering a year in advance, do most reception classes in Cambridge schools start a week later than the regular school terms? Looking at my Facebook feed that seems to be the case in other areas (lots of reception kids' first days at school today)

Ours started last Wed (half days) after home visits Mon and Tues but I expect it depends on the school.

CamPoster Tue 13-Sep-16 18:24:01

Ours does staggered starts over about a week/fortnight (can't quite remember), so there are only a handful of new kids starting each day.

GirtonGirl Tue 13-Sep-16 20:16:24

Ours started Thursday last week (other children back last Monday and have a choice of mornings or full days.
I know someone who started last Monday but is only on half days for the first 2 weeks.
So they vary. You could try asking at the schools you are interested in.

PippaFawcett Tue 13-Sep-16 20:45:18

Ours started last Monday and it was a staggered start. Fortunately DS started on the first day as DH and I both work full time. They do half days for two weeks which is a total pain for us but some do it for even longer so we are just juggling like mad to keep everything going.

It didn't help that we both used up a lot of annual leave earlier in the year when the childminder was sick/took term time holidays.

Sadiedog Wed 14-Sep-16 08:01:29

Yes it does seem like a pain to find cover for half days for two weeks! Am hoping that a grandparent or two might like a fortnight in Cambridge next September...!

PippaFawcett Wed 14-Sep-16 08:14:11

That seems to be how a lot of people do it if they don't have a SAHP.

Lizardc Thu 15-Sep-16 22:04:18

Ours did one home visit and one half day the first week. Then straight into full time from week 2. I think that is too much for some children TBH - it's a big change for kids and a lot to take in so a gradual start is good.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstoodinCamb Thu 15-Sep-16 22:06:36

Ours are staggered mornings one week afternoons including lunch the next then full time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now