pregnant in Cambridge - what happens next?

(22 Posts)
seekingDIYhelp Thu 22-Sep-16 21:00:41

After 2 years of infertility and 1 year of treatment, I got a positive pregnancy test (well, 7 to be specific) so I guess I'm 4+5. I'm really chuffed but also nervous and clueless.

I've told my clinic, who basically said 'Great, bye then!' My GP has noted it. What happens now?! Do I need to phone my GP in a week or so to get some kind of booking in appointment? Or do I report it to a midwife?

I'm keen to have the harmony test - does anyone have any recommendations for where I go?

Any other top tips? I really never thought I'd get here.

PippaFawcett Thu 22-Sep-16 21:15:47

Congratulations!!! When I was pregnant, the GP referred me to the midwifery service and I had a book in appointment with her when I was around 8 weeks pregnant, then I had my first scan at around 13 weeks.

I haven't heard of a harmony test.

PippaFawcett Thu 22-Sep-16 21:17:15

Also, when I read your thread title I wanted to reply: "You automatically get issued with your child's first book." Because it is Cambridge. But then I read your post and I didn't want to be flippant, so congratulations again!!

seekingDIYhelp Thu 22-Sep-16 21:19:04

Thanks Pippa! Flippant is fine, DH and I keep oscillating between moments of cracking jokes and moments of pure terror. It doesn't feel real!

PippaFawcett Thu 22-Sep-16 21:21:32

I think you probably just need to double check that your GP surgery is putting you on the right list for the midwife. It has been a few years since I had my youngest though. And in true Mumsnet fashion, it is never too soon to start checking whether you are in the catchment of a good school wink

drayton Thu 22-Sep-16 21:31:40

Ring your GP and make a booking appointment with the midwife (it'll be at 8-10 weeks ish). Does your clinic give you an early scan? Mine did, at around 6-7 weeks when the heartbeat becomes visible.

I had a harmony test with DD2 after the nuchal test was a bit uncertain - I went to East Anglia Ultrasound. We also used them for reassurance scans with both DDs, all fine.

Congratulations! Infertility is shit, and there's nothing quite so terrifying and wonderful as pregnancy having been through so much to get there. DD1 is two, DD2 is nearly six months and it still doesn't feel real, so get used to that feeling grin

NeverKnowinglyUnderstoodinCamb Thu 22-Sep-16 22:30:56

Get thee to birthlight lovely antenatal yoga classes. My only sadness is that I didn't start until I was 20 weeks. Was a beautiful way to spend quality time with my bump

seekingDIYhelp Thu 22-Sep-16 22:33:14

Drayton thanks so much, that's really helpful! My clinic doesn't recommend an early scan because I 'only' did 8 rounds of ovulation induction, so I'm low risk. I was thinking about doing the harmony test at 10 weeks. It is really good to have a recommendation, I hadn't found them online.

Cammumm Fri 23-Sep-16 19:38:45

People start booking nursery places grin

I'm serious! People really do seem to start booking them as soon as they know they're pregnant. And antenatal classes too with the NCT. I tried to book at about 6 months and was pretty much laughed at for leaving it so late.

Medically, very little early on. Take folic acid obviously. Apart from that they don't seem to want much to do with you for the first few weeks.

Congratulations by the way smile

drayton Sat 24-Sep-16 10:07:13

No problem, OP smile Hope all goes well for you!

seekingDIYhelp Sat 24-Sep-16 15:33:39

Thank you everyone.

Never, which yoga class did you go to? There are quite a few around.

Canmumm I'm still very scared of miscarriage, so I might wait a bit longer til I start worrying about nurseries grin

Cakestop Sun 25-Sep-16 08:49:27

Congratulations OP - I'm +2 days ahead of you with my 2nd DC! I've already got a midwife appointment at the local GPs for around the 8 week mark, so no issues there. After that it's just a case of going along to your scans and check ups. I'm relatively new to Cambridge so no experience of Addenbrookes/Rosie etc. I might give the Norfolk Street Saturday pregnancy Yoga sessions a go...

seekingDIYhelp Sun 25-Sep-16 10:24:14

Cakestop congratulations to you too! I've just seen that Norfolk St one - I've done non-pregnancy yoga with Karin, she's very good, so I might see you there in a few weeks.

I'll call my GP on Mon. They are very sweet but very inefficient!

Cakestop Sun 25-Sep-16 10:36:56

Good luck and maybe see you at the yoga classes then... (I've not done much yoga before so I expect I'll be the one falling over!)

seekingDIYhelp Sun 25-Sep-16 10:44:41

That would be great. I'll be the one going 'damn, I used to be able to do this!'

Mousebank Sun 25-Sep-16 10:46:15

Yay! I'm in Cambridge too , I did NCT (much better than the NHS classes imo). Delivered at the Delivery Suite at the Rosie (barely anyone makes it into the Birthing Centre) lol

NameChange30 Sun 25-Sep-16 17:23:59

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm in Cambridge too. The booking appointment is usually at 8 weeks or thereabouts. At my GP surgery, I just booked the midwife appointment directly, but some make you see a GP first, so it's best to phone and ask a receptionist.

I waited for the results of my combined screening test (which is done at the 12 week scan) before deciding whether to have any private tests. Luckily my results came back as low risk so I didn't feel the need.

The Arc website has useful information about the Harmony test and other NIPT options:
www.arc-uk.org/tests-explained/non-invasive-prenatal-testing-nipt

I'm doing pregnancy yoga which is wonderful. You can start from 14 weeks. There is a good list of classes in Cambridge at www.joyfulbirthbaby.com

For ante natal classes, I hesitated between NCT (which is £215 for the Signature course) and a hypnobirthing course at the Rosie run by Birth Sense (£250). I went for the latter in the end, as I really want to try hypnobirthing, and the course has excellent reviews on the website and Facebook page.

Cakestop Mon 26-Sep-16 07:42:11

I went to hypnobirthing classes for my first over NCT. Highly recommend. I'm wondering whether to go for NCT this time seeing as we are new to the area. Hmm! Will go along to yoga classes when I get to 14 weeks.

seekingDIYhelp Sat 01-Oct-16 11:28:14

Thanks so much for all your advice. Sorry I went silent - had a scare so I ended up at the early pregnancy unit having a few early scans and blood tests. But for now thankfully I'm still pregnant, and even braved a pilates class yesterday (with a teacher trained in teaching pregnant women).

NameChange30 Sat 01-Oct-16 17:26:47

Sorry about your scare but glad all is well. Hope everything goes smoothly from now on! How far along are you now?

seekingDIYhelp Sat 01-Oct-16 18:21:51

Thanks NC30. According to the NHS calculator I'm 6 weeks. I've got another scan at EPU on Friday, I've got everything crossed it is all still going ok then and that I might hear a heartbeat.

Cakestop Sun 02-Oct-16 13:08:51

Scares aren't nice. I hope things stay settled for you and all goes well at your scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now