Local Talk

huntingdon locals and villages

(45 Posts)
kiwibella Thu 30-Oct-08 18:11:59

we're coming up on Tuesday to look at property and Hinchingbrooke School for dd!! I'm so excited grin.

flowerybeanbag Thu 30-Oct-08 19:02:46

How exciting kiwi!

Hinchingbrooke is a good school, if we're still in the same place DS is likely to go there.

grin

thegrowlygus Mon 03-Nov-08 19:40:46

Yep _ I too have heard good stuff about HInchingbrooke SchooL!

kiwibella Tue 04-Nov-08 23:01:44

We loved, loved, loved Huntingdon(shire)... it was brilliant to be out of London, surrounded by green spaces, see kids on bikes, curtain twitchers yadda yadda yadda. We would take one of the places that we looked at but have time on our side (it's not available to January anyways) so will keep looking.

We also stumbled on Barratt Homes development (Genesis) and fell head-over-heels for one of their homes... the key was in the door so we went in for a nosey!! Unfortunately the sales office was closed so we will follow that up. The estate is behind the secondary school - which we adored.

I'm so confused now... the plan was Brampton. We looked at one place which was nice but I wonder whether we shouldn't head closer to Huntingdon. Am I going to feel constrained by a village?

DadInsteadofMum Wed 05-Nov-08 12:58:46

Having moved out of London a few years ago and now living in a village in Huntingdonshire, I would recommend a village For the sense of community, the security the kids feel of being part of a group (they know most of the kids of their age in the village), and just the quietness of it. You don't have all the facilities of a town but I don't miss them.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 05-Nov-08 13:02:45

Brampton is a lovely village - I lived there for 5 years (well my parents did)
Hinchingbrooke is a good school My brother did his A'levels there.

flowerybeanbag Wed 05-Nov-08 13:07:24

Brampton is nice, and it is very close to Huntingdon.

Depends what you want. When we moved here I initially wanted quiet and remote, having lived in Wimbledon for a few years.

We actually ended up in a villageish, big village/town, and I have shop, doctors, chemist, hairdressers for DS and couple of restaurants all within walking distance, but retain the community bit. I am very pleased about that. Coming from Wimbledon I would have felt more isolated if I'd not had those amenities walking distance but also would not have been happy nearer central Huntingdon.

kiwibella Wed 05-Nov-08 13:11:38

flowery... your wish-list sounds like mine. I'm intrigued now tho, wondering where you are since I'm presuming you are in the catchment for HB?

Any opinions on Stukeley Meadows? We liked a property there but wonder if it is out on its own amongst the superstores / business parks.

kiwibella Wed 05-Nov-08 13:15:52

thanks Dad... it's good to know that you don't miss the facilities.

flowerybeanbag Wed 05-Nov-08 13:56:57

We're in Godmanchester. Actually thinking about it I think I've posted that before so not revealing anything too much. It's technically a town but feels more like a village.

Stukeley Meadows, don't really know it very well I'm afraid. Handy for Homebase...grin

flowerybeanbag Wed 05-Nov-08 14:04:07

I'm fairly certain Stukeley Meadows area would be St Peters catchment rather than Hinchingbrooke if that's important.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 05-Nov-08 14:17:43

have just found this on the Hinchingbrooke site

The catchment area includes the catchment areas of the following primary schools: Brampton,
Buckden, Brington, Cromwell Park, Godmanchester, Offord, Spaldwick and St Anne’s
Godmanchester. The catchment area also includes part of the catchment areas of the following
schools: Huntingdon Junior, Thongsley Fields and St Johns detailed as follows Huntingdon
to the
south and west of Ermine Street (except the Stukeley Meadows Estate), Cromwell Walk; Brookside
and Nursery Road; Hinchingbrooke Park Housing Estate, and the following streets from the
northern part of Huntingdon Surrey
Road, Richmond Close, Kingston Close, Kent Road, Dover
Close, Deal Close, Maple Drive, Sycamore Drive, Sapley Square, Essex Road, Nene Road, Thames
Road, Norfolk Road, Sapley Park, Medway Road, Foster Court, Lucas Court, Lavender Court, Garner
Court, Armstrong Court, Beale Court, Gimber Court, Tomlinson Court, Godeby Court, Judson Court,
St Barnabas Court, Selby Court, Cotton Court, Hazelwood Walk and Coneygear Road (even numbers
4062).
Although the whole of St John’s catchment area is not located within Hinchingbrooke’s
area, the school itself is.

flowerybeanbag Wed 05-Nov-08 14:30:07

On this page of Cambridgeshire CC website there is a downloadable set of maps of catchment areas for secondary schools in the county.

kiwibella Wed 05-Nov-08 20:05:00

thanks BTPOGS and FBB... that info is very useful.

the website for Godmanchester is lovely. Funny, I didn't even notice it on our travels yesterday grin.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 05-Nov-08 22:18:37

There are areas of Huntingdon where I would not want to live.. however there are great schools and its central location means you can get to most places in the country easily. I live in Cambridge now but Mum and Dad live in a little village on the A1 about 5 miles from Huntingdon.

kiwibella Thu 06-Nov-08 21:40:07

BTPOGS do you mean that there are areas in Huntingdon that you wouldn't live because they aren't nice areas / not nice people / no amenities? It seems so small to have pockets of "good" and "bad".

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 06-Nov-08 22:51:57

oxmoor was awful a few years ago.. not sure if it still is but houseprices always used to be about 30% cheaper there but it was for good reason.

kiwibella Wed 12-Nov-08 13:53:14

thanks for asking grey skull (on another thread grin)

Frustratingly, we didnt get to visit Hinchinbrooke School because they couldn't see us. We were hoping to go back up tomorrow but I have been phoning every day but still not had someone return my call to make a booking!!

We saw three properties... Brampton, St Neots, and Stukeley Meadows. Of these, we would love the house in Stukeley Meadows but I suspect that it is not in HB's catchment.

Same deal-i-o with St Peter's and their response to my calls!!

Surprisingly, we stumbled on the Barrat development and loved a house there. We are now trying to sort things out to consider buying... seem to be stumped by our visa status... but we should become permanent residents in December (or however long the Home Office takes).

Last night hubs found a property at Comberton and insists that we have a look at the village school (you'll know why). It's not on a train line for hubs to come back for work... but that's not stopping him grin.

I'm undecided whether we come back tomorrow... it's all in the too hard basket atm wink.

kiwibella Wed 12-Nov-08 13:53:44

make a booking???? I mean an appointment.

Lilymaid Wed 12-Nov-08 22:34:15

Comberton VC is a very good school, so well worth considering. It also gives the opportunity for your DCs to go on to Hills Road 6th Form College if they are very bright (though there have been plans to establish a sixth form at Comberton).

kiwibella Thu 13-Nov-08 11:56:07

yes, I certainly see that Comberton is a fab school. However, I don't know whether it makes the 10 mile to a train station journey any more do-able?

DadInsteadofMum Fri 14-Nov-08 23:02:45

Depnding on which train he goes for roads can be very clogged up - 10 miles takes me half hour for the 0813

kiwibella Sat 15-Nov-08 01:06:37

thanks Dad!

sweetnitanitro Wed 19-Nov-08 18:28:09

Stukely is nice, I think we looked at some houses there a few years ago. The prices tend to be higher because they are near the RAF base so the houses are in demand. You mentioned about your visa, are you from the US? If so, you'll be right at home, there are tons of Americans round here grin

If you want any other info just ask, I've lived in Hunts for about 5 years now and I grew up in Peterborough so I know the area pretty well I dunno about schools though, my little girl is only 6 weeks wink

kiwibella Thu 20-Nov-08 09:01:38

congrats on your beautiful bundle sweet!!

Thanks for the reply re stukely. We are back up tomorrow and have appointments to visit HB and St Peters. Dd and I already prefer HB - from prospectus and phone calls with staff. It will be interesting to see for ourselves.

If you know of anyone with a rental property looking for tenants let me know. We are a fab KIWI family grin thinking about renting for awhile first. Tho, if a mortgage gets approved we would love to buy our own piece of paradise!

kiwibella Sun 14-Dec-08 15:50:35

we have bought a place and hoping to move next weekend!! I can't believe it really.

Thanks for all your help during our search grin.

flowerytaleofNewYork Sun 14-Dec-08 16:16:03

Kiwi that's very exciting! Whereabouts will you be, or would you rather not say?

If I can do anything do let me know.

kiwibella Mon 15-Dec-08 13:33:42

thanks Flowery... Huntingdon, near Hinchingbrooke School - where my dd will be going.

I can't believe how easily everything has fallen in to place grin.

sweetnitanitro Mon 15-Dec-08 21:11:44

Cool! That's a nice part of Huntingdon. Welcome to the area grin

Brilliant - that really did fall into place well! congratulations - hope you have a happy christmas in your new home.

kiwibella Sun 11-Jan-09 21:34:43

thanks grin we're here, we're in, we're still surrounded by boxes (and flat-packs needing assembling wink).

I want to ask for more advice! I'm looking at different playgroups / things to do with my little one now hubs is back at work and dd is at school (do I love HB school or what?!?!). Do you have any recommendations or suggestions. We are living in Hinchingbrooke area and I have a car.

By the power of.... Did you decide to get a big shot?

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 11-Jan-09 21:39:02

no decided against it for now as the messy playgroup has applied for a £500 grant if we get it the group is going to buy a laser cutter thing.

Kiwi - how old are your children?
I am in Cambridge but if you ever fancy a coffee would be happy to meet up.

kiwibella Sun 11-Jan-09 21:54:07

grin thanks again and I appreciate the offer.

I have two girls - dd1 is 12 and dd2 is almost 2.

Fingers crossed for the grant... I'm envious about the cutter.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 11-Jan-09 22:09:00

My DS2 is 2 - if you fancy a wander round Hinchingbrooke country park one day let me know smile

kiwibella Sun 11-Jan-09 22:41:21

grey skull... that would be fab. I live so close to the park (we were there this morning).

Whenever suits you... we don't have any plans grin. You can email me bella at tikitour dot net.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 11-Jan-09 22:43:51

sorry to crash - greyskull how far is hinchinbrooke and what's there? we usually go to Milton, just wondering if it is worth the extra travel - not for an hour's bike ride, but maybe an afternoon in the summer.
And were you Baileys over xmas? I aksed on the troll/namechange thread, but haven't gone back to see, and less likely to have hundreds of threads to wade through here.

kiwibella Sun 11-Jan-09 22:47:48

here there's a pdf brochure you can download about the park.

There is a county fair there soon - 1st Feb, I think?

ChasingSquirrels Sun 11-Jan-09 22:53:27

thanks, looks like it is a bit bigger than milton but not much different. probably not worth the 40 min dirve (milton 10 mins) unless there is something special.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 11-Jan-09 22:56:18

yes was baileys and drank far too much of it blush
It takes me about 25 mins to get there - I go quite alot as Mum lives about 5 miles from there.

Kiwi - will email you this coming week is quite busy but perhaps the week after?

Chasing - do you fancy a get together sometime?

ChasingSquirrels Sun 11-Jan-09 22:58:45

you drive faster than google maps then
Yes, would be lovely. I am around friday's, and after school but don't know how ds1 would react to that, seems like there aren't enough days in the week to get afterschool things done.
catherine @ e-mail . wanadoo . co . uk

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 11-Jan-09 23:02:10

a little but since the average speed camera's there is little choice grin
Fridays are usually good for me - although this coming week I am busy.
Would be great to put a face to the name smile

ChasingSquirrels Sun 11-Jan-09 23:03:08

face on profile, after birth pic of ds2, am v envious of your cake making skills.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 11-Jan-09 23:04:54

Doh! I never thought of looking - I have often wondered if we have met in RL at the swings

ChasingSquirrels Sun 11-Jan-09 23:07:15

lol.
doubt it re swings, we walk past ours on the way home from school, so frequent them quite alot since ds1 started school. Then usually B'well if going somewhere else.

Pippinella Fri 13-Feb-09 21:32:49

AFAIK, H'Brooke DO accept Stukeley Meadows pupils due to the non-main-road access walk past the hospital, its actually equidistant from that end of SM.

Have actually heard v positive stuff about St Peters school of late though.

Stukeley Meadows is great to live, its only a 10 min walk into town or to the rail station and hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now