Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Local Talk

Leys/Perse Schools

(8 Posts)
Ferncottage Sun 07-Jun-09 18:58:42

Does anyone have any ideas of the advantages of these two schools for girls, and which is good for what?
sorry about inelegant English 3 year old trying to help

cazzybabs Sun 07-Jun-09 21:54:17

Perse is more accedmic - harder to get into

Leys less so, but is more of a boarding school - lots of after school stuff

Perse girls - all girls, very competive, not for everyone

There is also St.Marys - all girls, more like the Leys in terms of acedmic standard

Ferncottage Mon 08-Jun-09 16:36:45

thanks cazzybabs - definitely want co-ed as they have no brother!

Lilymaid Mon 08-Jun-09 16:43:38

The Perse (secondary) was a lovely school for my academic DS1. Not at all pushy and certainly not socially snobbish but excellent teaching. Not sure what it will be like when it goes properly co-ed next year (and am fed up with seeing the adverts at every bus stop/outside Waitrose!) We went round the Leys for DS2 and felt it catered for a different market to us, but if you have plenty of money and live in that sort of society, the academic results are quite good given the relatively unselective intake.

ELongstocking Tue 23-Jun-09 12:14:02

The Leys also has a full day on a Saturday - do you really fancy that?

Lilymaid Tue 23-Jun-09 13:54:22

The Perse has a fairly normal school day - Leys day is much longer even for day students. At Leys you can either be a day pupil (go home after classes, but have to do Saturdays and occasional Sunday chapel and other events) or a day boarder - stay for more activities and some prep time (?)or be a full boarder. Leys is considerably more expensive than the Perse and day boarding is more expensive than being a day pupil.

Ferncottage Tue 30-Jun-09 10:18:37

thanks everyone very helpful

hopkins1 Tue 20-Apr-10 19:37:39

Hi

I am a parent with my child attending St Colette's Prep School. I cannot praise it enough. He is just 4 years old (last month) and is already reading and writing beautifully. He loves school, and literally would go every day given the choice.

The teachers are wonderful and the level of pastoral care is so high that i feel i am leaving my son with a relative rather than a teacher!

The company that own St Colette's prep school have just announced that it will be closing at the end of this academic year, but a parent body is setting up a "new" school in its place which will be run as a charity and will be opening in september. This we hope will continue to grow into a full prep school (ie to take children through to year 6/ age 11)

If you are interested in more details, please contact me and i will send you all the details.

The fees are set to be one of the lowest in the entire of Cambridge and having two children in state schools and 1 in St Colette's i can honestly say that the value for money is exceptional! I would never now consider the fees to be an issue (we aren't rich but just perhaps have different priorities to other people?)

The classes are so much smaller, the teacher is approachable, he has one on one tuition every day, the lunches are fabulous, the facilities are great.... i could go on and on.

Anyway, please just let me know if you'd like more information about the school. I promise that for once in life the value of theservice you receive will far outweigh the cost!

Very Happy Parent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now