Local Talk

Just parking my butt on the Friendship Bench

(203 Posts)
Crocvillagemum Thu 22-Nov-12 22:11:48

I have home-made gingerbread men with wobbly Ribena icing if anyone wants to join me?

Becketts Wed 28-Nov-12 19:47:28

Hello! Why doesn't this show up on my active convos? Anyway, I think I spoke to you before the new local pages were set up, the DDs and I are frequent visitors to the crocodiles. Was very muddy last time we went.

How do you make wobbly Ribena icing?

Crocvillagemum Sat 08-Dec-12 17:12:17

Hello becketts! (Eau Rouge as was? I'm getting a bit of a motor racing vibe...)

Wobbly Ribena icing is normal glace icing made with Ribena and icing sugar instead of water and icing sugar, and applied inexpertly with a kids' icing syringe.

Let me know if you are croccing anytime soon. I is a lady of leisure on maternity leave at present, so generally around and about!

Becketts Sun 09-Dec-12 11:38:12

My motor racing-themed disguise has so far fooled a total of zero people grin

Is there anything on at the croc farm for Christmas? Last year they went so overboard that we couldn't afford to go.

Crocvillagemum Sun 09-Dec-12 15:30:43

I dunno as there is this year. They did a lot for the Jubilee and I'm not sure last Xmas's efforts totally paid off for them either. But I haven't been for a few weeks. Likely to have lunch there Tues (just me and DD) as I'm having the kitchen redecorated and can't face trying to heat soup or make sarnies while dodging Dulux Trade drips. So will report back! (Or see you there if you're around?)

Crocvillagemum Tue 01-Jan-13 23:09:17

Is there anybody there?...

Becketts Wed 02-Jan-13 17:27:57

I'm alive, I survived Christmas! Still up for a meet up? Someone from St Ives just posted. How do we organise a proper meet up? I'm so confused by all this new local stuff.

Crocvillagemum Thu 03-Jan-13 06:23:07

Yes indeed to the meet up! Dunno how to organise though. Is there a meet up board? <shuffles off to look>

Crocvillagemum Thu 03-Jan-13 06:30:31

<shuffles back> no, there isn't. I guess we just have to try to divert traffic over here!

Crocvillagemum Thu 03-Jan-13 07:13:21

Oh dear, I am thick. Have just read the FAQ for Local and they say this is the place to organise meet-ups! <shuffles off to bang head against large haddock>

Becketts Thu 03-Jan-13 07:43:18

So we're none the wiser then? grin

JoandRo Thu 03-Jan-13 11:41:45

Well, you've successfully diverted me here, so here I am, the St Ives (ish) person. Have just found out that one of the houses we love might not be for sale any more so we might be in our village a bit longer... well, we shall see, and I can still zip along the busway.

I do work full-time with Thursdays off but I can be quite flexible most weeks. Where is fun to meet? (I don't have a car but I'm very good at buses).

Becketts Thu 03-Jan-13 13:14:21

Oh crikey, I've got no idea about bus routes. Is Huntingdon Garden and Leisure on the route from St Ives-Huntingdon? I think it might be. That would be good for a meet up, there's a cafe and a small play area that's undercover so even if it rains the children could play outside while we eat cake.

JoandRo Thu 03-Jan-13 13:54:25

Ah we love Garden and Leisure! I think it is too, though I'm not sure where you can get off, but DH can always drop me off (he likes it there and also likes to go walking in Houghton so could combine...)

Crocvillagemum Thu 03-Jan-13 21:16:34

Hunts G&L works for me - plenty of pushchair space, reasonable coffee, and stuff to keep toddlers entertained. Thursdays it would just be me and DD. And would need to be before mid-March as I am probably returning to work then. (Don't work Mondays or Fridays though!) Think there's a bus stop opposite?

Becketts Thu 03-Jan-13 21:31:34

How's this month looking? I'm having surgery at the end of the month so will be recovering for half of February.

Crocvillagemum Thu 03-Jan-13 21:42:28

No probs at this end for a Jan meet-up. (Hope the surgery.is nothing serious!)

Becketts Fri 04-Jan-13 08:09:26

Depends how you mean by serious- it's not life threatening but am seriously nervous!! It's just clearing up a few battle scars. And by 'battle' I mean 'childbirth'.

JoandRo Fri 04-Jan-13 09:23:19

eek...I mean, I'm sure it will be absolutely fine. I'd say that means you definitely should have some cake very soon.

I could do the 17th or the 24th, in the morning?

Becketts Fri 04-Jan-13 10:02:25

I think I can do the 17th in the morning, got to go for a hospital appointment in the afternoon though. Will check what time. 24th no good for me, I've got a dentist appointment at midday.

This is starting to make me look like a hypochondriac grin

Crocvillagemum Fri 04-Jan-13 10:16:27

17th ok for me too.

becketts, you'll be fine. (Going to Hinch?) I had back surgery in 2011 - not at Hinch mind you - and was bricking it, but all was well. (And waking up from the general anaesthetic and shedloads of morphine was awesome... Pink fluffy clouds weren't the half of it.)

Becketts Fri 04-Jan-13 10:49:42

I'm not going to Hinchingbrooke, DH has insurance through work so I'm going to the Fitzwilliam in Peterborough. It's like a hotel there grin I like the sound of the drugs! Terrified of having general though, I've never done it before.

Crocvillagemum Fri 04-Jan-13 14:03:40

Don't freak the GA. It's not like in the films (mask descending etc)! You get the cannula put in your hand/wrist/arm, they administer the anaesthetic, ask you about your holidays (or they did me, anyway) and the lights went out after about 4 seconds.

Becketts Fri 04-Jan-13 14:56:14

I know a lot of people freak out about waking up in the middle of the op but I'm panicking more about not waking up at all! So glad it's just day surgery so I'll be home the same day if all goes to plan.

Crocvillagemum Fri 04-Jan-13 20:15:06

becketts, it's understandable to be apprehensive but really, don't be. Modern anaesthetics are v reliable. I had two GAs in 2011 (back surgery and then ERPC) and felt fine each time. So will you be!

So, are we on for Thurs 17th?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now