Local Talk

Anyone in March or thereabouts?

(11 Posts)
NewgirlMarch Sun 02-Dec-12 10:58:15

Is there anyone out there? I've just moved to March with my 3dc and don't know a soul. We've moved back here from Devon to be closer to my family after my xp left and am missing having some friends for dc to play with and just having someone to bring back for coffee and a chat. Dc are 8, 4 and 8mo. Is there anything going on in town? I'm going to try the baby group at the library but apart from that I don't really know where I can meet people.

Becketts Sun 02-Dec-12 11:56:06

Hello! I'm in Sawtry so not really that close. I'm sure there are a couple of MNers in Chatteris which isn't far from you. I don't know what's local to March but I'm happy to meet up halfway if you get really bored smile There was talk of a meet-up at Johnson's of Old Hurst before local changed. Do you have transport?

NewgirlMarch Sun 02-Dec-12 12:28:50

Hi Becketts smile I don't drive but have family I can cadge lifts from wink I met my best best friend off the back of a MN meet up many years ago now , but noone here gives me the MNer vibe at all, back home I can spot one at 20 paces grin. I spent the day in Cambridge last week which I absolutely loved, I could spend many a happy day wandering around there, but I failed to realise when we were planning the move just how rural it is here. I hasve relocated from Exeter which isn't massive by any means, but certainly had a lot to do with the dc that was within walking distance.

Becketts Sun 02-Dec-12 16:49:07

Yes, I'm not surprised to hear about the lack of MN scarves in March grin

Have you been to Ely yet?

I love Cambridge too, shame my shopping budget isn't quite up to scratch. There are some great charity shops near the Grafton centre though.

NewgirlMarch Sun 02-Dec-12 18:18:19

Funnily enough Beckets, charity shopping is my favourite thing and I spent several happy hours doing all the charity shops on that road! My absolute favourite is the Sally Ann on Mill Road, I deliberately walk the back way from the train station so I can pop into that one. Maybe we are kindred spirits wink
I love Ely. The last time I went there was last year wiht my now xp so the next time I go there is going to be a bit stupidly emotional. It's just everything seems a bit of a trek since I don't drive I suppose. And the weather just adds to the 'everything's bleak' feeling. I left this town 10 years ago, have been to university, spread my wings, and now I've plonked back down here and it's all a bit odd.

Becketts Sun 02-Dec-12 18:48:11

Ah well, if you need a charity shopping buddy then you know who to call grin What are the buses like in March?

NewgirlMarch Sun 02-Dec-12 18:56:37

I think they're pretty frequent, I just need to make an effort to familiarise myself with them. Cambridge is only 30 minutes on the train, much much longer on the bus as it does rather take the scenic route...From the buses I've seen whizzing past my house I know I can get to Wisbech (or not...) and Kings Lynn fairly easily. For Ely or Cambridge I prefer the train though. I'm definately heading back to Cambridge before Christmas as I spent most of my time just pottering rather than making a dent in my rather too large Christmas shopping list. I had thought I was pretty much sorted for Christmas. For the dc I am. It's everyone else that's the problem.

Becketts Sun 02-Dec-12 19:22:23

Oh, I forgot March was on the train line. At least you can get away for the day easily if you need some retail therapy. Have you taken the DCs to any of the museums yet? My DD1 (4yo) is dinosaur crazy and loves going to the Sedgwick.

NewgirlMarch Sun 02-Dec-12 19:39:07

Where is the Sedgwick? I remember going to the Fitzwilliam when I was at school and I think the dc would enjoy that but I can't remember how to get there. I assume it can't be that far from the centre/ They loved going to the museum back home so it'd be nice to take them somewhere similar, I have a 4 yo ds and he'd love to see dinosaurs. We were very impressed by the switching on of the Christmas lights on Friday, they shut off the whole town centre and had a funfair, there was nothing like that when I was little! We are used to getting out and about every single day, but I think a lot of that was because we were living in such a tiny flat we almost had to. Here we have so much more space and a garden at last, that we've been spending more time indoors, which has been nice actually, but I don't want them to miss out so I think I want to plan one or two trips somewhere interesting every month so we have something to look forward to. It's a very different pace of life.

Becketts Mon 03-Dec-12 11:56:39

The Sedgwick is right opposite the entrance to the grand arcade multi-storey. It's quite small, but that just means you've seen almost everything by the time a 4 yo gets bored.

Crocvillagemum Tue 18-Dec-12 09:58:13

Hi newgirlmarch. I'm about 30 mins drive away (just down the A141 past Chatteris, before you get to Huntingdon). Happy to come to you if you like (as I see you don't drive)! I could probably just about fit you all in my car too, depending on how old your DC are.

No, don't get the bus to Wisbech. Dump. DH was born there and he always says the best thing he did was escape! (Apologies to any Wisbech fans, but it really is moribund.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now