Local Talk

Llantrisant/Pontyclun - nice areas to live? Advice needed.

(5 Posts)
MamaHyfryd Sun 17-Jun-12 22:24:00

Live in Cardiff but we are looking to move in the next couple of years or so due to issues with space. It seems so blinking expensive living in Cardiff; it almost feels we would have to compromise on moving to a not-so-nice area of the city just so we can afford it. We currently live in a very small 2-bed house, but we were looking at areas on the outskirts of the county of Cardiff, particularly Llantrisant. Would like 15-month ds to attend a Welsh-medium school but haven't an idea what the schools are like in this area of RCT.

Any advice from mums who know more about this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SaggyTitsAndHairyToes Sun 24-Jun-12 15:42:56

llantristant/pontyclun/miskin have lots of local shops and a nice little community, also brilliant schools close by and train st in pontyclun. im not sure of primary schools but i know ysgol llanharry and y pant are very good secondary. sorry i cant help you more.

NicKnight80 Tue 31-Jul-12 15:20:05

I live in Llantwit Fardre and it's 20 minutes from the City, from the beach, from the mountains, and a lovely community. There is the nearly new school here too Garth Olwg. You do need to live in Church Village to get your child in there though but they have a Creche, Meithrin, Primary, Secondary and Adult Learning all on one campus and so modern and clean, with good results also. The other primary Welsh-Medium also a great school is Castellau in Beddau. I have my dd registered at both. I'd like Garth Olwg but currently 1 mile outside of catchment area.

House prices are very reasonable compared to Cardiff, road links are great, and shops nearby, with lovely walks locally for children too.

marclou Thu 30-Aug-12 22:31:26

I live in Llantrisant, Im from Cardiff. my kids have been to Castellau ( lovely school they enjoyed it) however they are now in Garth Olwg and whilst I fought their placement there ( I wanted them to stay at the other one, and I am OUT of the the catchment area) they absolutely love it and have come on like I would never have thought possible ( my daughter didn't say a word for 6 months at Castellau, now sings solo in GO!!!!...trust me she can talk a glass eye to sleep outside of school.
lovely area, friendly and close to everything, Cardiff etc.

Brevitybabe Tue 02-Apr-13 11:29:47

I live in Talygarn, lovely place just outside Pontyclun. Old llantrisant is lovely.
Have heard nothing but good reports about the welsh schools. Walks in this area are lovely, shops are good and good road and rail links.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now