Local Talk

Looking for style advice? Speak to Alex Moore, personal stylist, on Tues 24th June

(45 Posts)
LocalEditorChelmsford Thu 29-May-14 14:46:27

On Tuesday 24th June, 8 - 9pm, we have personal stylist Alex Moore coming on for a web chat to answer all your style questions!

Alex says 'From online styling advice to a full on wardrobe overhaul, I can help women find their way with fashion, give them the confidence to wear things they didn't think they could, suggest outfits for special occasions and now to add to my list, help mummys to be rock that bump and not hide behind maternity wear that hides their figure! I will work to any budget and all I ask is that my clients come to me with an open mind and be prepared to have some fun!'

Alex has also recently added maternity styling to her list of services. So if you are pregnant she has lots of advice to take you through your pregnancy in style.

The more information you can give in your questions, the better … i.e. what size you are, where you like to shop, an idea of your budget, etc.

So whether you have a special occasion coming up, need advice on what to wear in the office, want to jazz up your current wardrobe or have a specific question about maternity clothiers and what to wear in pregnancy post your question in this thread and Alex will be along to answer them.

For more information about the services Alex provides see her listing here.

bouncychair Sun 22-Jun-14 13:22:42

I am three months pregnant and need some advice about maternity jeans!! I hate shopping for jeans at the best of times but now need some ideas of the best jeans for lasting me through until January (and quite probably beyond!).

There seem to be so many different styles - do I want under bump or over bump?

lifewithtwo Sun 22-Jun-14 13:45:45

I am due at the end of next month and am planning to breastfeed. Any suggestions on where I can get some some stylish breastfeeding tops?

warmwoodburner Mon 23-Jun-14 19:02:30

Any tips for holiday packing? I'm useless at packing and always end up with a case that is borderline for the paying of excess baggage!

It's 2 week beach holiday with husband and two school age children.

thekitchensink Mon 23-Jun-14 19:13:09

I am going back to work soon after 3 year of being a stay at home mum. Depressingly most of my work clothes no longer fit and those that do fit I don't like anymore!

I haven't really got a lot of time to go shopping so could you suggest some online shops for me or stores where I can get everything in one go?

I'm a size 12/14, 5ft7 with a budget of about £250-£300. It's an office environment and I work 3/4 days a week so will need a bit of variety!

OnTheHuh Mon 23-Jun-14 19:21:08

I'm past having more myself as such but wondered what you thought of the state of nightwear for pregnant and newly delivered women? I recently bought a friend something to wear and had such a nightmare trying to find adult looking nightwear for PG women- not emblazoned with stupid teddies and other childish images, not in sickly pink and otherwise infantilising. The manufacturers seem to think we give birth to our brains and maturity alongside the baby.

Are there any good nightwear ranges or styles that you can recommend?

Willemdefoeismine Mon 23-Jun-14 19:23:46

My vital statistics seem fairly similar to thekitchensink. I am always mindful of Trinny and Susannah's advice about wearing 'deep necklines' to accentuate the positives of large boobs BUT it's never easy to find fashionable, affordable and flattering tops in this style (with some arm coverage too!). Where do you recommend I look for for these elusive essentials? I wouldn't really want to be spending more than £40 per top.

And is there any dress style that is becoming to the curvier shape other than the 'wrap dress'??

Thanks!

Whoatethelasttwirl Mon 23-Jun-14 20:07:16

I have changed job roles and this one involves sitting at a desk, all my spare fat seems to have congregated on my thighs any clues on how to disguise them until I can work it off?

LocalEditorSheffield Mon 23-Jun-14 20:07:53

What is the best style for someone with wavy, ridiculously thick hair?

AnnTeek Mon 23-Jun-14 20:18:08

I'd like some inspiration on summery work tops that won't make my arms look massive but will also keep me cool. I can't wear black long sleeves in this weather!
I'm a 16-18 with IBS so also needs to hide bloating. Oh and I'm skint so £20ish maximum.
Can you tell why I'm struggling!

Tobydogrocks Tue 24-Jun-14 15:08:17

I'm 5'1 and a size 14/16. I've always wanted to wear a maxi dress but I only ever see tall ladies wearing them and feel I maybe too short to be able to pull the look off. What style/colour would you recommend to take into consideration my height and fat curves?

DyeInTheEar Tue 24-Jun-14 15:15:45

After not going out anywhere which didn't have a kids' menu in about 9 years - I have got a 40th dinner in a Michelin restaurant coming up. I'm naturally more of a dress down person so would like trousers or trouser suit. If I could dress like anyone it would be Emmanuelle Alt - editor of French Vogue. Obviously though I'm on a different budget to her - more like £200 absolute max. I'm a size 10 & prefer to cover up arms

Can you help / recommend somewhere to look. I usually have about 7 minutes to shop as mum to 3 - and no time to browse. Thank you so much!!

Any tips on school run outfits & flat shoes gratefully received to!

flowers

TudorMaryRose Tue 24-Jun-14 15:37:19

Hi Alex,

I'm after some clothing style tips for my new body shape. I was a classic hour glass with a flat stomach but two children later and I seem to have gained some lumps and bumps and my boobs are beginning to sag a little. I want to wear lovely spaghetti strap tops but the bras I have to wear at a 34 FF have really thick ugly straps and it ruins the look.

Plus, now my waist has expanded, I really look more of an apple shape now as you can't really see my waist unless I put on a huge belt to cinch in which makes me look like a sack of potatoes. What would be the most flattering shape for a summer dress? Thanks

SirWhingeAlot Tue 24-Jun-14 16:14:14

Hi Alex

I am size 16 and always struggle with jeans - the waist is always massive or too low. Could you please recommend few brands? I like normal straight cut.

Thank you!

Notagymbunny Tue 24-Jun-14 18:29:09

Hi Alex,

Even though I had my baby well over a year ago I still have a tummy that needs to be disguised. Any hints on places to go for summer tops would be much appreciated

BerkshireLocalEditor Tue 24-Jun-14 19:40:00

ohhh glad I heard about this.

I am quite fat and short. So finding shorts that fit nicely is a nightmare. Classic hourglass figure so shorts gap at the back a lot. Also, I can't wear the short shorts they sell but knee length make me look stumpy. Help!

BerkshireLocalEditor Tue 24-Jun-14 19:41:44

I live in trainers & and want to smarten my look up so I am more yummy mummy than vommy mummy. What can I do that is both affordable and practical so I look nice but is good for running around after a toddler and baby?

BerkshireLocalEditor Tue 24-Jun-14 19:43:09

swimwear. I can never find anything. I like a good cossie but they are either too high leg to massive chub on or I get side boob. any recommends?

LocalEditorChelmsford Tue 24-Jun-14 19:50:46

Good evening everyone!

Thank you all so much for your questions. There's a lot to get through and Alex is almost ready to start...

AlexMooreIAmMe Tue 24-Jun-14 20:02:53

Notagymbunny
Hi Alex,

Even though I had my baby well over a year ago I still have a tummy that needs to be disguised. Any hints on places to go for summer tops would be much appreciated

Hi Notagymbunny

I think camisoles are great for the summer - they're floaty and hide a multitude of sins and go with pretty much everything - just type camisole or floaty top into the search bar of your favourite websites and pick your favourite style / colour.

www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?langId=-1&storeId=12556&catalogId=33057&beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=false&pageSize=20&sort_field=Relevance&searchTerm=camisoles&x=-1165&y=-132

If you want something with a sleeve - try Oasis or Warehouse.

fashion.oasis-stores.com/search#w=floaty%20tops&asug=&view=medium&country=GB

Alex
x

alexandramoore.co.uk
https://twitter.com/AlexMooreIAmMe

AlexMooreIAmMe Tue 24-Jun-14 20:07:58

Hi All
Thanks so much for your questions - I'm really keen to answer all of them for you, but to make sure I give you the best advice I may hop on the net to get you some links, so bear with me.
Looking forward to speaking to you
x

Notagymbunny Tue 24-Jun-14 20:08:42

Hi

Notagymbunny Tue 24-Jun-14 20:09:29

thank you - I'm off to look at your links now...

AlexMooreIAmMe Tue 24-Jun-14 20:14:01

bouncychair

I am three months pregnant and need some advice about maternity jeans!! I hate shopping for jeans at the best of times but now need some ideas of the best jeans for lasting me through until January (and quite probably beyond!).

There seem to be so many different styles - do I want under bump or over bump?

Hi bouncychair
I think ASOS are amazing for maternity jeans, plus you get to sit on your sofa and shop rather than wading through the piles of jeans they stack up in the shops!
They have so many different styles and colours to choose from and are reasonably priced, so you won't feel guilty for purchasing a couple of pairs.
I have an over and under bump - I definitely feel more secure in my over bump jeans, but I do find that by the end of the day my tummy is a bit hot and so if i'm at home just roll the material down.

Alex
x

alexandramoore.co.uk

AlexMooreIAmMe Tue 24-Jun-14 20:18:52

Lifewithtwo
I am due at the end of next month and am planning to breastfeed. Any suggestions on where I can get some some stylish breastfeeding tops?

Hi Lifewithtwo
Try this website www.fromheretomaternity.co.uk/section/110/1/all-maternity-bras for your nursing bras
They have a range of styles and colours for you to choose from and have been recommended by mumsnet in the past

I really like the Butterscotch Bravado original - it's just a little different

Hope that helps
Alex
x

alexandramoore.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now