Local Talk

Possibly Relocating To Cheltenham or Surrounding Area...HELP!!!!

(23 Posts)
Major1978 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:30:22

Hello!!

We are a family of four with two school age children. We are hoping to relocate to the Cheltenham area in a few months time, all going well!! I am trying to investigate which schools are good and where would be nice to live. We are not bothered about being in a large city, but would like the children to have a safe town to play in with a good primary school. I would like to be able to access some shops easily, supermarket, chemist, etc. The kids enjoy going to clubs like swimming and brownies too. Ideally we are happy to be 20 miles from Cheltenham and don't have to be on a train line. Can anyone recommend nices areas to look at please? We will have to rent at first as we are living abroad at the moment, and will have to sell our house in the Uk to buy in this area. We would like to try and rent in the area where we want to buy, so the children can get settled in school and start making some friends. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanx!!

HeatherSmall Tue 26-Jul-11 23:14:12

I am relocating to Cheltenham myself in the next few weeks.
So far I've discovered schools seem to be a bit of nightmare, not many have two places available.
If I can help i'd be delighted to do so, I'll keep you posted as I find my feet !

Major1978 Wed 27-Jul-11 19:13:23

Hello!!

Oh no don't tell me that!! Where abouts are you moving too? We are thinking on areas outside the city, like Stroud. Our kids are 5 and 8 so ideally I want them both in the same school, and a good one at that!! We will hopefully be moving late October early November. We live abroad at the moment, so I will have to start calling the education dept. and find out where has spaces. Then we can start rental hunting. When are you moving?

HeatherSmall Wed 27-Jul-11 19:53:51

I've really really struggled, we started out wanting Leckhampton but that wasn't a starter, none of the Outstanding schools had two places and the alternatives were satisfactory, not that I'd have been happy with a good tbh. We've ended up going for Cheltenham College and buying a cheaper house.

Major1978 Wed 27-Jul-11 20:57:25

I thought this may well be a problem. My Hubby has been over today and taken some pics of other areas to look into. Cheltenham College looks fantastic and would be an option if all else fails. Leckhampton was on our list too. We are now also looking slightly further out as an option. Its so hard deciding on schools, we have had a stressful time out here with that side of things and just want this move to go a bit smoother!! Hope all goes well with your move and I will keep you informed of ours too.

Pm me if you want and I will happily give you some info smile

HeatherSmall Wed 27-Jul-11 21:24:54

At least you've plenty of time to sort out secondary schools that too is a minefield.
I think i've found a house on Gloucester Road, I'll be working up the M6 so that's handy I hope, just need to find an aupair and I'm all set.

Major1978 Wed 27-Jul-11 22:46:17

Glad that you have found a house. Hope that you get an au pair soon too!! Feel like this is all I am doing at the moment, searching and filling out my little info book on the area. Life can be too stressful!! Have a good move and hope all goes well. Will keep you posted.

Greenshadow Wed 27-Jul-11 22:51:49

Hi Major.

If you are looking for good schools, then I can certainly recommend the Stroud area. The schools are often quite small and most have a good reputation. Also get lovely countryside and a friendly town into the bargain. Secondary schools are also pretty good on the whole.

Major1978 Thu 28-Jul-11 09:11:09

Morning Greenshadow,

Thank you for you info! We are looking into Stroud as our first option. My hubby drove through there yesterday and took some pics, lovely area indeed. I am going to email the education dept. and find out which schools can take our children. As I think this is the first step then we will have to locate a rental property!! Looking forward to moving over soon.

Greenshadow Thu 28-Jul-11 16:50:40

Major - Do feel free to ask if you have any questions about the area or specific schools

Major1978 Thu 28-Jul-11 18:38:51

Hello,

What is Cirencester like? Are the schools hard to get into? You have all been really helpful, thank you!!

Vickles Sat 30-Jul-11 20:06:39

We recently moved our daughter to a different school... warden hill school to naunton park school in leckhampton.
We rang up the school and spoke to the headteacher - to express an interest and to find out if there was a place.... (and there was!).
We then went online - see this link.....

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=98711

this is specifically for changing school during the academic year, September to August....

you do it online - and it gives you the choice of 4 schools...

this will give you the answer to all your questions about applying...
hope that helps..
xx

PhylisStein Mon 01-Aug-11 22:08:47

Move to Bisley - if you can afford it - thriving large village 10 miles from Cheltenham (and 3m from Stroud) but on a direct route to it! The school is good, social life good with two busy pubs in the village and a very active community all round.

Major1978 Mon 15-Aug-11 09:29:45

Thanx Vickles and PhylisStein, have been on hols for the last 2 weeks, so now its time to start planning the move and get stressed out!! Can't wait to move back to the UK though. Will add Bisley to my Rightmove alert now. Sound like a good place to live.

C x

Major1978 Mon 29-Aug-11 20:17:42

What is Broadway like?

Major1978 Thu 15-Sep-11 13:25:02

Anybody know what St. Marks COE Junior school is like? And also Benhall Infant school too, please!!

Major1978 Sun 25-Sep-11 16:20:55

Hello!!

Well thats us been over to Cheltenham and we have got the house we wanted, in Broadway. Now we are in the process of applying to the school we want the children to attend.....fingers crossed!!

Furball Sun 25-Sep-11 20:33:48

Broadway is lovely (don't know about schools though) and has fabby dabby play park!

it's on the main road through Broadway - there's a little alley way just opposite the Horse and Hound pub. Tis well hidden but easy if you know what you are looking for. Great for all ages smile

peggyblackett Sun 25-Sep-11 20:43:36

Cirencester is great. Good schools, new leisure centre, fab shops, stunning countryside.
Take a look at Farmors in Fairford for a secondary.

Major1978 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:34:26

Hi Furball!!

Found the playpark when we were over last week and its amazing!! The kids and us had lots of fun. Thank you though!

...Peggyblackett we went into Cirencester and really like it but we could not find a house we liked!! Will pop in there though as the shops were great.

Thanx for all your help!!

wigwaminamustardmill Mon 26-Sep-11 20:39:18

I don't know too much about the Broadway First Schools but the Middle (BHMS) and High (PHHS) Schools are fab!

Major1978 Tue 27-Sep-11 21:09:10

Thank you wigwaminmustardmill!!

We have applied to St. Mary's Primary, so fingers crossed please!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now