Local Talk

Shopping in Chester - where do you park?

(11 Posts)

Evening all Recently moved a bit further west so Chester is now my closest shopping centre/town. I've only braved it once and parked in the Grosvenor car park as I knew where it was, but knowing that shopping for more than an hour was going to cost me a fiver was hardly conducive to leisurely browsing (though neither, to be fair, was nap refusenik DD hmm).

Is there a better central car park or do I have to keep driving back to Warrington, where I can park easily for hours for a quid? grin

RoseMortmain Wed 29-Dec-10 21:57:31

Park and Ride is easiest and cheapest, tbh. Most of the city centre carparks are £££££.

Tesco has a carpark which is okay, price wise. You can either pay £1.50 an hour or spend £5/10/25 in the store and get 1/2/3 hours free parking.

It's worth bearing in mind that all the carparks are free after 3pm and if you get there at 2pm you'll only pay the hour from 2-3pm so you'll get 2.5hrs shopping for about £3.

That's really helpful, thanks grin

dearprudenceandtheivy Wed 29-Dec-10 22:40:49

Almost everyone I know parks in Tesco. Even if you have to pay, it's only £1.50 per hour which is way cheaper than anywhere else. Queues can be bad at busy times.

If you're just nipping in for an hour you can park in Iceland (opposite Tesco). You have to spend £5 in the store to get an hour's free parking, but you only get an hour max. You can always get straight into Iceland car park, no matter how busy Chester is.

wingandprayer Wed 29-Dec-10 22:41:55

Yep park and rides at Boughton op Sainsburys and by the zoo so one of those should be ideal depending on which route you take. Not sure where cheapest parking is as such other than after 3?! I am very lazy and use Grosvenor, can't be bothered with faff of Tesco, loads of people do that and queues huge as result.

RoseMortmain Wed 29-Dec-10 22:44:33

During the week my friend always parks in the rowing club carpark. It says it's for members only but apparently there's never anyone patrolling it and it's never locked. I've been too chicken to try it but if you have more guts than me it might be worth a try grin.

To get to it you have to go down past the amphitheatre and turn left down to the river.

RoseMortmain Wed 29-Dec-10 22:48:52

If you get into Tesco before 10am it's not too bad during the week. I avoid it at the weekends and in the run-up to Christmas.

If you park in Tesco there's a shortcut through a tiny alleyway next to the sports shop just opposite Tesco and then in the back door of BHS that brings you out by Boots. Much quicker and easier than walking all the way up Frodsham St.

This is fabulous stuff grin

I won't have the balls to park in the rowing club. We live a couple of miles from Frodsham and I never shop there either as I can never find anywhere to park except car parks with strict signs about customer use only and I get The Fear blush

Might try p+r though sounds a bit fiddly with (massive blush) buggy ... Weekdays after 3 is perfect as it will be post-nap and I avoid weekend shopping anyway.

Thanks

dearprudence Thu 30-Dec-10 16:27:54

You can park in Morrison's in Frodsham, no problem. There are no tickets or anything. Also can often find somewhere to park on the main street, especially during the week. Or there's Eddisbury square, which is free but gets busy.

Earwigging Thu 30-Dec-10 21:50:24

Northwich is also quite easy to park, not as big as Chester but more buggy friendly and has Marks, ELC, Boots etc

I am scared of Morrison's and ES because they both have signs saying customer use only and men in high vis jackets blush I should be braver.

Should also check out Northwich, thanks - I went to school nearbyish though so has for some reason put me off a bit!

Went shopping today, drove back to Warrington blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now