Local Talk

Hi. Bangor Mums helloooo Sorry have missed mnet for a while

(7 Posts)
pandi52 Sun 04-May-08 14:34:46

I am sahm with 2 boys aged 2 and 4 weeks. I havn't been here for a while. I have just started the ball rolling to get registered as a childminder, they cannot start the process until August. The system is badly letting down mums and prospective chilminders alike. From my own experience trying to get a chilminder in the Bangor area, there is a real shortage!!! enough ranting, could anyone provide a list of parent and toddler groups in the Bangor area. The one I usually go to on a Monday is over subscribed and too busy. Thanks!!!

OonaghBhuna Fri 06-Jun-08 08:47:04

hi there, the hamilton road has plenty of groups. The baptist church has one on a wed, and the big church has one on a thurs morning.Also the church opposite asda has one in a tues morn. Most will be finishing in a few weeks but its good to check them out. I go to the one on a mon morning in the methodist church on the hamilton road but its too busy now.

twinmomma Sun 16-Nov-08 21:47:18

Hi Bangor Mums,

Do all of you know that the play cafe on High Street doesn't police check it's staff? We could be putting our kids in real danger!!! Please warn all other mums out there.

OonaghBhuna Wed 19-Nov-08 18:15:38

Thanks for this. I thought anyone working with children had to be checked for legal reasons, they could be breaking the law. Luckily I dont really go to the soft play centres much and I am always with my DDs.
I will let friends know about this as I know loads of people that go here.

Avenged Fri 25-Nov-11 19:35:49

Depends on the nature of the business. If it was a soft play centre requiring supervision from the staff, then yes, the staff would need to be CRB checked as the staff are required to help look after and supervise kids.

If the nature of the business is a cafe with a play area requiring parental supervision, then I'm not sure the staff have to be CRB'd as the staff duties may just be to serve customers and clear up the play area at the end of the working day when everyone has left (as with any other cafe without a play area).

HappyMummyGirl Wed 22-Feb-12 21:18:35

I took my daughter to the Play-Centre in Bangor, Gwynedd. I got there at 11.00am and had to stand outside for close to 10 minutes before anyone came to open the door, having ringed the bell several times. It was clear that I had been heard, as the bell was audible even from the outside.

As I was about to leave, a grumpy woman with a mouth full of food let me in. She made no apology for not staffing the entrance or for my prolonged wait in the cold with my daughter. I may have understood a delay if the Play-Centre was busy, however I was the only customer, even though they opened at 10am. Furthermore, I would have felt somewhat compensated if an apology had been given.

As I sat watching my daughter, the staff had disappeared out of sight. Soon another woman arrived and she too was kept waiting at the door for quite some time.

I am sad to state that the place has become a disgrace. The staff are never available and are found chatting in kitchen area. There is zero customer service. You literally have to call for attention from the kitchen, to be served. Moreover, when they do attend the desk, the attitude by staff is of contempt and seem to be continually eating. I actually witnessed a customer becoming irate and bellowing for attention, having being made to wait for several minutes to be served.

This also brings up the question of safety. If a problem were to appear, such as an injury, I would doubt the staff at hand would be able or willing to offer medical assistance, if in fact they were trained at all. To which I would hope it to be a pre-requisite for employment.

To add insult to injury, I discovered that the toilets were also blocked and filthy. This place is designed for children but the toilets resembled that found at an outdoor festival. I have always maintained that where there is poor toilet hygiene, then there is no doubt poor kitchen hygiene too. It should be noted that the Play-Centre also serves food.

This is the last time I will ever set foot in the place. I have asked all my family and friends to do the same, and to pass this message on.

Luckily, there are alternatives found in Caernarfon, Llanberis and Llandudno, to name a few. If you value your children’s health and safety, and appreciate good service then my advice is to avoid this place like the plague. sad

BettySwallocks2012 Fri 30-Mar-12 15:47:24

You do know you are slagging off a company in a completely different country HMG hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now