Local Talk

Hypnobirthing

(5 Posts)
islandbaby Wed 29-Sep-10 05:10:44

Hey

there seem to be quite a few hypnobirthing practitioners in the area (including over ipswich way), but I just wondered if anyone has had any experiences with any and could recommend anyone?

Thanks

Mung Wed 29-Sep-10 15:13:06

I think Pooter did, she'll be along soon, I'm sure. I have 2 friends that used CDs and book, but I can't remember it's name.
I can really recommend Shiatsu during pregnancy with a lady called Helen at Shiatsu4life. She lives in West Bergholt.

lucyfer2000 Sun 03-Oct-10 08:22:01

I used a lady called Alison Bird in Colchester for my third pregnancy. She was really good and I really wished that I had done something similar the first time around. It makes you understand the birth more and not be scared of it.

Unfortunately I can't comment on whether or not i would have had the 'pain free' birth as my circumstances meant that a normal birth was not possible for me in the end. It certainly helped me relax during my pregnancy though. I bumbed into another mum who was in my hypnobirthing class about 6 months after we had given birth and she said that whilst her birth was not pain free, she had no drugs and it was a really positive experience.

I do think it is worth it if you can afford it - it was quite expensive. I used my 'health in pregnancy' grant, but I don't think the government are giving that out anymore!!

Hope this helps!

pooter Tue 05-Oct-10 13:29:33

hahahahahahaha sorry - hollow laughter there. I went with Alison Bird too, and did all my homework, listened to the cd every day and had another hideous birth. It did help in that i wasnt scared and was quite positive and optimistic about having a different experience this time round - but it wasnt to be.

I have a friend who did it and had a very positive birth though, so maybe im just not cut out for having babies. Alison was fine though, and i had a few nice relaxing hours under hypnosis during the course.

Good luck xx

HypnobirthLady Tue 22-Jan-13 11:00:23

I've just seen this old thread and am grateful for the positive feedback about my classes. It's unfortunate that of the over 200 ladies who've attended, only two who had less straightforward births were available to comment but I'm glad they found the techniques still helped.

I think this is the point that a lot of people miss about HypnoBirthing and is extremely important to point out - it doesn't "guarantee" a pain-free experience or that everything will go magically well, just that you - and your partner - will have the tools to cope better with whatever "turn" the birth takes. Here is a quote from my response to an enquiry from a lady who had had a C-Section for her previous birth and wanted to try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after C-Section):

".....many women have experienced successful "VBAC"s using the HypnoBirthing techniques. No-one can guarantee the "perfect" birth but we can confidently say that the majority of women who have learned HypnoBirthing have reported feeling calmer, more in control, and in less discomfort, which is a success in itself."

Any misleading information and hype is (as is often the case) provided by the press. HypnoBirthing practitioners promote "more comfortable" birth, as opposed to "pain free, or painless" - although some women do have virtually pain-free experiences using these techniques - they often report feelings of "discomfort" or say "it hurt a bit at the end", but some of them don't even use gas and air!

I have lots of genuine testimonials from ladies who have had wonderful birth experiences using HypnoBirthing techniques, including one lady who had a water birth and was toasting her baby's arrival with champagne minutes after his arrival!, along with those who have had difficult births but found they coped so much better and felt more in control, despite the difficulties - THAT is the aim of HypnoBirthing, a better birth experience whatever the circumstances, and I'm so glad that both the ladies who have commented on the classes were able to take positives from them.

With kind regards to all, Alison Bird.
www.alisonbird.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now