Local Talk

NEW TOWN AREA pls help

(8 Posts)
angiek Sat 25-Jun-11 21:17:53

Hi mums, i have seen a property i like in NEW TOWN, and we are considering putting in an offer. I am relocating to colchester because of work purposes.
Please can anyone leaving in this area kindly let me know if it is a good area or bad area and the good schools too.
Thank you

SGJ Tue 28-Jun-11 22:47:55

It's a pretty reasonable part of town, walking distance to town centre but not too much noise etc, not too sure about primary schools nearby - if that's one of your main concerns then you should look for somewhere nearer to the Prettygate area, for example, I think the best (reputation-wise) is Hamilton Primary, but Newtown is close to nice grassy areas. Hope that helps!

TsarinaTheirEyes Thu 30-Jun-11 19:21:03

Hi angiek.

In my opinion, Newtown is a good part of town, and the local schools are pretty good St George's Newtown Junior School OFSTED Report

SGJ is right that Hamilton Road is generally considered to be the school in Colchester. But I like St Georges and the class sizes are smaller than average.

Newtown has some nice pubs (as well as some which are less desirable), is close to town and has a good local park/recreation ground.

Parking can be a tight.

Good luck with it all. Please post back if you would like more info/advice.

CHERISHEDMUM Thu 30-Jun-11 22:47:27

Thank you ladies for the information. I guess i will put in an offer for the property since i prefer areas closer to town. I might be commuting to london attimes. I have also noted the schools mentioned. I am serously considering st georges infant and primary but not really impressed with its ofsted ratings. More suggestions about schools will be appreciated.

angiek Thu 30-Jun-11 22:53:12

Thank you ladies for the information. I guess i will put in an offer for the property since i prefer areas closer to town. I might be commuting to london attimes. I have also noted the schools mentioned. I am serously considering st georges infant and primary but not really impressed with its ofsted ratings. More suggestions about schools will be appreciated.

Henwelly Wed 27-Jul-11 18:20:34

I genuinely dont think you can go by Ofsted - I would go and visit the schools.

My friend lives in Scarletts Road and that is very nice - her little girl is about to go to Kendall School it hasnt got a particularly good Ofsted but my friends a teacher and has been quite pleased with it so far.

Hamilton Road is a very popular school but be warned its a bit snooty!!

smile789 Tue 13-Dec-11 10:11:43

I've lived in new town for 2 years, and LOVE IT!!! It has a great feel, the people are friendly. It's quiet, there are friendly PCSO's who will always stop for a chat. there are lovely areas, the rec is huge with a wonderful park. there are things going on there all the time. I honestly feel a sense of community here. I have made some great friends since moving up here. St Georges is a wonderful school. there is an ecletic feel to this area, there are families, students, commuters, pensioners, people from all walks of life. I would highly reccomend this area. It is the best move I've ever made.

KatieRose2012 Mon 02-Jan-12 18:05:19

We have recently moved to Winchester Road and the area is lovely. Our 3 1/2 year old son goes to St Georges Nursery (part of the infant school). My husband went to the school and loved it. Yes Hamilton School has a great reputation but I have heard it can be a bit snobby. The head teacher at St Georges knows every childs name and my son loves being there. Its a quick walk to town and the town railway station. We have chosen to raise our family here as its a friendly place. The local midwives are lovely too. Good luck with your move!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now