Local Talk

Good baby or toddler groups in Colchester

(58 Posts)

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Colchester soon (hopefully soon, anyway, rather depends on solicitors now!) and I'm going to be on the hunt for groups to keep my littl'uns entertained...

I've got a 6 month old girl and a 2 year old girl (yep, mad, I know!).

Would be really interested in music groups (wary of jo jingles tho' majorly bad experience with one here...) or crafty groups.

North Colchester would be ideal, I'm moving to the Myland end of town, but don't mind travelling a little way.

Also, is there a 'buggyfit' type class - exercise with babies in the buggy? Castle park would be perfect for that? If not, would anyone be interested as I may be able to persuade a trainer to start one up...

Enough questions do you think?? smile

pooter Wed 03-Oct-07 00:20:18

Hi SP, Im going to a 'sing and sign' class in Highwoods (not too far from Myland)for the first time tommorrow with my 8mo old - i will tell you what its like. The woman from jo jingles did a taster session at our baby clinic and REALLY put me off. Bossy woman who had a painful voice! Theres a kindermusic thingy some friends are going to soon, so i'll let you know about that too, and there is something called 'mini mozarts' in N.colchester, but ive never been.

The central library has a singing nursery rhyme session on alternate mondays and wednesdays that ive heard positive things about.

I could post you the local kidaround magazine if you wanted - i dont know if they are universal, but it has info on absolutely everything on offer for children in this area.

hope the move goes smoothly - cant imagine moving location with a 6mo and a 2yr old - it was bad enough being very pregnant!

pooter Wed 03-Oct-07 15:14:00

back again - just been to sing and sign - it was really good, and there was one mum with a baby and a toddler. Its only for 3/4 an hour, so the babies dont get bored and the signing is great.

Thanks pooter,

I did Tinytalk with my older daughter and really enjoyed it. She did use the signs for milk, food and drink quite a lot. Still does the sign for pig (along with saying it!) whenever she sees one - very cute. Don't think there's a tinytalk so i'll get in touch with the sing and sign people, seems to be very similar.

Will also check out the library - I'm off to Colchester in a bit to visit solicitors and other dull things like that...

Have just had a look on the kidaround website - got a few ideas from there.

It's difficult finding groups. I'm in Billericay at the moment and I've found that the best groups are often locally run ones ... but the ones that do all the advertising are the national ones, which can be a bit soulless...

I'm hoping the move goes smoothly too! Hopefully, grandma will be taking charge of the littl'uns on moving day.

Thanks again, SP

sophierosie Mon 08-Oct-07 22:07:42

Hi there

I'm just near North Station and used to take my toddler to a really nice toddler group in West Bergholt - its on a monday morning I think between 9.30 - 11.00am. They normally have general play and a craft table and then singing at the end - although there was talk of having some more structured 'play' music etc.

I found all the mums really friendly and generally the toddlers were really well behaved - any hitting/biting etc dealt with appropriately etc.

My 2.6 dd also goes to 'wednesday wrigglers' which is based on heuristic play and lots of singing and dancing and loves it - its at the church hall going up north hill so on the right side of town for you!

I know that the nct used to do a montly buggy stroll in the park but not sure if that still goes on now...

The local gym club also does toddler gym on most mornings if your lo's ever need to burn off some energy! Thats on the way to highwoods so on the right side of town too...

Mung Sat 03-Nov-07 10:24:33

Have you moved yet SP? Hope its all going to plan.

You may have found a good group by now, but I go to the Copford one (a little drive for you from Myland) and its quite good. I like it because I can walk there, but its in quite a big hall so there is space for Toddlers to charge about, but also a 'safer' area for babies.

I have been looking into the gym club sophierosie, but I have a 6 month old and a 2.2 year old. That means I'd need to go to 2 different classes. Have you been? How do you find it?

sophierosie Mon 05-Nov-07 17:05:56

You could probably just go to the older session - all the toddlers have to be supervised by parents/carers anyway so I'm sure you could keep an eye on your 6mth old.

I've only been a few times but my dd loves it - there's loads of room for them to run as its in the main gym hall.

HTH's

Hi, sorry haven't checked this for a while - can you get an alert when you get a reply?

Haven't moved yet - Thursday next week is the big day so I'm surrounded by boxes and a growing sense of panic!

Am definitely going to try the gym group so I may see you there Mung and sophierose ... maybe we'll have to agree to wear a particular flower or something!

Sophierose, have you got any contact info about the wednesday wrigglers?

Wish me luck!

ca7439 Sat 05-Jan-08 10:37:24

Hi everyone
Really pleased to have found this thread.
I have just moved to Myland/Turner Road area.
sophierose, sorry to sound dumb, but could you tell me bit more about gym club, sounds perfect for my 2. Where is it? How much etc....
Actually think I might have found it, is it at colchester gym club on brinkley grove?

sophierosie Mon 07-Jan-08 19:44:04

Contact details for wrigglers are here but am not sure if times are correct. The woman who runs the class is call Lisa and really friendly and welcoming.

Yes, the gym club is here on Brinkley Grove!

Good luck with the move!

Mung Wed 09-Jan-08 20:28:03

I have been to the gym club now a few times and I love DS loves it. It is well equiped, friendly, safe and great fun. I would recommend it to anyone.

There is talk of a www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1368/394141?stamp=080109165021meet-up with Colchester girls if any of you fancy joining in. If not, we'll probably pass each other at the gym club smile.

Hi guys, am now officially a Colcestrian again so hopefully will see you on the toddlers circuit!

Thanks for the details of groups. Am going to try the church toddler groups on Mile End Road as well.

Dynamicnanny Fri 18-Jan-08 15:25:34

Hi all of you on the Colchester toddler circuit grin

I am starting a temp mothers help role next week so might see you at some of the activities/clubs so if you see a woman in her early 20's looking totally out of her depth - that's me grin

About the gym club - is it suitable to bring a toddler and a baby? Don't want to look like a complete muppet!

Went to the Friday version of Wednesday Wrigglers last week - kids really enjoyed so that's one activity per week sorted!

sophierosie Mon 21-Jan-08 17:34:12

I haven't taken DD to the friday one yet. What time is it on?

The Friday club is at 11 on Fridays. Hope to see you there?

sophierosie Mon 21-Jan-08 22:16:49

Yes, will probably start coming along as am normally pop into town on Fridays so will give DD something to do before I bore her with shopping!

Are you coming along on friday to Twinkies?

See this thread

Nursejo Sun 16-Mar-08 20:40:48

Hi SP I live in Myland too,and I have DD1 who is 3.5yrs and DD2 who is 17 mths.We go to a Mother and Toddler group in St Michaels Church Hall on Thursday Mornings at 10am, and a Church Mice Group on a Monday at 1.30pm in the Church,which is a bible story,craft,singing,tea and a prayer at the end(light-hearted,not heavily religious)I have only lived in Colchester a year,don't know anyone so this thread is great.smile

Mung Tue 18-Mar-08 21:45:30

Hi Nursejo, just hijacking a bit, but I just wanted to say that you should keep an eye out, as we meet up now and again, so it would be lovely to meet you.

Hi Nursejo, have been to the group at St Michael's but DD1 didn't really seem to enjoy it. Maybe I'll have to try again.

SP

lucyfer2000 Sun 06-Apr-08 21:44:43

Hi SparklyPrincess etc..

I am thinking of going to the toddler gym thing on Thursday morning after the easter hols - if it runs that morning... as i mentioned in a different message somewhere on this site - I have lived around here for a while now but yet to meet anyone as i work four days a week. I had been going to Jo Jingles in West Bergholt on a Thursday but my two (girl and boy 3 and 2 years old)just won't sit still for long enough and i found there was no chance to chat anyone as it is so structured. So if you see two loopy blonde kids with a harrassed looking mother at the gym, i'd love to chat!

Would also be really up for going for walks with the kids now that the weather is getting better!

Mung Tue 08-Apr-08 14:57:24

Hi Lucyfer2000. My DS goes to pre-school on a Thursday, so I dont go to the gym that day. It is open though. My DD is too young for the class that your 2 DCs will go to. I'd be up for a walk too one day...perhaps in HIghwoods country park.

lucyfer2000 Tue 08-Apr-08 21:22:09

Hi Mung,

A walk in Highwoods sounds great - the bluebells should be out soon shouldn't soon they. Lets keep an eye on the weather and if we are both free would be great to have a meander through the woods!

Mung Mon 14-Apr-08 20:24:29

Look here for a walk in HIghwoods.

Nursejo Sat 19-Apr-08 17:45:03

Hello me again,Thanks for replies.Have been busy lately with Easter Holidays and Chicken Pox!! Would love to meet up sometime,and meet you all.Have left another thread on your ones about meeting up at Highwoods. I will watch closely,and hope to meet you soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now