Local Talk

Can anyone recommend a hairdresser in colchester?

(42 Posts)
MissisBoot Mon 03-Nov-08 17:21:38

My current hairdresser doesn't do mine quite right despite me asking her so can anyone recommend a hairdresser who listens to what you ask them and is preferably v good at cutting bobs

JentlyDoesIt Mon 03-Nov-08 17:59:21

I go to Fubar (Funked Up Beyond All Recognition) which is opposite Igigi (near where Co-op travel used to be). The 3 girls who run it worked in Hype (top of North Hill) for years before leaving to start up Fubar. I have had Gemma cut my hair for about 10 years now and Tina and Lou have also cut it. I really like it in there, they really listen to you and are really helpful about helping you choose what you want. Gemma refused to cut all my hair off for ages because she knew I wouldn't like it - guess what - I made her do it in the end and I don't like it!!!

blush can you tell I like them, have harped on for ages! Tel no is 01206 710610

Oh, they are about £35 for a cut and blow dry

lucyfer2000 Mon 03-Nov-08 20:58:36

I have had a complete nightmare with hairdressers after one in JAVA on north hill fried it and cut strange ultra short layers through the top leaving me with two bleached out barnets!

A friend recommended anoushka in Caramel brown(stanway)to me. She does really seem to know her stuff and did a great job on mine - however - it is apparently a work in progress untill all the bleach and mental layers have grown out. She listened very well to what i wanted, but to be honest i just needed some sensible advice because i didn't know what i wanted - i just wanted it fixed!! Have my fingers crossed that she will remain very good and that i now have a regular hairdresser!

MissisBoot Mon 03-Nov-08 21:12:33

Thank you!

Yes I have also experienced ultra short layers that made my hair look like a helmet before (DH mistook me for a lego model!)

I'll second fubar ...

Can't remember the name of the hairdresser though, Jasmine maybe.

Dior Mon 03-Nov-08 22:00:32

Message withdrawn

Sawyer64 Tue 04-Nov-08 14:14:05

Or alternatively, I go to the Hairdressing Colleges.

I trained as a Hairdresser a few years ago(hmm didn't give up the Day Job though!!That speaks volumes eh?) and find colleges are reasonable(very cheap actually) and you get a Full Consultation prior to any procedure with a person who really cares about doing a good job.

All of this is taught to all Hairdressers but unfortunately most lose the skills,and become arrogant and pushy IMO.

As has been said,there are some very good hairdressers about but very few are willing to listen to what you want,and not overide you with what they think you want.

rrrayray Sat 08-Nov-08 20:56:36

Since i moved to the area, i've been using Cinamon Brown, the Aveda Salon in Town. Cannot Fault it... Absolutely amazing Cuts & Colours.

The girl i use is called Fran.

Good luck! xx

sherby Sat 08-Nov-08 21:06:22

Sam at PeeWees, new salon, hand massage thrown in, lovely

MissisBoot Sun 09-Nov-08 14:11:54

ooh yes - hairdressing colleges are a good idea!

Where is PeeWees?

Sawyer64 Sun 09-Nov-08 18:01:03

PeeWees is in that little area off of Eld lane,think its opposite "Michael John" Hairdressers,and theres a Tearooms,and it has tables out at the back.Probably better if someone else describes it better as I'm still relatively new to Colchestergrin

The head Massage "thrown in" cost me £13! on top of my hair.Just a word of warning though,thats where I had my skinhead very short bob done,not a bad cut,but I did ask for the sides to be left shoulder length,and just gently graduated at the back!!

Not really practical style for a busy mum of 3 IMO,needs lots of maintenance.

Another example of a hairdresser knowing whats best for youhmm even if its not what you asked for or wanted!

JentlyDoesIt Sun 09-Nov-08 20:45:29

I had mine done again at Fubar yesterday, lovely lovely lovely

mirandab Sun 16-Nov-08 09:35:35

I went to the training college a couple of weeks ago and was really pleased with the result (had a sweeping fringe and layers cut it) only cost me £10 so a complete bargain. (Its at the end of Magdalen Street at the crossroads).

Alternatively I also use a mobile hairdresser who comes to my house and only charges £10 for a trim and £6.50 for my daughter.

If you need any numbers let me know and I shall dig them out

MissisBoot Mon 17-Nov-08 21:16:50

Hmm - not too sure they listened to me completely - I went in asking for a chin length graduated bob (basically a trim) and came out with a posh bob so trimmed it myself when I got home.

I think I'll try the training college next although a bob may take them hours as it took my old hairdresser about an hour and a half to do it!

What's a 'posh bob'?! smile

MissisBoot Thu 08-Jan-09 16:38:29

Hey Jently - I went to Fubar this afternoon and had my cut with Gemma and it is fab fab fab! Hurray They're lovely in there too!

Had mine done a while ago by Fran's brother Dean who also works at Cinnamon Bronw 0 sad but it is nice to have a young attractive man caressing you in any which way you can get at my age!

Was good - did what I wanted although I wish he had forced to to have more cut off - but now I want to grow it so pretty good job he didn;t!

JentlyDoesIt Thu 08-Jan-09 18:01:29

Missis boot - glad you liked it - it's a fab place isn't it? Did you tell Gem I had been singing her praises?

MC - Cinnamon Brown looks lovely and glad you had a good cut too. mmmmm, nice young man <goes off to dream in corner>

mirandab Thu 08-Jan-09 20:52:52

I have a friend who is a mobile hairdresser her charges are very reasonable ie £6.50 for a child's wet cut and £10 for adult's, restyles are slightly more. If interested let me know and I can forward you her details.

Miranda

Vixhair1 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:31:27

Hi all, my name is Vicky and I'm a mobile Hairdresser and a working mum!!

by the sounds of things your all very happy with your hairdressers.

Ive just gone self employed after 10years of working at feathers in town. I have nvq 1,2 and 3 in hairdressing, experienced in teaching new hair stylists, i do all aspects of hairdressing and can work day or eve mon-sat

If your interested then email vix1102@msn.com and i will get back to you.

Thanks xx

MissisBoot Thu 04-Jun-09 17:18:31

hey vix - welcome to mumsnet!

I may well call on you at some point to give dd's hair a trim - she's not overly keen on hairdriers so that makes going to the hairdressers rather traumatic!

Hi On the strength of these recommendations I went to Fubar and a lovely girl called Sadie gave me a lovely cut.(November)
Thank you

Alouiseg Thu 18-Nov-10 16:12:50

Dean - last seen at Cinnamon Brown is now at Brown &White, the tanning place in Stanway.

Cinnamon Brown is always freezing!!! Which is why I stopped going in there. One of the managers was always opening the doors and letting the heat out, not good with a head full of freezing dye.

tabbycat76 Thu 18-Nov-10 19:29:52

Exactly what I've been meaning to know, some recommended hair dressers in Colchester!! Keep going back to Ipswich for my cuts but may well try Fubar, sounds fab! Thanks guys!

FellatioNelson Tue 30-Nov-10 07:59:17

Alouiseg I agree with you!!!! I go there (love it) but did complain about the cold draught with the door always open in winter. Also said to my stylist (who agreed with me) that as the Aveda brand prides itself on being all holistic and green and caring for the environment by shunning chemicals it wasn't really in keeping with the ethos - wasting electricity like that. She said she was going to tell the owner I said that.

I have now been having my hair done at Georgian House at the bottom of east hill - lovely girl called Holly does it - she is fab, is reasonably priced and clean and you are the only client there at any one time so can indulge in lots of gossip and be pampered - her sister is the beautician and will do your nails whilst you have your hair done!

XxkatxX Wed 09-Feb-11 11:28:44

Cinnamon brown is great. All stylists I have had are lovely and know their stuff. Don't have a problem with the heat issue myself, it's great to have some chill time with head and hand massages! You won't be disappointed!

Vixhair1 Tue 07-Jun-11 18:33:21

Hi all,

I previously wrote a comment about mobile hairdressing in colchester, I'm still mobile and can get around to any chosen venue in colchester and surrounding areas.

I have a new direct email... vicky@vickyshairdeisgn.co.uk

For more information or price list email me and I will reply to all emails or calls.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Vicky

hollingshead Thu 16-Feb-12 22:23:54

Hi JentlyDoesIt

Thanks for your recommendation. I had at look at their website (fubarhair.co.uk) to see if they looked any good, and to my surprise they had a 25% off voucher smile

I've booked in for this week, looking forward to a nice change.
Can't wait smile

DavinaG1978 Thu 01-Mar-12 11:41:27

Ive started using HairForce One on peartree business park off Dugard Ave, Stanway. Lovely big place, ask for Vikki. Best thing is all the parking, I can't stand having to walk far like in town from the shops to the car in my condition.

Site is www.hairforceone.co.uk

They do a bit of beauty there too.

DinahMoHum Sat 31-Mar-12 10:42:24

i always go to Lydia at John Michaels on eld lane/sir issacs walk (i never know which end is which)
Been going to her for years and she always listens and does exactly what ive asked for

Newimagehairbeautysalon Mon 23-Apr-12 09:49:46

Hi ladies. My name is Charlotte, I have a salon in Colchester town centre and we have now introduced the amazing 50% discounts on selected hair and beauty every Monday. Highlights, cuts, colours all half price answer as waxing, massaging and much more. Fantastic for a total relaxation day. Only located down st botolphs street, corner of priory street, above Hilary b wedding shop. New image hair and beauty salon. Has now opened up a brand new second floor for beauty. Worth a try ladies xxxxxxxx

Newimagehairbeautysalon Mon 23-Apr-12 09:55:05

New image hair and beauty salon down st botolphs street, 50% off selected hair and beauty every Monday. Fantastic deAls and bubbly out going girls xxx 01206 577114 x

K155E Tue 29-May-12 10:29:40

Cinnamon Brown is terrible! I would never ever recommend this salon to anyone! I booked an appointment at 4 o'clock and wasn't seen until 4.25. In the mean time I was given a 'complimentary' deep conditioning treatment as my stylist was going to be 'another 10 minutes' which they insisted that I pay for at the end although I didn't ask for it. When the stylist finally got round to me she started cutting my hair and then at around 10 to 5, she told me that I had headlice eggs in my hair and she couldn't continue (nothing to do with them closing soon I suspect). They refused to blow dry my hair saying it was their policy.. although I had just had a full fringe cut in. I was still asked to pay £45 and even after asking if that was even without the blow dry, they only reduced the price by £5 (after making me stand at the counter for 10 minutes). In my haste to leave I left my shopping bags there and went to the chemist to get a head lice treatment (looking absolutely terrible). The chemist asked if I had been near children and I explained that I hadn't. The chemist looked at my hair for me (I think she could sense my distress) and told me that they didnt look anything like head lice eggs and that it was clearly dry scalp (as I wear clip in hair extensions). I bought a treatment anyway as I was petrified of having them although the chemist said it was unnecessary. I went home and explained to my mum what had happened and she too looked through my hair and agreed that it in no way resembled head lice eggs. (The hairdresser even confirmed there was nothing living in my hair so what would have laid them anyway I'm not sure). My mum then went into the shop the next working day to pick up my shopping and asked to speak the manager who proceeded to shout at my mum and got very aggressive. My mum left the shop after telling them that she would take this higher and the manager then proceeded to follow my mum and nan out of the shop and was shouting at them down the street. I would not go back in a million years... by far the worst hairdressing experience I could ever hope to have!!

tracie13 Mon 18-Jun-12 20:33:59

fatal attraction hair design 37 head street colchester 01206547333 visit www.fatalattractionhairdesign.co.uk

LadyHM Sat 21-Jul-12 14:14:10

Hi everyone, Cinnamon Brown is closing down, think its turning into a coffee shop or something... I go to Benjamin Charles down North Hill opposite Strada. Benjamin is an experienced hair dresser and he listens to what I want, even though Im rubbish at explaining it. They have lovely massage chairs, if you want a quick lift away from the kiddies too. Give them a ring 577764. Good luck.. Oh yeah, if you go to their website you can print a £10 voucher for first visit.

SunshineLou76 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:18:18

Hi, I highly recommend Hair & Beauty Connection its a lovely friendly salon, the stylist liston to what you actually want, I've been going to this salon now for the past 6 months as it was recommened to me as my last salon mucked up my colour, plus they give you a FREE Lunch! when you have a colour done,
they are opposite Smiths Bar in church Street they have been there 30 years which says it all! give them a go you wont be sorry, check their web site www.hairandbeautyconnection.co.uk

MylandMa Tue 08-Jan-13 11:15:15

Thanks for the Benjamin Charles recommendation. I have an appointment for Saturday to try and fix the damage a junior in Toni & Guy did just before Xmas. Horrible. Girl herself was lovely but clearly not the level of stylist I booked and I was too polite to insist on someone else once I realised. Big mistake, huge ... Now have a very strange short mullet going on. Don't think I have much choice but to go for a pixie style cut, am hoping for Anne Hathaway style (though obviously I'm nothing like her in looks or weight, sigh) ...

MylandMa Sun 13-Jan-13 21:42:49

Thank you SO much for the BenjaminCharles recommendation .. He was brilliant, was so patient with me, asked me to try something, we both decided it didn't work, calmed me down while I cried (believe me, old style was that bad !!! grin) and then gave me a fab new hair do. Now have Anbe Hathaway style pixie cut, so pleased. Will def be going back !!! smile

shazz34 Mon 14-Jan-13 10:28:02

I use a hairdressers on North Station Road in Colchester Called Loui Hair Studio, and my husband gets his hair cut by Kelly in its sister male grooming salon Studio 33 ( both which have recently been revamped). Its so handy to be able to both go in together and leave together feeling and looking a million dollars... all the girls are friendly and fab hairdressers, doing what YOU want rather than what they think is best ( dont get me wrong they will push you in the right direction but you dont feel pressured into anything). we both love our hair when we leave and its the most relaxing salon iv been into to date... with reasonable prices too i would highly recommend smile

HypnobirthLady Tue 22-Jan-13 11:55:12

I've been going to Ellis at LEJ's for years, he's wonderful!

pittcity Sat 15-Jun-13 15:37:12

I would recommend SHIMA, a new salon recently opened on Church Walk, off Head Street, between Vinnys Cafe and Hughes Fishmongers.
Shane has been doing my hair for years in different salons. He always listens to what you want and tells you the truth if it is not achievable.
They have loads of opening offers ATM.smile 01206 761333

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now