Local Talk

New mum

(22 Posts)
katy01 Thu 13-May-10 20:16:48

Hi,
I have recently given birth to my beautiful daughter who is now 6 weeks old. Now I am on my feet I am really wanting to meet mums as I have not lived in Colchester long and none of my friends have children. I really want to get involved in baby groups etc and wanting to make friends along the way! Please let me know of any friendly groups that we could start attending!

Mung Mon 17-May-10 21:03:43

Hi. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I also gave birth at the end of April to my 3rd child. I hope you are getting on well and enjoying motherhood.

Do you live in the town centre? Do you drive? I ask that, as there are things going on at different places and it depends on whether you can get there.

Have you managed to get hold of Kiddaround magazine? It has all the local events and groups in there. La Leche and NCT meet at the Quaker meeting house on Friday mornings, I think La Leche do 2 mornings and the NCT group does one morning a month and they both start at 10ish.

We meet up sometimes, but it has been really quiet on here recently, so the last few arranged meet ups have fallen through, but perhaps you could come along next time someone suggests something.

If you can give me a bit more information, I may be able to help you find a good group near to you.

katy01 Wed 19-May-10 16:38:03

HI Mung,

I live in Stanway, and yes I drive. Congratulations to you too.Did you have a girl or boy??

I am loving being a mum and would just like to start getting out and about and meeting other mums.

Thanks for the reply as you must have your hands full with 3!!

Mung Sun 23-May-10 21:05:37

Katy01 have you seen the thread about Cudmore Grove? Why don't you pop along and you can meet a few more of us? Its a good chance for some of the new people to get to know the others.

Mung Sun 23-May-10 21:07:11

BTW the Friday toddler group in Copford is very friendly and I would recommend it. It starts at 10 and costs £1.50 (I think...been ages since I have been).
I know a few other people who have had babies in the last few weeks, so if I can get them on here then you may meet them too grin

ClareV Sun 23-May-10 22:01:26

Hi Katy01
I'm new on here and have 3 kids (youngest 7 months) and live not far from you - near the new Aldi.
We go to a baby/toddler group that is in the church above Aldi on a Monday - it is mostly toddlers, but there are always some babies too and it is friendly. I only started going when I started mat leave this time round.
There is another one in the church opposite prettygate library on a wednesday morning too that is nice too.
Maybe we'll see you there sometime!!
Clare

katy01 Tue 01-Jun-10 15:03:54

Thanks Ladies,

Think I will pop along to the next meet and get to put faces to everyones names! Clare, think I will try the group above Aldi as it would be a nice walk for us from mine. What time is it on?
Katy

ClareV Tue 01-Jun-10 18:17:34

mondays 9.30 to 11.30 ish (usually a bit later).
there is a tuesday one too that i havent been to which is 10-12.
maybe see you there soon!

melwynter Wed 02-Jun-10 13:01:55

Hi there
I'm also new to this area (or will be moving to Wivenhoe soon).
I have a 2 year old and another due in November and would like to know if anyone knows of birthing centres in this area? Or how easy it is to get approved for a home birth?
I'd rather not drive everywhere, but would love to meet in Wivenhoe or near a train station if anyone knows of any groups etc that may be useful for me.
Thanks a lot!

Mung Thu 03-Jun-10 08:41:11

The midwives are all pretty good when it comes to home births and you have a right to birth your baby as you want, so there shouldn't be a problem. There is a birthing centre at the hospital now and I think it is open, otherwise the closest one is in Harwich.

I hope you enjoy living in Wivenhoe...its so beautiful there.

BigMamaB Fri 02-Jul-10 10:29:08

Hi Katy,
Congratulations! How are you getting on? How is your DD coping with the heat?
I had a daughter, Gabriella, in March and I'm trying to find some nice groups as well. To be honest I'm a bit shy about going to them which is very unlike me!
Have you found any good ones you could recommend? I'm down near North STation and dont drive, but I'm not afraid of a bus so open to options!

BigMamaB - there are really good sessions for babies and toddlers called Eureka (contact info here) at St Peter's Church Hall on North Hill (entrance next to the Noodle Bar). It does get booked up but definitely worth giving Lisa a call.

abi2889 Tue 06-Jul-10 18:57:45

Hi Melwynter
I live in Wivenhoe!! when do you move here? There are some baby groups here, I think there is one on a monday and a NCT one on Thursdays 1:30 til 2:30 for under 5s at the Scout hut and a wriggle and giggle group at the football club on a Friday I think. There is also open clinic where there are various Health Visitors who might be able to help on the birthing centre bit for you, that's on a Tuesday 2pm-4pm at William Loveless Hall.
I don't really know many people in Wivenhoe and only have 1 or 2 friends with kids so if you ever fancy a meet up let me know!

I would also recommend Eureka, I went to that regularly and both my daughter and I really enjoyed it, everyone is really friendly. I might start going again actually, can't remember why I stopped?!!

katy01 Wed 14-Jul-10 13:12:30

Hi BigMamaB,

Congratulations to you too!! Poppy is getting on fine and now getting used to the hot weather, she's a bit off her milk but not surprising! We are going to messy play on Friday morning at Kingsland Church, Stanway- next to Aldi. It's the first time we are going, if you can get down there come along. Have you started any gropus yet? I drive so Me and Poppy could always come to a group near you, it would be lovely to get the girls together!

Katy

littlestig Wed 11-Aug-10 11:19:20

Hi,
I to have a DD who is now 4 months. If you want to get out and about in the fresh air and do some mild exercise with other new mums and their babies the NHS run a free buggy walk. It meets outside leisure world every thursday at 1pm, we have a good walk around the castle park and then head back to leisure world for a free tea or coffee and a good old chin wag winkYou can park there and get your ticket stamped at reception so it's free!!

Mung Wed 11-Aug-10 21:36:03

That sounds great Littlestig...I didn't know about that.

Mung Wed 11-Aug-10 21:37:09

Can other children come or is it only for Mums with only a buggy?

littlestig Thu 12-Aug-10 11:45:07

Hi Mung,
No other children can come as well, one of the girl's brought her 3yr old last week. It's very relaxed and friendly so the more the merrier!

Julie37 Fri 01-Oct-10 16:06:57

Hello.

My daughter in law, Miya who is 23, has just arrived in the uk from Japan and is expecting her first baby in December. She would love to meet some new friends in the Colchester area as hasn't got to know anyone locally yet. Miya speaks excellent english but finds writing it more difficult which is where I come in!

Also does anyone know if there are any clubs in Colchester for pregnant mums?
Thanks so much

lucyfer2000 Sun 03-Oct-10 08:38:31

Hi Julie37, looks like the other newbie thread on Local (regarding the meetup without the kids) would be a good place for Miya to look too.

Littlestig - are the leisure centre still doing the walk on a thursday afternoon? or was it just in the summer? I rather like the sound of that and I don't work on thurdays and fridays. I have two children in school, but also a baby who is just about to turn one. A sociable walk with him in the buggy sounds lovely - he loves being outside.

JoJolicious Sat 11-Jun-11 11:37:01

Hi,
I am from witham essex
due 18th July 2011

congratulations smile

MovetotheMusic Fri 20-Jan-12 13:29:32

There is a new Pre-School Dance Classes starting in February 2012. A parent & Toddler Class and a Baby Ballet Class.

Page on facebook has more details facebook.com/​MoveToTheMusicDanceCl​asses email is movetothemusic@live.co.uk

Great fun, good for development and fantastic way to meet other mums!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now