Local Talk

Moving to Cornwall after Christmas - newbie help please :-)

(10 Posts)
finleymummy Mon 17-Jun-13 19:11:25

Hi there, I'm 34 with 2 boys aged 6 and 1, and planning a move to Cornwall after Christmas. My DH and I are deciding which area we would most like to live when we visit in Summer. We love St Agnes and have a caravan at Perranporth having visited for many years. Hopefully, we can look around villages and schools (between Truro and the coast?) to get an idea where is achievable.
I'm quite nervous about leaving where I currently live and family as I know lots of friendly people through school etc and have a lot of support.
I hope you mums may give me some insight and maybe some tips for a newcomer! I'd like to know if its easy to get to know parents in the playgrounds, and through school. Have you made friends easily if you moved there from away? Id love to make good friends who i can have regular coffee and chat with. Thank you, I appreciate any help x

Bronnen Tue 18-Jun-13 16:05:23

I'm sure you'll love living here smile Personally I love living in Cornwall as you are never that far from the coast. Hopefully someone on the board can give you advice about schools - my son is only 9 months old so I don't have any experience there. Both St Agnes and Perranporth are lovely places!

mybeautifulboys Tue 18-Jun-13 16:44:32

Thank you Bronnen for your post, its great to hear how much you like living in Cornwall.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 22-Jun-13 22:46:22

Hello, I moved here (Falmouth) 3.5 years ago, everyone has been bend over backwards friendly and helpful. Aggie is lovely too.

TR4Lady Sat 29-Jun-13 16:24:36

St Agnes school can be a bugger to get children in to. Lots of local children and not so many places.

PoppettyPing Fri 12-Jul-13 15:20:46

Hiya,(bit late to this thread but heysmile

I'm afraid I don't have any tips as I've only moved here in May (Penryn/Falmouth area) but I'm sure you'll love it. I love living here already and have found people to be quite friendly and open.
My husband works for a surf company in St. Agnes and a couple of the women who work there are lovely mums who live locally. They seemed to slot into the community quite easily from what they tell me! My first is due in September so am wondering the same things as you are about my area but I'm feeling positive!

I moved back to Truro 7 years ago having been away for 20 years. My kids are now motoring through primary school, and I cannot imagine being anywhere else.

I have not had difficulty making in friends, lots of people i met had moved here also so i found people were open to new friendships. there is plenty to do for mums and children, getting around is easy and and I have made different friends in different places.

All the schools out where you are looking are pretty good so I would see where you can find somewhere to live and take it from there. Good luck!

Lottie403 Sun 08-Sep-13 23:08:42

Hi, I moved here 3 years ago from Gloucestershire, I have a 5 year old and a 14 month old. I love it here and would never move away now. Bringing up children in Cornwall is lovely. The beaches, the relaxed and friendly atmosphere. My 5 year old started school last year at Kehelland village school and loves it. Its a fab school and the mums and kids are brilliant. Its hard leaving family and friends behind but you know its right. My parents are retiring down here next year which will be nice. Its hard some days, I miss my friends but I would never look back. Good luck with your move, if you fancy meeting up when you're settled, drop me a msg smile

CrankyandKevin Sat 19-Oct-13 16:06:36

Hi we are in the process of moving down to St Dennis. Dd2 is almost 4, so I am just starting on the rounds of school visits, local one has a rubbish ofsted, but I know that isn't the only consideration.

Feel free to give me a shout when you've landed if you fancy a cuppa and a natter.

Morning!
Are any of you signed up for the local meet up?
Trying to get one off the ground and after half term is looking good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now