Local Talk

Are there any non-white-British families out there?

(12 Posts)
Saltymomma Mon 19-Aug-13 21:43:56

We are soon moving to Cornwall, and our dd is mixed race (Black African/white British). We would love to meet other families who live locally who add to the mix of this predominantly white community smile

charimito Wed 21-Aug-13 12:53:22

Hi We're m,oving to Coirnwall in the Spring. I'm Mexican and my DH is British, so our daughter is mixed race white/hispanic.

When and where are you moving?

thekitchenfairy Sun 25-Aug-13 09:10:02

Our wider community is predominantly White British but there is growing diversity, especially Truro and Penzance. My children attend a school in Truro, Bosvigo, it is an excellent school and one of the reasons we love it is that it is the most ethnically diverse in the city. Nothing like the diversity we enjoyed up country though!

Saltymomma Wed 28-Aug-13 20:38:22

Well, that's reassuring! We're moving in Oct, to the Truro area. We aren't sure of the school yet as we haven't found a house (stress!) but Bosvigo was on our list of schools to aim for!
Good luck with your move Charimito! Whereabouts will you be?

thekitchenfairy Wed 28-Aug-13 21:02:34

Hi Saltymomma, how old is your DD?

If you want Bisvigo move as close to school as you can, Redannick, lower Redannick are fab and close, the park at Redannick looks uninspiring but it really is well used super community space. If your budget can stretch to Daniell road it is fab, v community minded, loads of young families with bosvigo children of varying ages, as are Harrison terrace and Adelaide terrace.

The child living farthest from school in this years intake lives 0.5 miles away... It pays to be close!

Try Hus Estate agents, miller and son are also good in fact i see there is a house in Daniell road that came back on the market today...happy to answer any other Qs you may have. I moved 7 yrs ago and can still remember the tress of buying in Truro!

Saltymomma Mon 02-Sep-13 21:37:59

Thanks to thekitchenfairy for the tips! We're looking more out of town in the surrounding areas, but did have a look at the Daniell Rd property, thanks! We'll be better able to househunt properly once we're down there. We're planning to rent a friend's place in Redruth initially.
DD is 7? She's adopted, and we have 2year old DS too (white). Who do you have?
We're planning to homeschool her for a few months, rather than put her in school for a few months and then have to move her!
Haha, yes, stress is the word at the moment, but we're getting there!

cornishtsar Tue 03-Sep-13 23:05:11

Look up Cornwall Home educators on facebook for more contacts. A friendly bunch :-)

Saltymomma Wed 04-Sep-13 21:50:23

Thanks, will do! All tips gratefully received!

Saltymomma Sat 05-Oct-13 08:27:37

Moving this weekend!

cornishtsar Sat 12-Oct-13 00:14:43

Good luck!

thekitchenfairy Sat 12-Oct-13 08:35:20

Yay! You're moving, good luck with it all! Hang on I see you posted last weekend... Hope it all went well.

You are just in time for a .cornish meet up... In fact I will pop along and post over there now!

PM me if you like, happy to help in any way... Recommend beaches... Days out... Hairdressers, that kind of thing grin

Saltymomma Sun 13-Oct-13 22:40:47

Well, we're in and surrounded by boxes (although gradually getting less and less!). The move wasn't without its dramas, but I guess they rarely are!
Where is the post about a meet up?
First day in new job tomorrow - best get to bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now