Local Talk

Help! Family visiting for a week and they hate the beach!

(4 Posts)
Thebeachismyhappyplace Tue 17-Dec-13 13:57:54

My DS are at primary school, they love scrambling about the beach and winter pursuits tend to be long walk across the beachtype of thing or maybe Tehidy or Cardinham. The odd kite or bike ride thrown in if I'm feeling creative

So we have visiting friends for new year and their DCs are 11 and 7, we are great pals and luckily the kids get on too but they are not fond of a winter beach and eldest is quite averse to wellingtons. They love a good theme park but we do not have funds spare for Paradise Park or even soft play and frankly I am panicking more about this than Xmas itself.

Where the hell can we take 4 boys that we will consider a good day out as well that won't break the bank!

thekitchenfairy Wed 18-Dec-13 09:19:55

Where abouts are you? Can you get to the Camel Trail or Bissoe? These are cycle ways that you can hire bikes from varios places, or just scoot or walk.

I think Bissoe is more challenging to ride but great if the boys like to go a little off road, it can be a bit bleak but the pub at Devoran is a great place to finish, or if you start here you end at the beach at Portreath. The Fox and Hounds pub is a great halfway point.

Personally I love the Camel trail. Even on a damp day the views are incredible we start at wadebridge and ride to Padstow. If your guests are not all keen on the ride suggest someone drops off then takes the car to Padstow, great for a potter and the Xmas lights on the boats are a sight to behold.

Why are they coming to Cornwall if they don't like the beach?

Thebeachismyhappyplace Wed 18-Dec-13 15:44:44

Hi Kitchenfairy!

Thank you so ch for replying, I really like those ideas.
Our bikes are a bit neglected we were on the beach all summer so we didn't get them out much... but sounds like I need to get them cleaned up.

Not sure our friends are bike riders but bike hire may word, and I think Padstow is a great suggestion. If they fancy a bit of town life I am happy enough to take the kids on the trail.

Any more suggestions up your sleeve?

Thebeachismyhappyplace Wed 18-Dec-13 15:45:55

Sorry for typos, fat cold fingers here... but I'm sure you get my drift! fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now