Relocating to Cornwall bit nervous as know noone

(14 Posts)
puddleduck27 Tue 28-Jun-16 13:45:36

Hi all. We are currently looking to relocate to cornwall, eifher St Austell or Camborne. We are excited but am very nervous as we know no one and are leaving family behind. Has anyone got any tips, places to avoid etc etc. We are early 30s couple I'm a stay at home mum with our two children 3 yo girl and 10 month boy. Any tips welcome. Would be great to chat make some friends in Cornwall too

Nejifer Wed 29-Jun-16 10:39:09

I'm near St Austell and have 2 DDs, a 3 year old and a 15 month old. I'm mostly a SAHM but am currently doing some temping 1 day a week

Kernowmummy Thu 30-Jun-16 09:46:23

I grew up near Camborne and now live in Truro so know the area well. Why have you decided on these 2 towns in particular? Just interested.
There's lots going on for families locally so don't worry about marking friends. Because it's a relatively small world down here you'll often see the same people at different activities, which is nice.
How old are your kids? I might be able to recommend some things.

Kernowmummy Thu 30-Jun-16 09:47:17

Sorry, just saw kids' ages in your post - doh!

Kernowmummy Thu 30-Jun-16 09:49:47

Lots of nice toddler groups going on - some run by the local churches which are very friendly. The library in Redruth ( next town to Camborne) does good free kids' activities - story time, singing etc.
If you have transport to get into Truro you'll find loads going on there.

puddleduck27 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:35:48

We've picked those town as they are where dp could work altho we are open to up to half hour commute. Anywhere you would recommend or avoid? I'd love to be by the beach but not sure about giving up town living.

Nejifer where aboits are you? How do u find St austell?
Thanks for the replies! Our house is going on the market today!

Nejifer Thu 30-Jun-16 13:20:32

I'm in St Dennis although originally from Falmouth. Both those areas are cheap, I would move back to Falmouth in a shot but it is just too expensive.

Zipstrel Thu 30-Jun-16 14:42:15

I live just outside of Falmouth, as as Nejifer said, it's too expensive to live in Falmouth. I grew up there though and would struggle to move somewhere where Falmouth wasn't the closest town.
I'm afraid that I don't know Camborne or St Austell very well... Other than knowing that I wouldn't want to live in either of them (sorry). Neither have got a great reputation... but then again, they may have changed significantly since the jokes of my childhood!
Sorry for being so negative. Given the choice I would go for Camborne over St Austell though as I do love Heartlands (Google it... They have a big adventure park there which is free). I would probably live in Portreath or Porthtowan though rather than Camborne itself, but that's because I like the beaches!

Kernowmummy Sat 02-Jul-16 17:08:55

Yes, I would second Portreath or Porthtowan - lovely beaches and great communities. Only 15mins from Camborne for your DH's work. I'm afraid that Camborne and St Austell are considered two of the least desirable places to live in Cornwall!! If you're prepared to be within 1/2 an hour though you should be able to find something lovely.

puddleduck27 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:41:33

Oh no. I did kinda get that feel. Altho St austell did seen okay when we was there on one side the other side seemed less nice.
We also have the possibility of Penzance.
Portreath and porrhtowan look good I do love the beaches

Nejifer Sat 02-Jul-16 18:54:01

I feel happiest in a town, villages are not for me and yet I would rather stay in the village I'm in than live in St Austell. Penzance isn't great either, sorry.

puddleduck27 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:40:23

Oh no confused. I'm sure well find somewhere its hard being so far away with two kids but I wanna be closer to my mum so well have to take the leap!

Thebeachismyhappyplace Wed 03-Aug-16 10:17:07

How are your plans coming along?

I found the new MN Cornwall blog, there is a great post about a story 10 or so years on which you might find inspiring/helpful or something.

I do remember when we moved, it was a huge leap and like you I did not want to be in a village. Had to compromise on the kind of house we went for in the end but worth it to be so much closer to family.

Good luck!

puddleduck27 Wed 03-Aug-16 12:27:44

Thank you! That story has inspired me. Feeling emotional at the moment. I have bookmarked the page for more reading later

Everything is moving but slowly. We put an offer on a place in perranporth. We decided that we did really want tobe close to the beach at least for now and fell in love with a place there. We've had to compromise on space but we aren't having any more children and it's something we don't mind.
But the people buying our house have had their buyers pull out and were back to square one at the moment. It's very stressful.

Ita scary but we are determined to move for the kids and ourselves. Bit more work life balance especially for dp. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now