Penryn / Falmouth schools and locations

(14 Posts)
FleurEX1 Thu 14-Jul-16 20:35:34

We are moving to Penryn or Falmouth. Yay! My new job is in Penryn and DHs job is in Falmouth.

We have one little person aged 2.5 who'll need a lovely nursery now and a lovely school in a few years.

We can't decide where to move. We're utterly terrified of noisy students and busy roads. grin

Does anyone know of any lovely residential parts of either town? We would love a park nearby, bus route to Penryn and be able to walk to school / nursery.

Despite being local (well we live 10 miles away!) We haven't got a clue about the area! blush

We have a house to sell which may take a while so we're thinking of renting in the meantime. I'm pretty scared but it's a small, local move and shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks everyone,

hareinthemoon Thu 14-Jul-16 23:22:44

Don't be scared! It's a nice area. If you're already local you'll know about the hideous lack of buses though. You may well have more luck with the train.

I'd just get yourself over there as much as possible and go for walks. Falmouth is trendier with more to do and Penryn is quieter. I don't think less traffic though really. PM if you want smile

LocalEditorCornwall Mon 18-Jul-16 10:45:18

Good luck with your move!
I agree with hareinthemoon, there is much different between the 2 places and you will probably learn what you like much more by walking around.

There is a nursery called Jumblies in Penryn, I think it is on the pricey side but I have heard good things about it.

To be honest buses are rubbish so what about a village like Ponsanooth, which has a couple of childminders and a good preschool and school? And the odd bus to Falmouth lol...!!!

There are loads of buses going through Falmouth & Penryn, all thanks to the students. The main problem is finding a space on one, as they get really busy in term time.

Woodlane nursery in Falmouth is brilliant (it's part of the uni), but usually full up. Worth an ask though, as I managed to get my son a spot without being in the waiting list.
Have heard good things about Jumblies too.

FleurEX1 Wed 20-Jul-16 22:10:08

I've really struggled to post a reply on this thread for days! I'm now trying the desktop version. Hopefully it'll work!

Loving all the local knowledge. Thank you so so much! smile

We were hoping to use the car less than we do now but it looks like we'll still need to use it loads. The houses we like are quite far out, the nurseries with vacancies are quite central and my job is in a silly location. grin and there's a billion hills in between everything.

Thebeachismyhappyplace Wed 03-Aug-16 10:12:16

How's it going Fleur?

Can't imagine the awful weather of the last week has helped much with a house search etc... let us know if there's anything else you need!

FleurEX1 Mon 15-Aug-16 08:27:22

I decided that the Penryn job wasn't for me (it was very weird!) so we're concentrating on Falmouth. But are flexible - as long as we're down that way I guess.

We saw a house that was sold within 3 days last week...I'm worried that we aren't quick enough.

At least we don't mind renting for a year or so if we have to.

It'll be worth it in the end! Does anyone know much about Longfield? One of the estate agents said "unfortunately locals don't stand a chance in Falmouth. You're better off in Truro!" sad

Nejifer Mon 15-Aug-16 12:47:10

I'm from Falmouth and Longfield is where we lived when I was a baby. You have St Francis and St Mary's right on your doorstop there and the whole Boslowick area is my old stomping ground. I am in Mid Cornwall now because Falmouth is too expensive but would move back like a shot if I could afford it. Longfield was originally intended as starter homes but lots of people end up living there for many years now.

FleurEX1 Mon 15-Aug-16 13:00:01

Nejifer it is so expensive isn't it. The estate agent said people are putting offers on houses before they view them hmm. No idea if that's true! They are probably trying to make me panic buy.

I grew up in a little village nr Falmouth. We spend all our time on the water and DH works there so it makes sense to live there. smile must stay optimistic!

Nejifer Mon 15-Aug-16 13:21:59

When we bought our house I compared prices with Falmouth. For what we paid for our 4 bed detached house with outbuilding, double garage and lots of offroad parking including driveway where you can drive in, turn around and drive out again we could have got a 1 bed flat in Falmouth for the same money sad

FleurEX1 Mon 15-Aug-16 14:05:04

We found that too! Every single time I find a property I like - I look at what what I could buy with the same money in a 10-15 miles radius and it's shocking! And very tempting.

Kernowmummy Mon 15-Aug-16 21:04:42

What about a village just outside Falmouth? I've got two friends who live in Mylor, which is a great village with a very good pre-school and primary school. Only a few miles out of Falmouth.

My3andme Thu 18-Aug-16 21:53:14

We just moved from Falmouth. We used smiling faces nursery at St Francis School and it was brilliant. Our dd then went onto King Charles Primary which i would highly recommend. I agree tho house prices are crazy there and even renting is ridiculously priced. I like Penryn because its quieter and also there is a train/bus into falmouth regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now