Local Talk

Is there anyone from South Down, anywhere?

(12 Posts)
Sophiathesnowfairy Mon 14-Apr-14 07:05:14

I moved to The Mourne area last August and I just wonder if the area is completely bereft of MNers.

Tbh I had a really lonely phase on The run up to Chritmas. The only people I know out here are in laws, who are lovely, but I was starting to feel like I was tagging along all the time.

Things feel better know and I realise it takes a few years to establish myself but it would be great to know there is actually someone out there.

Then again maybe there is 'to and I should just embrace the quiet!

Lalaroo1 Fri 25-Apr-14 17:00:38

Hi Sofia. I live up in Bangor but I work in the downpatrick / mourne area. It is gorgeous down there but I can see how it might be hard to meet people! Have you tried any mums & tots in Newcastle or Downpatrick? Is there anything you're into like the gym or activities like that? I'm pregnant with my first so a bit clueless about toddler groups etc but most of the girls I work with have young children and I could ask around for you where everyone goes for meet ups and groups etc. xx

Lalaroo1 Wed 30-Apr-14 08:26:23

Don't know if you'll read this but incase you do, spoke to a mum of 4 I work with last night and she says a lot of people go to the Surestart groups in Newcastle and Downpatrick and those groups have lively social circles etc. Google it. Good luck. xx

Sophiathesnowfairy Sun 04-May-14 07:17:14

Thanks lalaroo , unfortunately I live out of a sure start catchment are confused so they class me as am isolated mum, which, I suppose I pretty much am. So I do get to go to one group for isolated souls like me!

I have found a lovely toddler group in Newcastle and also Newcastle Leisure Centre run a ladies morning two days a week where there is a crèche which is just £2.85 and then a great aerobics class followed but a cup of tea. They run this session at DownPatrick leisure centre as well on a Thursday. So I am getting there. I suppose it just takes time.

Thanks for responding. Xx

lyrasdaemo Mon 12-May-14 17:42:19

Hello Sofia I'm between Castlewellan and Rathfriland, I know of a few toddler groups I bring DD (20 months) to, one free and the other only £2. How are is your DC? give me a shout if you like :-)

MrsH12 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:55:53

Hi Sofia where in the Mourne area are you? I live in Dundrum, moved here from England a few years ago x

Sharonw02 Mon 28-Jul-14 00:00:13

Hi I'm moving to bangor in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone can give me any information on local parent groups I have a5yr old son and am expecting my second child mid October
Any help greatly appreciated
smile

lotsofsmiles Sat 09-Aug-14 21:23:42

Hey..where abouts in South Down are you? I'm outside Ballynahinch but I'm in Newcastle a good bit smile

weebird1 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:00:45

Hi everyone, I have recently moved back to the mourne area. I have a 7 month old and would love to have a few mum friends to meet up with. Would any of you fancy meeting up for lunch and a chat?

Sophiathesnowfairy Mon 10-Nov-14 16:54:28

I have pm'd you weebird

Jubublian Tue 02-Dec-14 22:57:49

But late to this because I'm more of a lurker but I'm a local based in Newcastle with two wee-ish ones & it would be great to meet more folk in the surrounding area

Embolio Sat 06-Dec-14 10:06:30

Hi all, well I'm late to this! I'm in Downpatrick and have a 2.5 year old and an 18 month old. Originally from England but have been here about 6 years now. Always looking to meet more mums smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now