Local Talk

Is there anyone from South Down, anywhere?

(8 Posts)
Sophiathesnowfairy Mon 14-Apr-14 07:05:14

I moved to The Mourne area last August and I just wonder if the area is completely bereft of MNers.

Tbh I had a really lonely phase on The run up to Chritmas. The only people I know out here are in laws, who are lovely, but I was starting to feel like I was tagging along all the time.

Things feel better know and I realise it takes a few years to establish myself but it would be great to know there is actually someone out there.

Then again maybe there is 'to and I should just embrace the quiet!

Lalaroo1 Fri 25-Apr-14 17:00:38

Hi Sofia. I live up in Bangor but I work in the downpatrick / mourne area. It is gorgeous down there but I can see how it might be hard to meet people! Have you tried any mums & tots in Newcastle or Downpatrick? Is there anything you're into like the gym or activities like that? I'm pregnant with my first so a bit clueless about toddler groups etc but most of the girls I work with have young children and I could ask around for you where everyone goes for meet ups and groups etc. xx

Lalaroo1 Wed 30-Apr-14 08:26:23

Don't know if you'll read this but incase you do, spoke to a mum of 4 I work with last night and she says a lot of people go to the Surestart groups in Newcastle and Downpatrick and those groups have lively social circles etc. Google it. Good luck. xx

Sophiathesnowfairy Sun 04-May-14 07:17:14

Thanks lalaroo , unfortunately I live out of a sure start catchment are confused so they class me as am isolated mum, which, I suppose I pretty much am. So I do get to go to one group for isolated souls like me!

I have found a lovely toddler group in Newcastle and also Newcastle Leisure Centre run a ladies morning two days a week where there is a crèche which is just £2.85 and then a great aerobics class followed but a cup of tea. They run this session at DownPatrick leisure centre as well on a Thursday. So I am getting there. I suppose it just takes time.

Thanks for responding. Xx

lyrasdaemo Mon 12-May-14 17:42:19

Hello Sofia I'm between Castlewellan and Rathfriland, I know of a few toddler groups I bring DD (20 months) to, one free and the other only £2. How are is your DC? give me a shout if you like :-)

MrsH12 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:55:53

Hi Sofia where in the Mourne area are you? I live in Dundrum, moved here from England a few years ago x

Sharonw02 Mon 28-Jul-14 00:00:13

Hi I'm moving to bangor in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone can give me any information on local parent groups I have a5yr old son and am expecting my second child mid October
Any help greatly appreciated
smile

lotsofsmiles Sat 09-Aug-14 21:23:42

Hey..where abouts in South Down are you? I'm outside Ballynahinch but I'm in Newcastle a good bit smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now