Local Talk

Mayday Birth Centre vs Labour Ward

(6 Posts)
Icemi123 Thu 31-May-12 13:49:42

Hi all,
I am due on 29th July and have just been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I was hoping to have a waterbirth in the birth centre mainly for pain relief, but since this diagnosis I am up against a lot of resistance from the midwives. If I can control it by diet alone I may still be allowed into the birth centre but if not I will be on the Labour Ward. Has anyone else had a similar experience or know if there are baths on the Labour Ward as an option for pain relief. Any info would be greatly appreciated. xx

JoanneDavis Mon 18-Jun-12 14:52:56

Hello

I know there were no birthing pools on labour ward when I was last there (2008!) but I seem to remember baths. You used to be able to have a look around on a kind of guided tour, they must still do that.

I know nothing about Gestational Diabetes but my experience taught me that if I really wanted something to happen in my birth then it was my body, my baby & I expected the midwives to support my decision. I was lucky enough to have a healthy pregnancy &, seemingly, healthy baby so was happy to push for what I wanted. A couple of doctors tried to change my mind on one major issue but I was lucky enough to have met some wonderful midwives who could give me clear, unbiased facts & who realised that each birth is totally different & that hospital procedures don't always fit each situation/pregnancy.

If you're labouring in the birthing centre & start to have difficulties the labour ward is right door so transfer is extremely quick.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck

smile

apple28 Fri 06-Jul-12 20:22:16

Hi I gave birth on the 22 of june everything was fine while I was pregnant I gave birth in birth centre I wanted to have water birth I wrote a birth plan but none of my midwives were interested and when I ask for water birth they told me that they dont have experince in water birth so we cant use it. That was really annoying. But dont worry m sure u will be fine!

I am 23 weeks pregnant, and want a water birth at the birthing centre, so 'apple28' I am a bit miffed to hear your story!
I also wanted a "tour" but was told they dont do this any more - am contemplating transferring to St Helliers.
Any advice on this anyone?

pinkdelight Thu 23-Aug-12 09:32:18

Am a bit late, but yes, basically - transfer if you can. I've had two in Mayday and would not recommend it!

SandersteadMum Tue 27-Aug-13 23:17:29

It would be great to hear if anyone has any more recent experiences of Mayday / Croydon University Hospital. And positive stories are welcome too!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now