Local Talk

Primary school dilemma Kenley area

(12 Posts)
DStone Fri 08-Feb-13 18:00:38

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help with this dilemma and to give me some information about the local schools? I have a daughter in yr 1 in our current area in a very good state school but we are moving to Kenley because our circumstances are changing. I am a little apprehensive about moving her anyway as she is happy and settled where she is but it seems I don't have much choice as to where I can move her to which is putting me off moving altogether. We were considering 3 schools. The Hayes which would be our local primary school, for my daughters year there are 29 children currently on the waiting list so our chances are slim. Oakhyrst Grange, there are 6 children on the waiting list and I was given the impression that there is little movement that goes on in the school as the classes are well established so movement is rare and Essendene Lodge which seems to have places. Can anyone who has experience of Essendene tell me why they chose this school over others? Is it a good school? Are your children happy what are the negatives? The fact that it is the only school that would seem to have space for us is clouding my judgement and I only want to uproot my daughter if it's going to be better for her in the long run. We are going to the open day this Thursday but any experiences other parents could share with us about these schools would be much appreciated as I am now stressing about this situation.

twofingersfinal Fri 22-Feb-13 21:35:48

Hi there my children are at OGS and it is a really good primary school. There has been one movement in Y1 this school year but I really doubt 6 would move - I have never seen more than 1 or 2 move from a year. I know amlot of people like Essendene too, it suffers in comparison inthink due to lack of space and facilities - but many seem happy with the education. What did you decide in the end?

MrsParticular Sat 02-Mar-13 15:12:52

My son goes to Essendene - we moved him there around 18months ago when we felt his state school wasn't helping him get the basics right and holding him back.

A year and a half later and I couldn't be happier with the move - my son's working hard and progressing without being pressurised [something I was wary of with a prep school], he's really happy and I've just found out everyone in Year 6 at Essendene got the places they wanted for next year and a number of scholarships, which is always good to hear.

DStone Mon 04-Mar-13 00:16:30

Hi, thanks for your responses. We went to see Essendene, and I really liked the head teacher, she seemed down to earth and honest and I think a good head can make or break a school. There were a lot of aspects I liked about the school too, small and inclusive which should allow every child to get the attention they need to progress, I think this is lacking in most state schools of 30/ class. The curriculum and extra curricular activities seemed wide and varied compared to my daughters current school and the fact that the current year 6 have achieved 100% pass rate for the 11+ exams is very positive. There were a few things I had my concerns about too though. The financial situation of the school, I had read previous threads on here. When I asked Mrs Ali though she was open and honest and said the school had been through some difficulties, I got the impression things had stabilised now though and they were weathering the storm. The fact that they mix up the classes was another concern, new concept to me the fact that they put yr 1's and 2's together then potentially chop and change that the following year. Apparently there is a parent consultation going on to decide for next year? I am just not sure how that would work, for my daughter I think it would unsettled her if she is moved to a different class without her friends. Also, the actual school premises are not that impressive, but I keep telling myself that's less important than what goes on there. All in all I think my daughter should do well there once she settles I am just not looking forward to the transition period. I have booked her in for a taster day in April so we will see how it goes! It is encouraging Mrs Particular that your son is doing well and you haven't regretted moving him, I hope we find ourselves in the same position down the line. I just wish there were more options available to consider to confirm we are making the right decision instead of these long waiting lists in other schools. There seems little point in viewing them if we don't have the choice to go there.

SandersteadMum Mon 06-May-13 17:21:41

I was talking about Essendene with another mum today. How did your daughter get on with her taster day?

DStone Mon 06-May-13 22:30:33

She loved it, she kept asking me when she could go back again. They did a really good job of looking after her for the day and she said all the children were really friendly. I got to speak to a couple of parents in the playground at the end of the day and they too said they loved the school. Are you thinking of sending your child there? Or have you heard negative things about the school?

SandersteadMum Tue 07-May-13 12:07:17

No, I don't know much about the school. We were just talking about how few co-ed schools there are in the area.

It's great that your daughter loved it and that the parents were welcoming to you.

IroningBored Fri 14-Jun-13 00:46:10

I may be a little late on this. My son is at Essendene, whilst on the waiting list for The Hayes Primary. His number came up 10 days ago and we got a place at The Hayes (two years on the waiting list, never below 5th) ....

After viewing we decided to keep him at Essendene with its nurturing ethos, friendly environment and first class education. We don't find the lack of facilities an issue. Class sizes are about 18. The Holiday club is second to none they have waiting lists for every day of the Summer one already !

DStone Sun 23-Jun-13 20:04:37

Hi IroningBored thanks for your post, that's really good to know your preference was Essendene. I really hope my Dd thrives at the school and enjoys it as much as we want her too. Inflicting all this change on her has been an agonising decision to make (even though at the moment she doesn't seem that bothered by it) and I just want it all to be worth it.

frazzledforty Tue 14-Jan-14 10:38:46

Reviving this thread as I am currently experiencing same issues with relocating and looking for a school as Dstone did - Dstone, did your DD join Essendene? If so, what are your impressions?

Anyone with any opinions on the school please?

IroningBored Thu 16-Jan-14 22:01:08

Children are joining Essendene each term. Joiners are higher than leavers. Mrs Ali has turned this school around. My child is so so happy at Essendene.

frazzledforty Fri 17-Jan-14 17:43:08

Thank you for your reply, IroningBored! That is very helpful. We shall most likely be joining in the near future once we have sorted out the house. DS is really looking forward to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now