Schools? Caterham School VS Cumnor House

(6 Posts)
mothersandsons Tue 05-Apr-16 13:46:46

Help!

My little man (aged 2) attends Cumnor House Treetops at the moment.
Hubby and I continue to wonder if there are differences between Caterham Prep and Cumnor House School and what they are confused

Does anyone have experience with either or both?

TChessmum Tue 12-Apr-16 10:41:27

We decided against Cumnor purely based on the Head master alone. He gave myself and my husband a tour, and we felt that as we were speaking about our son's interests and budding talents he was completely uninterested in our child. Cumnor is run as a business, if your son/daughter can offer them either academic, athletic or artistic success they will do fine. If they struggle to find their niche they will struggle in the school. You buy into the brand of Cumnor. A friend of ours who had a son there moved them to a co -ed smaller private school in Purley, because they felt they were being forced out after Form 2 when their sensitive, shy child wasn't fitting into the Cumnor Ethos. It depends on your child, and their personality. We decided to send our children to a school which fosters their personality and doesn't break it down and then rebuild it to fit their needs. I suggest in addition to Caterham (which I've only heard wonderful things about). You look into Oakwood, St. David's.

stressymummy1 Sat 23-Apr-16 06:35:28

Im in a similar position, I have a child which I was trying to get into Hornsby House and failed he is very sporty has been offered a place at C House.
My concern is the leavers results are mainly croydon and caterham schools, my interest is Dulwich, City of London boys and maybe whitgift it just appears to me they are not prepared at 11 for dulwich and slighlty more competitive schools in London.

stressymummy1 Sat 23-Apr-16 06:52:47

after attending the open day another thing i observed is that there didnt seem to beas much teaching staff on the acdemics ( some where very young and looked inexperienced and unpassionate about their subject) vs the excellent sports teachers ? Lovely well mannered boys.

mothersandsons Tue 03-May-16 19:01:55

Thank you to both TChessmum and stressymummy1.
The highlight of last week was the fact that the Cumnor House School head master step down!
We were thinking of Dulwich or Caterham for 11+
We are stuck with the dilemma of moving him aged 4 or leaving him until age 11

DF2002 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:21:59

We have just put our 2 boys (both nearly 3 yrs old) into cumnor house treetops, they started this week so time will tell. I will say the wife has had some very early concerns as to the attitude of the teachers. WIll share more as they progress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now