Local Talk

Moving to Cumbria...all advice welcome

(71 Posts)
Helloall1 Fri 04-Oct-13 20:38:07

Hi everyone. Currently live on fylde coast but will be relocating to Cumbria in the next couple of months. i have a little boy who is nearly three. Looking at areas at the moment but thinking around Kendal area. We are staying in Milnthorpe soon to check out local areas more closely.

What is it like to live around the kendal area?
good schools?
toddler activities?
is it easy to meet new people?

scared but excited :-)

Wetoopere Sat 05-Oct-13 18:22:33

Am not in Kendal but know the area. Couple of MNers round here now and loads in Lancaster area.
Lots of toddler groups in Kendal, 2 SS centres. Schools in general good, Stramongate & St Thomas tend towards over subscribed, secondary's have a good rep.

Helloall1 Tue 08-Oct-13 13:08:03

thank you for reply. We are really flexible on areas...i look forward to exploring when we arrive

gingerdad Wed 16-Oct-13 11:49:27

would say most the local schools seem to be good or outstanding, they are mostly smaller schools. areas to look will very much depend on your budget but look at holme, burton in kendal, kendal itself heron hill or kendal green both look okay, i'm a bit further out.

would also look round grange-over-sands - both grange and cartmel schools are great and a great little high school in cartmel.

all in all a great place to live, as one of my firends said where they used to live they'd kill or move house to have the choice of schools in the South Cumbria area.

Helloall1 Fri 18-Oct-13 21:04:39

Wetoopere Fri 18-Oct-13 21:06:37

Is this to Milnthorpe?

ElizaBennett Fri 18-Oct-13 23:07:43

Hi there,
We moved up to Kendal back in January and have loved it. Give me a shout when you're settled if you fancy a meet up. The Local board here is a little slow, but I've met two or three people through it and they've all been lovely.

LocalEditorCumbria Tue 22-Oct-13 13:45:11

It sounds as if we are nearly ready for an official meet up - I will be posting information about it on here and on the Facebook page so please follow Facebook and twitter for real time updates and the chance to suggest times and venues.

Best wishes

LEC

Helloall1 Thu 24-Oct-13 14:51:22

Hello we are currently staying in milnthorpe for a couple of nights to check area out. In kendal today and we really love it....just need tp decide if i will sell or rent my house. if we do hopefully move it won't be for a couple of months but would really like to meet new people as we won't know anyone.

thanks

Helloall1 Sat 26-Oct-13 19:43:27

Hi Eliza. Can you provide more info on how you have settled in. Did you know anyone in the area? How are you meeting new people? I have only lived in one place my whole life and know lots of local people so the thought of living in a new town, new job etc is scary.

Thanks

ElizaBennett Sat 26-Oct-13 21:44:33

I'll be honest. I don't find it easy to meet people. We didn't know anyone when we first moved here and I spent the first six months here concentrating so much on my new job that I didn't really get out trying to get involved. Since then, I've met three mumsnetters (all lovely) and started a few evening classes where I've met lots of interesting people. I've also braved up and popped round to introduce myself to the neighbours. I've been here for nine months now and am getting to the stage where I bump into friends in town. It feels good smile

DH had a totally different experience. He joined the squash club in our first week here and met loads of good friends straight away. He's ex-military though so a bit better at settling in places than I am.

I think if you're willing to put yourself out there a little and get involved then you'll quickly feel settled.

As a town, Kendal is great. It punches way above its weight in terms of events etc. just in the last few weeks we've had the comic arts festival, mintfest, torchlight, woolfest and loads of other stuff.

It's also great for kids. Nice parks, loads of fun stuff to do nearby, good schools etc.

I really can't imagine we'll ever leave.

I hope that helps. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info and definitely let me know when you move up and we can meet for coffee or I can arrange a mini mn meet up.

Helloall1 Sun 27-Oct-13 12:01:26

Thanks so much for your info it has really helped. I will be taking a big pay cut but i think the quality of life will be much better. we all loved the area and really look forward to putting wheels in motion. It would be good to inbox you but i have no idea how to do that...help haaa.

It is really good to hear you have all settled in and enjoying it

Wetoopere Sun 27-Oct-13 12:07:58

Are you in the sort of job where you'll meet people?

Helloall1 Sun 27-Oct-13 12:22:55

I will be doing something in customer service part time hopefully but can't start applying until made various decisions about houses. Will be renting to start off. I work with teenagers and the same service is not available in kendal.

Wetoopere Sun 27-Oct-13 14:14:53

There's not a lot in that area at all in Kendal , I work in an associated field if you want ideas of what's available Pm me. Think you need to go to main talk site & click the envelope on the mobile site if that's any help.

Helloall1 Sun 27-Oct-13 16:28:02

I've been checking local job market there and are a few things can do...fancy a change anyway. Ill try and figure out how to message.

Thank you so much :-)

Helloall1 Sun 27-Oct-13 16:28:31

I've been checking local job market there and are a few things can do...fancy a change anyway. Ill try and figure out how to message.

Thank you so much :-)

Wetoopere Sun 27-Oct-13 18:02:59

Replied! There will be a red dot by the envelope when you have a message.
I'm on maternity and half heartedly job hunting but its not easy at the moment with big cuts going on in the council.

mintchops Tue 29-Oct-13 21:51:02

Kendal is lovely. Lived here all my life. There isn't any 'bad' schools so where ever you settle you'll be fine. Heron Hill, Vicarage Park, Natland are all lovely areas. Maybe avoid Acre moss which is at the far side of Hallgarth if you can help it. Unemployment is low but saying that there isn't a huge choice of exciting jobs but hopefully you'll be happy and content here that you won't care too much what you do!
Brewery Arts centre is great and fab friendly leisure centre.

Helloall1 Wed 30-Oct-13 07:45:56

Thank mintchops! Have seen a few vacancies so i am looking into if can take voluntary redundancy first then will need to put my house up for rent and look for a place in kendal....we have decided definitely will be moving. We can't wait and hope it will be soon....just need to get organised. Exciting!!!

Wetoopere Wed 30-Oct-13 07:55:27

Excellent news Hello

Good advice re Acre Moss Mintchops I know it well !
( love the name btw)

Helloall1 Wed 30-Oct-13 08:36:22

What's not so good about acre moss? We don't know any specific areas and only looking at property on internet sites

Wetoopere Wed 30-Oct-13 08:39:54

It's a particular street which attracts certain undesirables. Obviously not everyone there is dodgy but it has more than its fair share!
It's in the Hallgarth estate which is council/HA & some private.

Helloall1 Wed 30-Oct-13 09:34:13

That's good to know, thank you. Are there any other estate / HA areas?

Wetoopere Wed 30-Oct-13 14:41:57

The estates in Kendal aren't that clear cut as bad/good. Lots of worse streets rather than whole areas. Though you'll probably get an idea by price.
All the 3 main estates have some community spirit too and the schools are usually covering a mix of housing types.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now