Local Talk

House move - rural towns and villages around Darlington

(6 Posts)
MrsTeabag Sun 19-Feb-12 14:59:29

Hi, I've just joined Mumsnet, this is my first post. I am 28 weeks pregnant with our first child and live with my husband in Darlington. We are looking to move house to somewhere relatively affordable and more rural (but not isolated) with good services and schools, where we can still travel back to Darlington for work. We are thinking about Richmond, Northallerton or Barnard Castle and the villages around them. Does anyone have any recommendations, areas worth considering with good schools?
Many thanks.

Sandie85 Mon 20-Feb-12 11:32:31

Hiya,
I've just moved to Barnard Castle from Glasgow and so far I am loving it. I just had a wee boy in December, my first too, and its a lovely part of the world to bring up a baby in. I can't really give to much info about here really because I'm still finding out myself but I go to a lovely mother and toddlers group in Bowes Museum and there are quite a few others on in local halls and churches etc. There are also lots of lovely areas to go a walk with the pram and a pram friendly Costa Coffee in the main steet smile We are renting at the moment but are hoping to buy soon and there are quite a lot of nice houses on the market just now and they are all reasonably priced for what you are getting and the location. We find Barny nice and central for going to Darlington (about 25mins) and Bishop Auckland (about 20mins) and locally in Barny you have a decent Morrisons and lots of independant shops too xx

MrsTeabag Wed 14-Mar-12 14:00:46

Hi Sandie,
Thanks for your message. Glad you are enjoying life in Barney, quite a move from Glasgow! Sounds like you recommend it. Are your family in Glasgow? My family are in the North West, about 3 hours drive from here, which is not ideal, but my and my husband's jobs will keep us within travelling distance of Darlo for now.
Thanks, we will start looking at house prices in the Barney area, suspect they are higher than Darlo. Good luck with your house hunting when you look to buy.
I hope your little boy is well. xx

Sandie85 Tue 20-Mar-12 08:10:05

Hiya,

Yep all family in Glasgow so not great but is only about 2 and a half hours in the car, plus means they keeps getting wee "weekends away" to visit.
Hope you find something you love and that when you do the move goes well smile xx

MrsTeabag Mon 02-Apr-12 09:06:57

That's not too bad from Glasgow, it takes my parents that long to travel up from the North West. I wish my family were nearer and my inlaws a little further away...!

Thanks, our house-hunting has gone on hold for a while, our baby is due in 6 weeks and we won't start looking again until after they are born and things have settled down a bit.

Take care xx

Sandie85 Wed 11-Apr-12 14:57:52

Haha, I know what you mean about family being nearer but inlaws being further.... Ahem....

Best of luck with your baby. Rest up and enjoy the last bit of peace while you still can! smile xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now