Local Talk

Where to live Northallerton, Darlington, Yarm or Middleton St. George

(14 Posts)
johnnycomelurky Wed 11-Jul-12 08:06:56

Hi all!
We relocating to the NE from the NW in August. I have a job in Darlington and my DH in Northallerton. Initially, we'll stay with my in-laws in M'boro but we're looking to buy when our house sells. So we're considering the places above as we want us each to be within a half hour of work and my in-laws.

I know Yarm a bit, and have heard good things about Middleton St George and both have good primary schools. My son is only 18 months do not at school yet but we'd like to stay put for a good while.

I know there's a few MNetters in those areas do just thought I'd pick your brains :-)

Thanks in advance.

Onlyaphase Wed 11-Jul-12 08:12:08

I'm a bit further west from these areas, but would say Northallerton is a lovely place - lots of lovely independent shops, fabulous pool with flume and wave machine (the reason we go over there), a Betty's teashop etc. Lots of people from around here go to Northallerton for shopping.

johnnycomelurky Wed 11-Jul-12 08:41:53

Thanks Only, I think we're going to go for a visit this weekend and have a good explore of Northallerton smile. I'm a less whiny commuter than my husband might be better for us to live where he works.

johnnycomelurky Sat 28-Jul-12 10:17:31

We're still not decided so would be grateful for any other opinions. I know West End of DArlington is lovely, anyone know about the Eastbourne area?

TIA

alphabite Mon 30-Jul-12 18:40:48

Eastbourne isn't the nicest of areas and if you are thinking of future schools I definitely wouldn't go for Eastbourne. Some parts of Darlington are great however and if you pm me I can talk to you about schools. Yarm and Middleton St George are smaller and quieter. I prefer Darlington as there is more to do. I don't know much about Northallerton.

I work in Northallerton and it's a nice place. Lots of my colleagues actually live and work there and seem to like it! I have never even been to Yarm, but have heard good things about it.

johnnycomelurky Tue 31-Jul-12 23:19:06

Thanks Alphabite and Ethelred. We move to Teesside this weekend so I think many day trips are needed! Alphabite-yes, I want somewhere not too small, so was thinking of Darlington but people keep telling me how lovely Northallerton is so will have to check it out a bit more. Will hit you up for more info about schools when I'm not swamped with moving smile

alphabite Sat 11-Aug-12 20:39:22

No problem.

wonkylegs Wed 10-Apr-13 16:52:20

Hi I know this is a bit of an old thread but I was wondering how you've got on? We are moving from Newcastle to the area due to work and need to be approx 10miles/20mins from James Cook in Middlesbrough.
I'm keen to have links back up to Newcastle so we've been looking at Middleton St George, Darlington, Yarm & Eaglescliffe so far. Finding it had as we don't really know the area at all and popping down for the day for viewings is difficult to get a good picture.
Any recommendations or warnings would be fab.
thanks

OohTrifle Sun 28-Apr-13 10:57:28

MSG - not a great deal there. Better off in Darlington as just as easy to get on the a66 to m'boro. West end (areas around and off Carmel rd north and south, Conniscliffe rd and abbey road) nice and it'll be a 10-15min walk into town.

All I know about Yarm apart from the slow crawl through the high street in the car any day of the week is that it looks lovely and is rammed on a night!

Good luck!

Deanne100 Sun 12-May-13 22:51:05

Hurworth. Its a large village. Its about a 10 min drive into Darlington centre. It has one of the best, if not the best state secondary school and various other schools. Renting or buying? Darlington has great links to the North, East, South and West by road, rail and air. There are rough areas, some lovely pockets of hidden gems amongst them and some extremely expensive areas. Bear in mind, Mr Bannatyne used to live in Darlington. Generally, the West side of the town is the nicest but again, you need to know the area. It might be an idea to rent before you buy. Good luck.

johnnycomelurky Thu 06-Jun-13 16:34:08

Hi wonkylegs, we've moved to Darlington, been renting here in the West End for a few months and are now buying a house one street over. I really like it here, there are good schools nearby and great parks. We're only 10 minutes walk into town. We wanted to be somewhere bigger so we ruled out Hurworth, but I agree that it's really nice and very close to Darlington.

wonkylegs Fri 02-Aug-13 10:17:26

We finally chose Middleton St George. The house chose it for us rather than the location alone. We liked the West End but not many houses that suited us in terms of space & garden we're on the market. I liked a lovely house on Conniscliffe Rd but found the road noise a bit too much so we've opted for the slightly more rural option. (my SIL scoffs at this as she says its far too well connected to be properly rural - A67,train station & buses). Was worried about airport noise but its actually quieter than where we used to live. Now just looking for builder/electrician/plumber etc to do the work we want to do.

gabiyogi Sun 22-Sep-13 11:23:44

We are moving to work in Darlington soon and want to know the best places to live within 20 miles of Darlington, but not in Darlington. Also, which are the best (non-fee paying) primary schools, so I can look at the houses in their catchment! Help please smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now