Local Talk

New to derby

(10 Posts)
HappyHippyMum Sat 07-Jan-12 17:30:52

Hi!

I've just moved to Ockbrook, near Borrowash, with my hubby who will be working away half the week and my 2 children, Bug who is 3 and Woody who is 15 months.

I quit work when we moved to be at home with the babies. I'm an attachment parent (tandem feeding, co sleeping (for a bit longer), BLW, baby wearing) and have found these choices have made feel a bit isolated in the past. I'd love to meet other like minded mums in the area (haven't lived here for 15 years so really don't know anyone at all!) for chats, play dates, general fun and mutual support.

I'm friendly and bubbly and can talk about anything and everything and love doing it. If anyone fancies coffee/trip to the park etc I'd love to hear from you and if anyone knows of any welcoming groups I can take the children to I'd be thrilled to hear about them.
I forgot how scary it is to move to a new area and I'm friendly and bubbly after I get over being terrified of meeting lots of new people! smile

Bostonliz Sun 15-Jan-12 23:07:19

Hi there,
I live at a school near Rocester (near Uttoxeter), but near enough to Derby. Like you, I'm new to the area, but unlike you I've never lived in these parts. My husband is British, and I'm American. We just moved back to the UK from the US (Boston, Massachusetts). We have a 3 year old daughter (Esme) and a 10 month old son (Alexander). Up until this year, I was a full time English teacher, so between the move and the change of job status, I am definitely itching to meet new folks and start feeling connected.

In short, I'd love to meet up. Afternoons are generally good for us, if you are interested.

Although I am not necessarily an attachment parenting devotee, I do have a copy of Dr. Sears's Baby Book that I still consult regularly, and my son still co-sleeps, even if that is generally by default rather than by plan!

Best,
Liz

drewsmum Sun 15-Jan-12 23:19:29

Hi,

I'm not very new to the area but like you, Liz, am from overseas (Canada though!) and have not made a lot of friends here since coming over. I have a 4 year old son, Drew. Would love to meet up for coffee, playdates etc. I live in Alvaston area of Derby. Best days are Mon and Wed.

Jennifer

HappyHippyMum Tue 17-Jan-12 16:02:11

Hi Liz and Jennifer!

Thanks so much for your replies. Really great to hear from both of you. We have been living in Nottingham with my parents for the last month while we have work done on our new house but should move in next week and hopefully then life will be a little easier. My daughter, Bug is struggling a little bit at the moment with the upheaval of the move so having some fun activities planned with some new people would do her (and me) the world of good. I love having a variety of people to spend time with and spent quite a bit of time in the states when I was younger (and a tiny bit of time in Canada) so would be thrilled to meet up sometime.

Libby. smile

DerbyKiwi Wed 25-Jan-12 14:53:51

Hi ladies
I have lived in derby for nearly 3 years but due to working in leicester I haven't met many people locally. I'm on maternity leave with my 7 week old baby boy and would love to met up with other mums. I also have a 4 year old son who is at school so I have most days free. I'm from nz and live in Boulton moor, which is near alvaston. My parenting philosophy is do whatever works for you so I'm open to anything really. Id be very keen to meet up soon either for a coffee or a walk smile

DerbyKiwi Wed 25-Jan-12 14:56:54

Hi Jennifer
What school does Drew go to out of interest? My son Leo is at alvaston infants and has a Drew in his class
Kylie

telvg Fri 03-Feb-12 22:08:08

Why dont you all come to the Bumps and Babies group, mentioned in another thread?

gma1 Wed 08-Feb-12 21:57:21

I'm new to the area with an 18 month old and am also finding the move traumatic. Still breast feeding and my partner works away. I do work part time but thursdays are a good day for me. Let me know where the bumps and babies is. Im still trying to navigate round this site!!

Nonperson Sun 12-Feb-12 22:18:09

Hi, am in a little village near Ashbourne, quit work for my little 4month breastfed DS. Would love to meet up any day smile

1shell Thu 24-May-12 13:13:39

Hi everyone just wondering if any of you met up/are still interested in meeting up? Im in Alvaston and mum to 4 ages 13,11,3,17 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now