Local Talk

Moving to Derby

(6 Posts)
WeLoveCake Sat 05-Jan-13 08:30:11

Hi, we have to relocate to Derby, but don't know the city at all. Can anyone suggest where to start looking? We need to have easy access to Nottingham, be 15-20mins taxi drive from the station and near good schools. Any ideas? Any suggestions of where to look or avoid would be gratefully received.

NKOTB Sat 05-Jan-13 09:02:59

We've done just that! (from SW)

We moved to chellaston. Dh works for rolls Royce so wanted to be within a reasonable cycle of there.

We looked at littleover and chellaston as they were where the good secondaries near dh's work seemed to be. So far I am very happy with the move! smile

Our money went a lot further here than in SW so we managed to upsize a LOT! smile

Derby seems pretty small and is fairly easy to get in/ out/ through town quickly so far. Although we've only been here a month...

There's a thread I started under my old name about dh thinking of working for rolls where would we live? I got loads of helpful suggestions! smile

Good luck!

WeLoveCake Sat 05-Jan-13 09:19:37

Thank you - just been off reading your old thread - we're from the SW too.

NKOTB Sat 05-Jan-13 10:01:05

Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised at how far your money will go! I think we'd have needed another 75k easily to buy similar in Bristol! shock so that just wouldn't have happened tbh.

Feel free to ask questions - although my local knowledge is still a work in progress! smile

1234adore Sat 05-Jan-13 14:30:07

You might also want to look at the Borrowash/Ockbrook area, close to spondon station and on the A52 for easy access for derby and Nottingham.

CantwaittilFriday Tue 08-Jan-13 12:32:24

Good Secondary Schools in city are:
Chellaston Academy, Chellaston
Littleover Community School - near hospital
Woodlands School, Allestree (north of city though and below the two above)
Landau Forte - but not get in by living in catchment, it is a lottery system

It gets very busy on roads to Nottingham, so perhaps look at areas with good access to A52 or A50 (road into depends on where you need to be in Nottingham)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now