Local Talk

Great places to go with the dc this summer

(7 Posts)
motherofvikings Thu 25-Jul-13 08:12:23

Where have you been with the dc?
Tell us all about it! smile

We've recently been to Staunton Harald reservoir. Great play area! smile
Scaddows farm PYO. dead cheap and lots of fruit! Strawberries are just finishing but raspberries will be ready soon apparently.

This is my first summer in derby so me and the dc still have lots of places to explore!

SybildeChocolate Mon 12-Aug-13 21:34:30

Chatsworth house is fab in the summer, I used to live in Markeaton Park with ds though (not literally). There's usually activities going on in the Museum as well so it's easy to break up the holiday. How's things going? smile

motherofvikings Thu 15-Aug-13 21:22:43

holidays have been lovely so far! smile
Just spent a fortune on uniform for ds starting reception - that was a bit scary!

motherofvikings Thu 15-Aug-13 21:27:37

oh and we did the paint a pot at markeaton park one rainy day. the dc loved it and are very pleased with their creations! smile

SybildeChocolate Thu 15-Aug-13 21:41:30

We love paint a pot! We have dragons, mugs, dragons, sea horses, dragons and VW vans grin School uniform is a pain sad

Sounds like you're having fun though. smile We're just chilling out. I'm still working (although from home so it's not too bad) but we're off to the Costwolds at the end of August.

Scaryfeet Sun 22-Jun-14 16:32:58

If you and your kids like adventures, I highly recommend searching online for walking routes in Derby. We usually print a map, fill a bag with sandwiches etc, and let the kids lead (once I'd shown them how to read a basic map). Sometimes we go off-route and see what we can find. These don't have to be difficult, for eg, there are several routes beginning at Markeaton Park that take you through the countryside. We have the best times on these adventures.

Similarly the bike routes in Derby are brilliant, and take you right out of the city into some beautiful areas.

Scaryfeet Sun 22-Jun-14 16:34:28

Also, if you're kids are old enough, the bike ride from Derby City to Staunton Harold is the most beautiful I've ever been on, taking you down canal paths and through woods etc. It's a long ride for kids and I'd recommend building up first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now