Local Talk

New local. Less tumbleweed?

(19 Posts)
EggFlipped Tue 13-Nov-12 19:42:49

Hello
Anyone in the Torquay/Newton Abbot area interested in making new friends? I have a 21 month old daughter & although we've been living here a couple of months, I haven't really met many people, so feeling like a real billy-no-mates.

Amphipathic Wed 14-Nov-12 13:43:08

Hi EggFlipped,

I live in Torquay, moved here in July and have the same "billy no mates" feeling. I would love to meet up for a coffee or a walk and we can swap ideas about things to do around here. I don't have any children so can understand it if you only want to meet people who have children as well. Let me know what you think!

EggFlipped Wed 14-Nov-12 18:22:14

Hi Amphipathic
I'd love to meet, but I'd probably need to bring DD along if it was in the daytime.

Amphipathic Wed 14-Nov-12 18:50:49

That's no problem. Do you live in Torquay or Newton Abbott? Have you found much to do since you've been here? I've found it to be very quiet! I used to live in the midlands so it's been a bit of a shock to say the least. I have found some nice walks and a few nice pubs.

I have a car so it's not too much of a faff to get anywhere, I havn't managed to figure out the bus routes yet!

CiderPunk Sat 17-Nov-12 20:09:43

Hi folks. I'm currently looking after the Exeter local site and thought I'd wander across to say hello... I'm up for daytime meets here & there around Devon (usually with my youngest in tow!)

EggFlipped Sat 17-Nov-12 20:26:27

Hi Amphipathic & CiderPunk

We live between Newton Abbot & Torquay. Close enough to both really.

I'm free to meet up most days (until I get a job.....). DD goes to nursery on Fridays.

CiderPunk Sat 17-Nov-12 21:41:52

Fridays are good for me, too... What about the 30th?

Clareaf2 Sun 10-Feb-13 18:48:29

Just seen this, we're moving to the area in the coming months once we find a house! I grew up in torquay and have family there but wondered what it was like for little ones? Are people friendly? Is there much for the little ones to do? Other than the beach that is! smile

EggFlipped Wed 13-Feb-13 19:41:29

Hi Clareaf2 I'm around Torquay & I'm friendly!
How old are your DC? There's loads!
There's Paignton Zoo, which is great for all ages. Pennywell farm for younger children and Crealy at Exeter.
There's a soft play in Torquay that's pretty good and a couple in Newton Abbot.
Great parks in Newton & Teignmouth.
Fantastic beaches.
For older children there's rock climbing locally. And caving. Dartmoor. Go Ape at Haldon.
Torbay Olympic Gymnastics has a play cafe for younger children and gymnastics for all ages.

CiderPunk Mon 25-Feb-13 10:46:44

Just to let everyone on this thread know that there's a meet-up arranged at the Torquay Play Cafe later this month - have a look at the Torbay group here:

local.mumsnet.com/devon/group-meet-ups

EmmK Thu 06-Jun-13 19:47:45

Hey all, I'm new to this site but in the same boat as some of you. Moved here 9 months ago from Essex and struggling if I'm honest. I'm 33, married with four boys. I live in Kingskerswell; between Torquay and Newton Abbot. Its very different to what I'm used to and I'm starting to think I've made a massive mistake :-(
I've met a few mums at the school but everyone always seems to be too busy living their lives (which is fair enough) but difficult when you're new somewhere and need to make some decent long term friends. I'm not sold on being here full time if I'm honest but my kids LOVE it here.....so there's the dilemma. I really need to meet some friendly girls that are like minded and that I have something in common with. I'm laid back and easy to get along with so I thought I'd be easy...
If anyone can relate, please message me. Be good to meet up Xx

CiderPunk Thu 06-Jun-13 22:05:24

EmmK, so lovely to hear from you. I've already replied on the Torquay meet-ups thread - we don't live too far from each other, so hopefully we can meet up on Saturday! How old are your DC, though? My eldest is 10 and therefore too big for the play cafe, so I only take my youngest to play cafe meets.

Use the search box at top right & find the "Meet and Make" club - they're based in Kingskerswell and meet up in the pub once a month to sew and natter. There are meet-ups in Exeter, too.

Don't be lonely. I've lived in Devon for nearly 27 years off & on, and I'm still not considered local!!! but have very much found my feet and I wouldn't be anywhere else now.

EggFlipped Fri 07-Jun-13 11:50:20

Hi EmmK
Can't figure out how to message you.
I'm friendly & pretty local to you & have a 2y old. How old are your kids?
It would be great to see you at one of the meet ups at the play cafe. If you can't make it/kids too old/whatever & you fancy meeting for a coffee or something that'd be cool.

CiderPunk Mon 10-Jun-13 13:19:26

Lovely to see you on Saturday EggFlipped

anyone not sure how to send private messages - look along the right hand side of the person's message header - there is a "Message Poster" option smile

LetMeAtTheTat Sun 30-Jun-13 21:22:52

Hi everyone,

another newbie here, based in Plymouth, moved down from Cotswolds with DP and 2 year old DD. Been joining groups and people are friendly but quite clearly have own social networks up and running. We have a car and can get out and about and would love to make some new friends. If anyone would like to meet up please PM.

We are dead nice, honest...

CiderPunk Sun 30-Jun-13 21:30:27

Hello LetMeAtTheTat. What a fabulous name! You'd be very welcome to a Torbay or Exeter meet (which are the ones I go to) but you might like to know that there's a Mumsnet Local Plymouth site as well? I don't think anyone's taken that one on as a local editor yet so it might be a little bit quiet, but worth a look!

LetMeAtTheTat Tue 02-Jul-13 22:16:31

Hi CiderPunk,

thanks for your message and invite. Would love to come along to a meet. Plymouth local does seem a bit quiet but I will post there too,

cheers!

KevinTheOracle Thu 10-Oct-13 10:04:29

EmmK, I am in the village too! Message me if you are still looking for people to meet up with. I have two boys at the school and am also early thirties and pretty easy to get on with (I hope!) x

Hi everyone,
If any of you lovely people would be interested in becoming a Local Ambassador for Mumsnet Devon or would like some more info about what's involved, then please get in touch devon@mumsnetlocal.com smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now