Newton Abbot Car Boot Sale. Any good?

(9 Posts)
Jellyrollquiltmom Wed 24-Feb-16 18:20:25

Hello Devon MN. We're coming to Torquay for a week in April (22-29) and really looking forward to it.
Personally I love a good rummage at a car boot sale and wondered if the one at Newton Abbot racecourse on Sunday 24th morning is worth giving up a family holiday morning for (and more importantly getting up early). smile

Any replies would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Ferguson Fri 11-Mar-16 20:36:47

I've not been to it, but here are a few links that might help:

Jellyrollquiltmom Fri 11-Mar-16 21:44:23

Thanks for those links Ferguson!
I'm probably going to make an early start of it by myself and leave the rest of the family to wander around Torquay until Sunday brunch. That way we'll all do something we enjoy!

coffeewitheightsugars Fri 11-Mar-16 21:57:56

It's pretty hit and miss (but I mean, aren't they all? grin) but usually quite a few tables out. Totnes Market on a Saturday is more my thing, DH got a designer jacket there for £8 and the Sunday Food Market (which you sadly will miss by a's every 3rd Sunday of the month) is ace. BUT, Totnes isn't as kid-friendly at all.

Jellyrollquiltmom Sat 12-Mar-16 06:51:43

Interesting! Off to Google the other attractions of Totnes...

Ferguson Sat 12-Mar-16 21:04:04

My wife used to go, and it was very good - but that was 20 or 30 years ago. She used to park at Tesco, immediately opposite, but there may be restrictions now.

At least it's easier to get to now, with the new 'by pass' South Devon Highway; no need to go into Newton Abbot, but turn off via Kingsteignton.

Totnes and Paignton both have steam railway.

Jellyrollquiltmom Sun 13-Mar-16 13:35:26

We're going on a daytrip to Dartmouth by steam train and ferry, in fact it's the highlight of our stay!
Not long to wait now...

coffeewitheightsugars Sun 13-Mar-16 13:50:40

Ooh the steam train/ferry trip is lovely. Have a great time.

Jellyrollquiltmom Sun 24-Apr-16 13:46:34

We've just come back from the Newton Abbott car boot sale £5 the poorer and a cheese dish, pottery figurine, 4 tiny framed pictures, a book and a fluffy Canadian goat the richer!
The weaather has been kind to us so far and we're really enjoying our stay in Torquay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now