Local Talk

Women Only Enterprise Club

(1 Post)
CiderPunk Fri 01-Mar-13 14:37:46

A brand new Enterprise club is to start up next week aimed at women only.
North Devon + have been managing a series of Enterprise Clubs designed specifically for those people who want to set up their own business or go self-employed but need some advice and support to get their idea off the ground.
Due to the success of the clubs, a new club aimed to support the specific needs of women is starting next Thursday morning at the offices of the North Devon Journal.

Many female entrepreneurs are looking for new income streams and smaller lifestyle businesses are being set up. However, women may have specific barriers to setting up a business such as dealing with self-confidence, business planning and maintaining a work/life balance. The women’s clubs will look to address these areas and provide any specific support needed. In order to help women be able to attend, childcare costs may be paid for if a registered child minder is used.

The project is supported through funding from the Leader programme, Jobcentre Plus and North Devon and Torridge District Councils.
Angie Taffs, Business Advisor at North Devon +, tells the Journal about her passion for the scheme and why she believes it could be the catalyst for many hidden talents in the area to blossom into thriving businesses.

“We are a rural area and can almost feel that we get forgotten at times,” she said. “Opportunities are fewer and further between in the area and this is offering women in North Devon the best possible chance to develop their ideas and create viable and sustainable businesses. These Enterprise Clubs will give women the option to consider setting up their own business and realise their full potential.

“Women will be able to get together will like-minded people where they can join together for a relaxed chat over a coffee and generate ideas that they may not have thought about on their own. Connections can be made and a support network created so they have someone to talk to about their ideas rather than, as was said to me today, “bending the ear off my other half all day who is now getting fed up”.

The Women’s Enterprise clubs will be run by Angie who says anyone is welcome to come along whether they have existing business experience or just want to find out if self-employment is for them or not.
“What I love about these Enterprise Clubs is that when I started a business of my own a few years ago, I found it quite lonely out there and felt rather isolated at times and unsure where to turn for help. I wanted to be able to pick up advice and ask questions but I found it somewhat intimidating going to existing business networking groups where everyone already had established businesses. I was worried about asking a question that would seem stupid.”

The Enterprise Club sessions will be relaxed and informal with a real mix of people and experiences where support can be given from each other along with the expert advice from North Devon + business advisors and guest speakers.

“I am so passionate about the Enterprise clubs and love meeting women who have just a grain of an idea and then watch as their ideas grow” said Angie. “I want to be able to see these women again in 12 months and see what a difference this scheme has made to them and the potentially life changing opportunities that have been opened for them.

“This is my personal passion. I joined North Devon+ because of the incredible work they do in supporting local businesses and being involved in something like this gives me such a feeling of fulfilment.”

North Devon+ provides a primary focus for regeneration, business support and tourism across Northern Devon. As the economic delivery agency for the area, we work with Torridge District Council, North Devon Council, Devon County Council and the private sector to deliver projects and initiatives that encourage and support business growth, improve quality of life, and address social and economic inequalities.

For more information about the Women’s Enterprise Clubs, dates and venues, how to attend or find out how you or your company could get involved in it, visit www.northdevonplus.co.uk or contact Angie Taffs on 01237 426426 / ataffs@northdevonplus.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now