Sturminster Newton?

(10 Posts)
123bertie Sun 04-Jan-15 22:56:43

I may be moving to Dorset with my husband and daughter (under2). We were thinking of moving to Sturminster Newton and I was wondering what it was like? I know that there are many prep schools nearby and my daughter will probably be going to one of those for nursery. I obviously won't know anyone. I was hoping to get some information. Thank you in advance!

new2dorset Sat 10-Jan-15 12:34:05

We may also be considering Sturminster too afterall! It's tricky as I have to get my daughter's school application in by next Thurs and I have no address yet!! Surely, there's someone else who has been in my position??

We will have to meet for a coffee.

123bertie Sun 11-Jan-15 20:09:47

Great! Where do you live at the moment? Where abouts in sturminster newton are you looking at? We will probably be there around may

new2dorset Mon 12-Jan-15 10:22:09

Hi 123Bertie, this is my original post - Moving to Blandford Forum:

We will be moving to Blandford Forum from Bucks during March 2015 with our daughter, (nearly 4 y o) as I have a new job to begin. We are excited but I am worried about my daughter settling in at a pre-school. I have started to look at Primary Schools in Blandford as my daughter will start a Primary School in September 2015. We are going to be new to the area and will not have any friends or family around.

I would like to meet with mums with small children, (ideally) at the weekends once my other half sets to the DIY that will no doubtedly be required on our new house. I would also like to meet with mums for advice, socials and adult conversation. I really look forward to hearing from anyone in my situation or has been in my situation or just anyone who can us ease into our new life.

It is going to be a super busy and no doubt stressful time for us as our home is not on the market yet, it needs a little work and besides we are having a viewing on Saturday in Blandford of a home I feel certain we shall make an offer on. Then there will be the emotional side to the move as I am sure my daughter will be sad to leave her friends behind...

BTW: I hear the SN is nice with good schools. I have to be careful about my forthcoming commute though.

We have decided to rent until we sell our home.

123bertie Sun 18-Jan-15 23:32:52

Any luck with the house search at all? Which schools are you looking at; I know blandford fairly well as a town. It's nice, a community feel and good in terms of variety of shops. Clubs and activities for children are good too. You shouldn't have too much of an issue settling in there at all. smile

new2dorset Wed 15-Apr-15 09:48:11

I hope that you are well. I apologise for not being in touch. Since corresponding with you last we did loads of house hunting. We lost out on 4 properties due to having a sale and a mortgage. Finally, we found a property in Sturminster on the Manston Road. We exchanged on Monday and we are moving in this weekend!

I do hope that we meet up. Enjoy your house hunting and let me know how you are getting on! I await hearing about Primary Schools tomorrow!

Lots of luck to you!

123bertie Sun 19-Apr-15 14:10:20

Hi! How was the move? Coincidently we are moving to a road that leads onto to manston road! Which end are you? We move this coming weekend. How did the primary school selection go?

new2dorset Sun 19-Apr-15 19:03:19

Hi there!

Long story! Lol! Be great to meet you and your family! We aren't far from town! We got the school we wanted but we need to appeal cos we chose all Blandford schools! Lol! Sturminser's lovely! : )

lino1111 Fri 08-Apr-16 20:41:34

Hello I know your posts are a little while back but just wanted to get in contact as myself, partner and children are looking to move to Sturminster Newton. I wondered if you have all settled and how you find living in the town and what the schools etc are like? I look dosed to your replies. X

Lovely primary school in Child Okeford ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now