Local Talk

MWs in Dundee

(11 Posts)
scaryfairy28 Sat 02-Oct-10 09:29:34

I am looking for a bit of advice. I am looking for a good midwife in Dundee, I went to my doctors surgery to let them know I was pregnant and was faced with three very pregnant women smoking at the front door. My doctors surgery is where I'll go for all my antenatal appointments and classes and I am worried I wont fit in at my surgery or get the support I need as a first time mum in with a lot of high risk mum's. I have read this and I know it makes me sound like a snob and I'm really not just a worrier!! CAn any one recommend where they have been and had a good expereince with classes?

TheChewyToffeeMum Sat 02-Oct-10 09:34:23

Where is your GP? The midwives you will see for your antenatal and postnatal checks will be attached to your GP surgery.
You can go to antenatal classes wherever you like - Ninewells or there are some run elsewhere in the city. I went to classes in Broughty Ferry and most of the mums were thoroughly 'middle class'!

[waves - from Dundee too!]

Where is your surgery? I am at the Grove Health Centre, and have to say that it's been nothing but lovely - a really good experience. Have to say though, my 1st pg was an altogether different experience as was at Terra Nova and was made to go to Whitfield Health Centre (or prison block, not sure which it resembles more. What an experience THAT was!) for my booking in with midwife. Terra Nova was not nice at all either - and they actaully saw me all the way through until post-natal 6 week check, where they told me I shouldn't have been there at all because of where I lived and basically kicked me out, telling me to find a new docs! Shocking!

This time however it's been so different. Booked in at Ninewells, which is really nice since it's all been done up (think they centre everything there now), then community midwife at Grove, Ninewells for 20 week scan and then community midwife again every few weeks. Saw consultant at Ninewells because of problems in last pg and was dealt with swiftly and in the best possible way.

TheChewyToffeeMum Sat 02-Oct-10 09:37:06

Forgot to add - there is also an NCT group who run classes in the West End. And a group called Dundee Birth Choices run classes too.

We went to the classes at Ninewells last time. You get a leaflet given to you when you book in about them. They do good Aquanatal at Olympia (although 8.30p.m at night - yawn!) which you have to phone and book.
The classes at Ninewells were ok, but we didn't learn anything we didn't already know from internet/books and thus haven't been this time around.

scaryfairy28 Sat 02-Oct-10 09:45:36

My GP is in the Hilltown / Stobswell as I lived in Lyon St as a student never had a problem with the surgery but I guess being pregnant is the first time I'll really need them. I have my scan date at Ninewells at 12 weeks and my first midwife appointment at 13 weeks. Is 13 weeks normal as everything I have read said 8 -10 weeks?

TheChewyToffeeMum Sat 02-Oct-10 10:17:54

Yes, 13 weeks (ie after 1st scan) is standard here - there is no need to be seen earlier if you are relatively healthy.

There is nothing to stop you moving GP if you want to (provided the new practice has an open list). Do you live somewhere else in the city now? If you do, you might want to move anyway to make visiting the GP with child/ren easier in future.

Congratulations btw!

try taybank medical centre, they have been my gps since i moved to dundee 6 years ago, and this is the 2nd pregnancy they are seeing me through. always very very willing to help you with anything you need and the health visitors are rather fab as well

i lived in stobswell for a while as well and its just on the arbroath road

ningthemerciless Fri 14-Jan-11 07:26:15

I'm with Arthurstone Medical Centre (The Mill Practice) and they were fab all throughout my pregnancy. The health visitor has been great too.

Although this thread is nearly 2 months old so dunno whther it will help much lol. DId you find someone to go with in the end?

lal123 Fri 14-Jan-11 07:47:16

You can go to whichever antenatal classes you want - I went to Wallacetown with my first as it was close to work and was grand. If you want to avoid smoking Mums you'll have a hard time in Dundee - according to the stats about 30% of our pregnant women smoke. If you are going to change GPs you can go just about anywhere in Dundee - but for Grove or Brown St in the Ferry you need to live in their "catchment" area. Health visitors are now arranged in teams - linked to a number of practices not just one.

scaryfairy28 Fri 14-Jan-11 23:36:46

Thanks think I'll with Lyon St going to go to evening classes at Ninewells anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now