Local Talk

When Two Become One - Dundee and Angus Local CHAT THREAD

(251 Posts)
TeaAndTunnocks Sat 23-Mar-13 11:45:49

The merging of the sites seems to have done funny stuff to active convos on here, so here is a new chat thread for all Mnetters in Dundee and Angus.

How are you all doing? If you don't know me yet, I am the Local Editor of the Dundee Angus site, and will be working hard to get the site filled with great places to visit, tips for classes and shopping, and lots of wine or coffee fueled meetups.

I have just been moving house this past week, which is why it has been very quiet on here, but am hoping to be back up to speed next week.

Soooooooooooooooo, how is the weather where you are? I am in Dundee and it is snowing but not lying. Can you believe it? Where is our Spring gone?

FaerieT Sat 23-Mar-13 21:24:30

I'm in Arbroath. It's been snowing on and off here (hailstones mostly) but not lying at all. Within seconds, the ground is dry again! Bloody freezing though!

CrystalQueen Sat 23-Mar-13 22:03:08

Sowing here in this part of Dundee - every morning there seems to be a fresh covering, but when I get down to my work in the centre there's hardly any. Just to make it feel even more wintery we've all got stinking colds.

TeaAndTunnocks Sun 24-Mar-13 11:36:51

It is miserable, isn't it?

Crystal
We are the same - DS has a rotten cough, DD is snivelling. I am too busy to get ill so dosing myself up with Lemsip in the hope I can stave it off.

We moved the desk upstairs this week, and it is lovely being able to look out of the window, but there is a cold draft coming in and blowing right across my fingers. I may need gloves!

Another month till the new windows go in, and I can't wait.

Don't have doors on the bedrooms at the moment, which isn't helping, and then DH went and put his foot through the attic / bedroom ceiling yesterday.

CrystalQueen Sun 24-Mar-13 22:49:02

my DD thinks they're called Limesips. Sounds more appetising than the honey and lemon things my DH bought (bleuch).

Our windows are terrible, but somehow every summer we forget how bad, until the cold weather strikes. Then of course you wouldn't get replacement windows in the middle of winter, better wait until the summer...

TeaAndTunnocks Mon 25-Mar-13 11:22:18

Limesips sound very nice.

Not as windy today so much more pleasant working in front of the window. And our joiner is here so we should have doors on the bedrooms soon, which will help.

I am irrationally excited by the thought of our new windows. I know that I will spend hours opening and shutting them.

Euphemia Fri 05-Apr-13 21:13:33

Monifieth here. smile

TeaAndTunnocks Sat 06-Apr-13 23:02:26

Hello Euphemia. How are you doing.

Hey, guys. I am off to Cairnie Fruit Farm on Monday and have posted on the Fife board. If anyone fancies coming over and joining us.

CrystalQueen Sun 07-Apr-13 09:23:23

How can it be snowing again? The sun yesterday lulled me into thinking that spring was finally here - turned my storage heaters down and everything!

Euphemia Sun 07-Apr-13 10:03:41

Snowing where?!

CrystalQueen Sun 07-Apr-13 10:24:25

Menzieshill, Dundee - although we are on top of a hill. Report from Alyth also snowing. Not a blizzard but definitely white stuff.

Euphemia Sun 07-Apr-13 11:05:09

We just had some big fat flakes in Monifieth! Go away already! sad

BalgayHill Sun 07-Apr-13 12:28:24

Snowing here - village out the back of Dundee. Can't believe it.

Not a blizzard but having a good try.

We had had a great day yesterday. DS was out all day in the garden and caught a wee bit of the sun on his cheeks. And now this!

FaerieT Sun 07-Apr-13 21:55:11

Snowing in Arbroath today too! Big fat, wet flakes. Nothing that would stick - not that our snow in this little bubble ever seems to stick anyway! Think it is supposed to heat up again next week - here's hoping!

TeaAndTunnocks Mon 08-Apr-13 10:23:52

We had a fair bit of snow yesterday too, but thankfully nothing stuck.

I am off to email the council today. We went for a walk yesterday and I tripped over an extremely uneven pavement. Banged my knees, hands and chin and ended up at Ninewells getting checked for concussion after having some vision distortion.

Also scratched my glasses, so I will have to go into town and see about replacing a lens.

What have you all got planned for the rest of the hols?

CrystalQueen Wed 10-Apr-13 22:08:44

Oooh, I hope you're OK. The pavements and roads are a total state.

TeaAndTunnocks Wed 10-Apr-13 23:04:13

Thanks, crystal. Am fine. Very conscious of how lucky I was. I had my hands in my pockets a moment earlier.

Without my hands to break my fall, it could have been v nasty indeed.

How are you all doing?

I've been working hard on the MN Fife site this week - will get cracking on Dundee next week. If you could give me tips on playground and mother / toddler groups in your area.

CrystalQueen Wed 17-Apr-13 22:04:32

My DD has just outgrown toddler groups but she enjoyed the one at Woodlea Children's Centre
www.dundeecity.gov.uk/education/woodleacentre
It was on a Wednesday morning (I think 9-11.30) and they had another session on Thursday afternoons (12.45-3.15).

TeaAndTunnocks Thu 18-Apr-13 14:26:19

Thanks, Crystal. Will perhaps pop in there and say hello to them. Would like to get some listings up.

Errolite Fri 19-Apr-13 20:18:34

Hello! Noticed the fb post so thought I'd pop in, hope everyone is having a lovely Friday evening smile

MrsFerret Fri 19-Apr-13 20:50:22

Hello. Errolite that's why i pop in too grin

AsdaCommunity Fri 14-Jun-13 11:19:58

Hey Mums, I am the community colleague at Dundee Milton store, we are having a Mums Listening Group today at 1:15pm for around an hour, local MSP Shona Robison will be in attendance, we will be covering issues such as; Rising cost of living, food prices, along with many more. If you would be interested in taking part, please head along to the customer service desk for 1:15 and I will show you where to go. If you would like any further details, please contact Yvanne in store on 01382 503703

Spanner21 Tue 25-Jun-13 16:06:10

Hi, I'm a parent in Aberdeen concerned about Curriculum for Excellence and specifically the number of subjects kids study in S4. I think you guys are in the same position as us - limited to 6. Up here we're working with Aberdeenshire parents to raise awareness, including setting up a petition:

chn.ge/1cbpzkX

and FB page called Curriculum for Excellence - Parents' Voice.

Please sign up if you agree with me and leave a message on the FB page if you want to link up with other parents. Thanks

Pehsandbridies Sun 28-Jul-13 20:45:31

Just saying hello.

LEDundeeAngus Sun 28-Jul-13 20:46:57

Bumping this thread for all the Dundee folk

Cope and discuss the merits (and demerits!) of the City of Discovery, but no dissing Lochee [hard stare]

(Maybe should do the hard stare thing when talking about Lochee. You do know I am just joking, right?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now