Local Talk

Where are all the Mum's in Dunfermline?

(48 Posts)
crazyforniamh Sat 24-Jul-10 22:27:47

Is there anyone out there? Us Dunfermline Mums must be very busy folk. Wld love to hear from any new Mums.

ln1981 Wed 28-Jul-10 00:32:09

Not a new mum, but a Dunfermline mum!! Is that allowed??

My name is Lynne, and I have 3 dc's aged 6, 4, and 3. We live near Bellyeoman P.S, having just moved up from Duloch.

How about you? smile

crazyforniamh Thu 05-Aug-10 16:16:03

Hi In1981 I am a first time Mum with one DD aged 20 weeks. Sorry for the delay in responding, - thought this thread was dead! How are the school hols going for you?

ln1981 Sat 14-Aug-10 19:05:02

Aww congrats!
Thats ok, not sure if there are many of us on here you know! i check ithis page on the off chance. And my apologies for not replying back quicker either!
The school hols havent been too bad actually-not as stressful as I feared they might be! wink
Am secretly glad however that they are all over this week...
I have 3dc's-2 boys aged 6 and 3 and one girl aged 4. Little two are starting school and nursery next week-am going to be so lost (am SAHM) with no children to pick up after at all!

How are you finding being a mummy? I hope it is all going good for you. The early days feel like such a long time ago (feel all nostalgic now!)

Broodymomma Wed 25-Aug-10 20:25:12

Hi

Another Dunfermline mum here. I have a 3 year old ds. Originaly from Edinburgh but moved over the bridge 7 years ago. I am in Duloch.

ln1981 Sun 29-Aug-10 23:16:13

hi Broodymomma.

so there are a few of us around then?! grin

tefal Thu 09-Sep-10 15:49:17

Hello!

I've got a 2 year old boy and we've just moved back to Dunfermline from Australia!

Tried to go to soft play yesterday but it was closed! Ended up at Ceramic Experience and then another trip to the park....there must be more on offer for youngsters?

ln1981 Tue 14-Sep-10 00:36:24

Unfortunately i dont think that there is!
Not been to Ceramic experience yet, though have heard nothing but good thins about it. There is Playplanet down in Dalgety Bay-always packed though! Or Crunch n Play out at Halbeath. Am assuming it was one of these you maybe went to?

if you are able to travel further away and your wee one likes animals, you should give Fife Animal Park a try. Its quite small but its quite reasonably priced and you can feed the animals, also has soft play and a cafe. Its near Collessie, not far from Ladybank.
We only discoverd it last year but we always head there if short on cash and the weathers ok.

tefal Thu 23-Sep-10 20:17:40

It was the one at Halbeath! Strange it was closed really!

Cookie1982 Sat 25-Sep-10 16:55:47

Message deleted

ln1981 Sun 26-Sep-10 12:26:18

I wonder why it was closed?! though i think that one out at Halbeath has changed hands quite a few times since it first opened.
also just thought, there is Jumping Jacks in Kirkcaldy (another soft play) which is also supposed to be quite good.

crazyforniamh Wed 20-Oct-10 20:34:03

Hi Ladies, is this thread still working? Does anyone know/go to any good groups in Dunfermline? My DD is 7 months now and I'd like to take her to some groups. I've e-mailed JoJingles (not sure if I'm a singing in public kinda gal but hey!). I'm just a bit unsure if most groups are really for toddlers rather than babies. Any advice?

ln1981 Sun 31-Oct-10 21:40:33

my friend goes to a mother and baby/toddler group. not sure of the details but i could ask her for you if you like? what about your health visitor. when my wee ones were babies, my hv gave me a massive list of groups. she could be worth a try too.

cara32 Wed 03-Nov-10 11:19:32

I've just started going to Baby Sensory (class in Our Lourdes Church on Aberdour Road), which is quite good and also take my little one to Duloch Parent and Toddlers. Haven't found much else on. Jo Jingles is good fun - I used to take my older child (and you don't really need to sing, although their's lots of dancing around...)

crazyforniamh Sun 09-Jan-11 20:15:47

Sorry folks, my laptop haad a meltdown before Xmas and I just got back online!!

I'm going to try another baby group on Wed (the last one were pretty unfriendly) and I started a music group too that she loves and it's small and friendly. Do any of you take your little ones swimming? If so, where and is it hard work?

paistropical Wed 12-Jan-11 21:53:12

Hello, Im new to this site and thought I would say hello. I have a little boy who is 13 months

paistropical Wed 12-Jan-11 21:55:09

and was just wondering if anyone could recommend any groups/things to do on a WED/FRI as work the rest of the week

Yvonne2010 Tue 01-Feb-11 18:23:07

Hello there,
I live in Dunfermline and have a 1 year old girl. We moved here in Sept 2009 while I was heavily pregnant and due to various pregnancy related health problems I have really been quite isolated. My husband works in Edinburgh and I am a stay-at-home mum.

I took my baby to Inga Jack's Baby Band at the Erskine Church on Robertson Road (Wednesdays) and that is great but just as I was getting to know the mums they all vanished back to their jobs. I take baby for walks and the play park when the weather is nice (snow has kept us in recently).

I really wanted to go swimming but the leisure centre is NEVER going to reopen if the papers are anything to go by. I've seen women with older children going into Bannatyne's gym at Fife Leisure park but I don't think babies would be welcome, I may be wrong. Not sure we could justify gym membership just to get into the pool! I tried Rhyme Time at the library but there is a long waiting list and it was too far for me to get there easily (baby band is closer). It was a nice enough group but the mums just ran off at the end so I didn't think there was much hope of getting to know them. I think the snag is that Dunfermline is pretty much just a commuter town and all the children and babies are in nursery or with grandparents through the day. I really do try very hard to speak to mums and dads but most folk I meet are just a bit aloof. I'm 32 and seem to be older than many of the mums too.

There's a mum and baby cinema event each week at the Odeon, Fife Leisure Park. There is a morning cafe at the Erskine church. I think there is a baby massage class at the Erskine Church and yoga (that may be prenatal). I can't go to lots of paid activities so you'll find me out for a walk at the park or home in the garden. I keep myself amused and baby is getting old enough to be more company. Nothing to do with babies but I'm off to have a doctorfish pedicure at Nailz this weekend with a friend - should be fun.

'Little World' shop near the library is 1 year old this Thursday and the owner is inviting customers along for a discount evening with a glass of bubbly. That's one little outing and her clothes are lovely. The 'Little Peas' shop on Castleblair road (i think that's the name) has coffee facilities but I've not seen anyone just sitting chatting. Arya, cloth nappy mamma, works there and is very nice.

Baby calls!

ln1981 Sat 05-Feb-11 18:44:30

think it is fair to say that there aint much on for us mums in Dunfermline is there?! Even when all mine were babies we didnt have much...
i sometimes take mine to Cowdenbeath for swimming but it can be a bit busy at times. howvever, my dad sometimes takes them to Pettycur, where the caravans are. they let the general public in, and it is normally very quiet. only downside is that you have to pay for the kids. have posted a link below for anyone wo is interested. i cant wait for Carneige to be open again as it is less than a 5min walk and i really resent having to fork out to travel further afield (yes i am a bit tight!! wink )

www.pettycur.co.uk/swimmingpool.asp

crazyforniamh Tue 22-Feb-11 14:54:46

Hi folks,

I take my little one to Babay Band on Friday morns and I agree with Yvonne that it's a nice class but folk do tend to go off afterwards. I went to a few parent and toddlers groups but found them a bit clichy. I'm now thinking of trying soft play areas and see if I can meet other mums there for a blether. Anyone got recommendations/want to come?

My girl will be 1 on 13th March - can't believe what a fast year it's been!

Gill x

ln1981 Mon 07-Mar-11 22:24:44

Hi Gill.
Happy Birthday for your wee one when it comes.

Playplanet in Dalgety Bay is good. they have toddler club thingy on a monday 9am-12noon, £2 for 2hours. went this morning with my youngest, he loves it there. it can get quite busy though. the kids also get a juice and biscuit included in that. if you are on facebook, do a search for them and add them to your friends list. they post daily deals for entry and for their wee cafe bit. its also getting redecorated at the moment so in a few weeks time it should look lovely.

If you fancy a wee bit further out, you could try Jumping Jacks in Kirkcaldy. I havent been but its supposed to be really good there too.
smile

pantufah Mon 04-Apr-11 16:41:17

Hi, im a fitness instructor and i run classes for children and adults throughout fife. i dont have any classes set up yet in dalgety bay nor dunfermline, but if enough ppl were interested, i would start them as soon as.

Some of the classes i teach:
Beats Balance and Movement - for children 12 months up to 5yo, to helpt with rhythm, balance,coordination,teamwork and fairplay

Mini-bootcamp-over 5´s

Bootcamp - for adults, weightloss and keet fit camps

Cheerleading

Zumba-bootcamp- zumba class mixed with highly energetic fitness drills to help with weightloss and to keep you toned and fit

Email me on t-f-n@hotmail.co.uk or call 07763234908 for info.

I had a much nicer post written but my laptop decided it has a mind of its own and erased it before i could post it, so i just decided to write the short version of it as im on my way to my next class!Sorry!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cristina

youngmummyof2 Fri 15-Apr-11 15:53:13

Hi every1 my name is gill I've lived in dunfermline for 6months now and I live in dundee before then. I find it difficult meetin other mums I've been to a few motther and toddler groups but most of them don't really talk and when it ends they all hurry and leave so get a chance to properly speak to them. Would be nice to meet other mums in dunfermline to talk x

missdelt Thu 21-Apr-11 13:48:01

Hi Ladies
I'm a mum to be, due our first baby on 25th July.

Like some of you I would like to get to know some other mums in the dunfermline area, so if anyone is up for doing just that and having a chat let me know. If folks are interested, maybe we could use this post to organise something

x

thelambliesdown Thu 21-Apr-11 15:59:31

Hi! Not sure if it is still going, but 20 and 15 years ago when I had babies, NCT Dunfermline branch was a godsend and they had loads going on. It was a great bunch of women from all walks of life and we had baby groups, met at the park, coffee mornings and evening meetings in member's houses.May be worth seeing if things are still as active these days!

Pamy Wed 27-Apr-11 19:21:29

Hi there,

I run an under 5's art & craft class called Doodle & Splat in Dunfermline, Dalgety bay & Kirkcaldy and we have classes running on a tue/we/thur/fri at various locations. The classes are very relaxed and infomal and the mums and wee ones who come to the classes are lovely. We have lots for the little ones to do with trays with water, sand, slime, shaving foam, plus play doh, crayons, chalk...this list goes on! Plus we have 1 or 2 art & craft activities, so there is lots to keep the wee ones busy making wonderful little masterpieces, allowing you the time to enjoy together and chat with the other mums.

You can get more information on our classes at www.doodleandsplat.co.uk or email me a doodle@doodleandsplat.co.uk

Thanks

Pamela

homebound Sun 26-Jun-11 10:53:00

HI everyone, I see it has been a while since the last post but hopefully you all will see this. Im a 'Dunfermline Mum' to a 5 1/2 month old and loving it. I honestly have been doing so much since I had my son that Im surprised to see that others are finding it hard to do things!

We go for a buggy walk on Monday's in LImekilns along the promenade at 10 am if you are interested its free and we usually stop in at the Ship Inn on our way back to sample the cakes and have a cuppa before heading our own ways - I really enjoy it albeit difficult to get to LImekilns for 10am with a 5 1/2 month old but it will be easier for some than others. I know that there is a baby massage class in Limekilns that afternoon as well, there is also a baby sensory class on Mondays in Crossford and they hold them in Dunfermline as well! In addition on Mondays there is a mum and toddler group at Oakley Community Centre at 1:30 which costs £2 and that includes your tea/coffee and biscuit and a snack for the wee ones.

We go to a massage class followed by another buggy walk on a Tuesday in Oakley both of which are free.

There is a mum and toddler group in Comrie on Wednesday (off for the summer just now, but will resume again) but is also held on a Friday 130-3 over the summer but is normally 1-230. http://www.comrietoddlers.org.uk/Index.asp?MainID=9469

There should be things like this in each of our areas, but if there isnt..come and join us! Check your health centre notice boards and check with the health visitors as they are 'up' on all of these things.

Hope this helps!

EmmaMcalpine Wed 10-Aug-11 22:42:56

hey. just joined mumsnet i have a 3 and a half months old baby.. i want to start goin to groups in dunfermline area but dont know off any. x

Emr76 Thu 11-Aug-11 22:59:29

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Kincardine from Edinburgh and have left all my kid's friends (and mine for that matter) in Edinburgh and we spend ALOT more time at home these days because I don't know so many people here or where to take the girls for fun, other than the staple soft play etc. It's also much more fun and preserves your sanity if you've got a mum or two to natter to.

I'll tell you a bit about myself. I'm 34 and married to John. We both work in Edinburgh royal infirmary as lab tech's (think CSI). I'm actually going back to work in a few weeks, that's if hubbies well enough to look after the girls as he fell off a ladder and fracutured his spine! He's walking and is begining to recover but can't pick the girls up.

My girls are Lucy (3) and Becca (1), Lucys a fan of soft play and all things girly, and becca loves her animals. We've got a cat, dog and hamster and will prolly end up with more pets soon enough.

If anyone wants to chat pls contact me.

Em

Not quite Dunfermline but close by, however my dcs are teens sad <broody>, so soft play is deffo out for us.

Nice to see there are some here though smile

Firsttimemum2011 Sat 17-Sep-11 12:40:59

Hello,

I am a first time mum to a one month old and I've not been able to find any baby groups where I can meet other mums in or near my area (inverkeithing).

If anyone knows of any groups that meet, any information would be appreciated. Also if anyone wants to meet for a coffee, then pm me.

Sarah

mf2011 Sat 24-Sep-11 11:17:23

Hi my name is mandy i have a 5mth old boy as well as 3 older children i live in glenrothes but there appears to be very little going on or if there is i cant find it, would be willing to travel to meet other people with young children anyone got room for another mum. thanks mandy blush

musicalsteps Thu 02-Feb-12 20:10:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mum2Fergus Thu 16-Feb-12 21:24:02

Dunfermline Mum here ... Masterton Lea development. Mum to 2 1/2yo son, working 4 days so son in nursery during that time. Anyone nearby free for tea/playdates?

LiveforeverwithJustyna Mon 18-Feb-13 00:39:18

Hi, I just thought I will say hallo! I'm a mom of two, girl (2.5 years)and a boy (1.5years). We live in Oakley near Dunfermline but I'm very often in the town.
There is one toddler group in Oakley as well, new one in Blairhall (which is just a next village). But, yeah-you are all right-not too much to do with kids-especially when is raining. {advertising removed by mumsnet hq]. Would be great to meet mums from the area and have a chat or coffee! xx

TeaAndTunnocks Wed 27-Feb-13 22:59:08

Hi everyone. Glad to see some Fife mums posting. It has been a bit quiet while we set up the new site.

I am the Local Editor for Fife Mumsnet, and just wanted to let you all know that while we encourage all businesses to add a Listing, we don't allow adverts on the talk boards.

If you have your own business, or if you run a playgroup or any kind of event, do take advantage of our free Local Listings.

Come and say hello on Facebook too and we will help promote your event or business there too.

We are hoping to find lots of Local Ambassadors to help set up Mumsnet meet-ups for us, in return for some goodies More info here

If you know of good mother and toddler groups, please let us know and we will add them to the Listings - makes it much easier then for people to find out what is going on than having to trawl through loads of old threads.

Phew. That is all the official stuff out of the way. Anyone fancy meeting for coffee sometime?

OliviaMumsnetHerts Wed 27-Feb-13 23:22:45

Hi there Justyna
Just to let you know we've removed your advert - you can list your details elsewhere on MN local
Happy Coffee Mornings to youse all.
grin

TeaAndTunnocks Thu 28-Feb-13 09:06:44

Thanks Olivia. brew (bit early for gin)

mammanik Mon 04-Mar-13 12:20:56

Hi.I'm a new mum to a 13 week old baby, and live in Dunfermline, and have done for about 18 months. I haven't plucked up the courage to attend any baby groups so thought i'd start here. Would love to meet other mums to have coffee and chats. I work in Edinburgh (on maternity leave) so don't really know any mums in fife -  Anyone in the same boat?

singingchipie Mon 04-Mar-13 22:08:05

Hi Mammanik
Congratulations on your wee one and welcome to the blur of being a new mum! My wee boy is 21 months old now and its probably been the best 21 months of my life though the early days of lack of sleep and trying to get out the house are hard going but you get through it. I felt like I was constantly trying to get places and always getting there late, at the end of the class or on the rare times I got there on time, the wee man was sound asleep and slept right through! You feel like the only one but all other mums are just the same, you just need to get chatting to them to find out. I definitely recommend getting to baby groups as and when you find them. Look out for the Bookbugs classes (free) at the library. Hopefully some Dunfermline mums can let you know what is on around you. I'm over in Kirkcaldy and arranging a meet up soon so look out for that but if you want to come over and meet up for a coffee in the meantime, let me know smile

TeaAndTunnocks Tue 05-Mar-13 22:48:59

Hi Mammanik
congratulations on the birth of your wee one. Exciting times for you all. Mine are much older, and as much as a cliche as it is, enjoy it while you can. They do indeed grow up so blooming fast.

I am over in Dundee, but if we get a Fife meet up organised, then I will come over. How do you guys feel about meeting at Muddy Boots or Cairnie Fruit Farm?

Helen1972 Wed 06-Mar-13 16:45:57

Hi Mammanik
I help to run a group for new parents (mainly mums) and babies on a Monday in Dunfermline. You are very welcome to come along, we have new mums coming along most weeks and there are babies ranging from days/weeks old to almost age one. It's a good way to meet people and to find out what else is going on locally. It's at the Dunfermline East Church, which is the new church along from Tesco and Duloch Primary. Mondays 10.30-12.

TeaAndTunnocks Fri 08-Mar-13 21:47:53

Hi Helen,

would you like to add the details of your group to the Listings on MN Local? Here is the right topic for Baby and Toddler Groups.

If you are on Facebook, look us up and we will connect with you there too. (I am the MN Local Editor and responsible for the Local pages and Social Media sites).

Thanks for posting.

Whinnyburn7 Wed 10-Apr-13 11:56:35

Hi Mammanik
I live just near you, at the top of rosyth, nearish the Sky building. I have a 21 month old, I don't know lots of mums either, I moved here from Portsmouth so left behind a lot of childhood friends, made new ones here some are mums but not many, and I know it can be difficult to find your place when your 'new in town'. I used to work in edinburgh before I had my little boy. I have just become the local ambassador for my area so I'm trying to get all us mums out of hiding smile.
Let me know if you fancy meeting up for a chat and cake x

velvetelvis Tue 16-Apr-13 08:56:49

Hello Dunfermline Mums!
Whinnyburn 7 I also live near you and Mammanik, between Sky and "The Big Tesco"!
I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and I am currently working 2 days a week in Edinburgh. I have lived here for almost 3 years but still don't really know that many mums. Would love to meet up sometime! x

Whinnyburn7 Tue 23-Apr-13 15:44:06

Hi velvetelvis

Sounds good to me, I am busy this week but next week would be good. I have no idea how to private message on here.......
Sorry I took a while to reply I forget to check!! X

velvetelvis Tue 23-Apr-13 16:40:58

Only just checked back here too Whinnyburn! Ill try send you a private mail and see if you get it. We can hopefully arrange something there!

DorothyGalesRubyShoes Thu 13-Feb-14 17:00:03

Hello Dunfermline mums - can any of you tell me about the good primary and secondary schools in the area please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now