Local Talk

life in dunfermline...

(9 Posts)
Sillyness Mon 27-Feb-12 14:02:54

hi there! am thinking of moving to dunfermline.
can see some pros...
-great value for money on houses (main reason)
-great location (edinburgh, st andrews, stirling, airports)

but what do you guys think? do you love where you live? why?
are there any cons i should think about?
how are the schools/ public transport/ community feeling/ shopping centres?

Mum2Fergus Mon 05-Mar-12 08:10:20

Hi, I moved to Dunf almost 10 years ago now. Was for proximity to work initially, had opportunity to move back to Glasgow (and family/friends) before son was born but opted to stop here. House prices reasonable but when buying again would avoid any of the new(er) estates due to lack of facilities. School proving challenging, am in 1/2 mile proximity of school but have to attend one nearly 2 miles away due to build up in new estate and catchment area. Shopping, depends what you look for-town centre is a bit chavtastic. That said, great links to Edin etc. On rereading this it appears negative, but put it this way, Im still here, and planning my next house move...still in Dunfermline! Lol good luck whatever your decision x

Sillyness Sat 10-Mar-12 16:38:58

thanks so much!!

Piffpaffpoff Sat 10-Mar-12 17:04:55

Mum2Fergus I'm guessing by your comment re the schools that you are near me (think Tesco?). I actually think that (school issue aside) there are actually quite a lot of amenities/facilities out here. Duloch Leisure centre with gym, creche, huge library, cafe and lots of kids classes and toddlers groups and playgroups. There are lots of after school things at Masterton like Judo, Rainbows. There are wee play parks dotted around everywhere plus the big park with ducks to feed. Plus there's Tesco/Aldi plus the wee parade of shops with hairdresser/baker/pharmacy etc. Ok it's no Stockbridge or Morningside but it's got everything you need for everyday life with kids.

I like it here, it's great for commuting into Edinburgh and you're right on the motorway for getting pretty much anywhere in the central belt.

Mum2Fergus Sun 11-Mar-12 09:23:50

No, not by Tesco. As before, did not mean to sound negative about the place...indeed our imminent house move will keep us here. Perhaps Im used to a more 'community' environment. I just find all these new estates, Duloch, etc... totally soul-less.

Piffpaffpoff Sun 11-Mar-12 15:50:34

I suppose anywhere is what you make of it, isnt it. I certainly think some people have a sense of community in Duloch, but there are definitely a lot that don't! On a totally different note, I'm sorry to hear you've got school catchment problems too, that's one downside to the south end of Duloch that I thought was not a problem elsewhere in town. Sooooooo frustrating when there's a school in easy walking distance that you can't get into, so I share your pain on that front.

Mum2Fergus Sun 11-Mar-12 20:35:07

Its a total pain, thats why we're looking to move. Saw a couple of nice houses in South Queensferry today, arranging a second visit to one tomorrow!

Piffpaffpoff Sun 11-Mar-12 20:52:29

Make sure you ask about schools before you buy, lol!

Mum2Fergus Mon 12-Mar-12 16:01:24

House is right next door to the school. so unless there are a nation of tent dwellers in the playground I should be ok lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now