Local Talk

Durham schools. Advice needed for someone moving into the area. Thank you!

(6 Posts)
mrsfrasercrane Wed 17-Oct-12 14:24:12

moving to Durham (or Newcastle maybe) from the South. DD is very bright but dyslexic and undr performing at the mo.. looking for a great secondary school. we could afford to live near Durham Johnston, but is it very focused on results and the sort of place for an under performer to get missed? I beleive that with the right environmet she could do really well, but equally she could go under the radar.
St leonards? mixed ofsted. But this does not always tell the whole story...
Durham school ? Durham high school for girlls? (private i know)
please help of you can...

mrsfrasercrane Wed 17-Oct-12 21:35:17

I had posted in Education, but was advised to try here...

Jakadaal Wed 17-Oct-12 21:40:53

Hi from what I have heard Durham Johnson does not have a good rep for SN or learning disabilities. However Framwellgate Moor (Durham) has a great achievement centre and is vey focused on additional needs. Dyslexia Action also have a teaching outpost in Durham city.

HTH. My DD has dyslexia so if you want to pm me for a longer chat then feel free

mrsfrasercrane Thu 18-Oct-12 22:03:22

Thank you, as your daughter also has dyslexia I am keen to get your thoughts on this. Have pm you.

yveeastdurham Wed 14-Nov-12 12:09:59

Old thread, but Framwellgate Moor liaises with and teaches children from a local special school and isn't sniffy about SN.

Durham Johnson barely even pays lip service to SN on its website. I also know a few people who have moved their kids away from the school because it was too pressured an environment for them and they had issues with the pastoral care.

Jjfidget Fri 23-Nov-12 21:34:41

I work in special needs, regularly visit all the Durham schools and wouldn't send my child to Fram, even if he didn't have sen. Durham Johnston has an unfair reputation actually when it comes to sen and they do really well with some very tricky kids. St Leonard's is a good school for most kids but if I had the choice I'd go for Johnston.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now