Darlington Memorial Hospital petition

(8 Posts)
Teachjay Thu 12-May-16 20:13:56

Hope it is ok to post this here - it looks like the hospital services are going to be downgraded - A&E and the consultant-led maternity service both in the firing line. If you could have a read and sign the petition that would be great!

BlackhallRocker Wed 29-Jun-16 05:58:03

Bloody hell I didn't know that! I'm from there originally. This happened to Hartlepool and now it's almost gone.

Where would everyone go? Presumably a combination of durham and north tees or James Cook?

ShadowNova Wed 29-Jun-16 07:34:13

I read something in one of the local papers recently about twin deliveries being moved to James Cook.

Sounded like there'd been a fairly damning review that had recommended a number of improvements the hospital needed to make to its maternity services.

Frankly, if I'd been planning any sort of delivery at Darlington, that news would have been off-putting.

Indith Wed 29-Jun-16 09:37:40

The recent official reports from Durham and Darlington trust are terrible. There are serious safety concerns. Anyone remember Morecombe Bay and the Kirkup report? There are striking similarities in terms of the workplace culture and relationship between midwives and doctors. There is a lot of work to be done. I strongly agree that we need to retain midwifery services in Darlington but a restructure is needed.

ShadowNova Wed 29-Jun-16 09:46:40

That's the article I saw about the twin births being moved to James Cook. If that's an accurate reflection of the official report, it would really put me off giving birth in Darlington Memorial Hospital at the minute.

Toomanyclares Thu 30-Jun-16 06:21:08

I can't fault Darlington a&e and children's care, and I have used them a lot recently.
I understand the maternity concerns but I'm not sure downgrading is the answer when it could be put right.

LocalEditorDurham Thu 30-Jun-16 12:42:59

I'll see if I am able to add this thread to the newsletter. If I am, it might get some more support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now