Chester Le Street Secondary Schools Advice

(11 Posts)
Sulusu Thu 19-May-16 12:37:43

Hi. I am moving to Durham/Chester Le Street area in the next few months and would like some advice on secondary schools in Chester.

My son has autism (in a mainstream school) and I was wondering if anyone has experience of the two secondarys in Chester Le Street and which one is better with SEN? Hermitage Academy has the better ofstead report generally. I am moving from Scotland so not sure about the school systems.

We have also looked at Durham and Durham Johnston Comp.

Thanks smile

yveeastdurham Thu 19-May-16 12:51:15

Durham Johnston has a very tight catchment area (there's people living right in Durham who miss out) and, as far as I've been able to make out from when I've put out feelers of my own, isn't that great with SEN.

I know nothing about schools actually in CLS, since I live out the other side of Durham. I know someone I might be able to ask, though.

For ASD, a good secondary to seriously investigate on that side of Durham is Framwellgate Moor. They have a fair bit of expertise (or did, last time I looked) and close liaison with Durham Trinity Special school, as they often take a few kids from there for GSCE.

Sulusu Thu 19-May-16 13:44:50

Thanks Yveeastdurham, thats helpful re Framwellgate. I seem to recollect I was struggling a bit for nice areas house wise on that side of Durham though, any recommendations? My budget isn't huge though sadly. My DS is only 8 so this is me thinking well ahead as his school experiences have not been good so far.

Have you looked at esh, Langley park and the areas in and around Lanchester?

Sulusu Thu 19-May-16 14:11:26

Oh I hadn't looked at Lanchester before thanks for the tip. I see it has a very good catholic secondary there, how hard is it to get in not being catholic? Up here in Scotland that can be tricky.

I know of quite a few non catholics (including us) who will be applying. It's a lovely school as far as I can tell. There are some fantastic primaries around there as well

Sulusu Thu 19-May-16 14:22:56

It might be a bit far out for us transport wise but it looks lovely - I had a quick look at houses for sale!

Where will you be traveling to?

No personal experience of hermitage but can highly recommend park view as a school. Great staff, good teaching and learning, fab support.

Sulusu Thu 19-May-16 19:24:11

Hi Stealth, mostly Gateshead/Sunderland and some travel further afield for work.

Pottering - thanks for the info. I have found it very difficult to find feedback on either secondary, and wonder if that's a good thing as not much negative to say about either of them smile

Dh goes up to Sunderland from south of Lanchester and he does it quite easily. Gateshead should also be ok. Durham station not too far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now