Things to do with DS 7 near Durham Cathedral

(10 Posts)
barefootcook Fri 24-Jun-16 06:30:12

I have 2 hours to spare after visiting Durham Cathedral with my son. Is there a good playground, suitable museum or cafe within walking distance that we could visit?

If you go into the shopping area (walk down from the cathedral towards the market square, turn right at coop bank) there's a cafe with a children's play area on the right hand side.

Alternatively, the Durham Light Infantry museum is only 10 mins walk away and it's free and great for kids.

You can walk around the river, hire a boat maybe?

yveeastdurham Fri 24-Jun-16 09:34:58

I'd the floor museum still open?

The castle is right next to the cathedral, as is the library museum, which sometimes has kid friendly stuff on. Best to check first.

Every third shop is a coffee shop so loads to choose from. Wharton park, near the railway station has recently been restored and ha lots for kids to do.

Venn els cafe is on the road into town from the cathedral (next to Waterston es - the secondition one you get to).

Indith Fri 24-Jun-16 16:19:05

The oriental museum isn't far to walk. The heritage visitor centre thing is on the little road down from palace green and they will be able to tell you where has child friendly exhibitions at the moment. Good cake is everywhere and Wharton park is great.

BlackhallRocker Fri 24-Jun-16 22:51:15

DLI museum has closed.

Wharton park is a good idea if the weather is ok.

The Library is a good pub for dcs with a nice balcony. Flat white cafe is just along from there it's lovely. Both just down the bank from the cathedral. Cathedral cafe is great too. The cathedral sometimes has backpacks for hire for dcs with items to help with a visit. I'm not sure if this is just occasionally?

BlackhallRocker Fri 24-Jun-16 22:54:14

Adventure valley is good but just outside the centre and you'd need more than two hours to get your moneys worth.

BlackhallRocker Fri 24-Jun-16 22:56:15

Oriental museum is excellent. Really cheap entrance too.

BlackhallRocker Fri 24-Jun-16 22:57:59

Oo I forgot Crook hall and gardens. Right next to the city and it's fantastic. How could I forget there it's one of our favourite places? blush

BlackhallRocker Fri 24-Jun-16 22:59:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now