Local Talk

Private schools in Ealing

(10 Posts)
diverse Sat 09-Feb-13 13:25:03

Hi , Im in the process of choosing schools for my little DD.
We do not fall into a good catchment area within ealing and therefore have been looking at private schools for this september
We have shortlisted to the Avenue House school (co-ed) and the Falcons schools for girls.(girls)
We are concerned about the stability of the falcons school for girls as they lost a lot of pupils due to the anticipated move in 2011, and are now looking to expand as they are making a loss, which might be abit settling. However it seems up to date and creative and one where DD would thrive.
The Avenue house is much more established, but seems a very small building, and a little more like a very good state school.
Does anyone have experiences with these schools or even recommend other schools for my DD?

Bumble24 Wed 06-Mar-13 23:10:46

I only know girls who have left Falcons so can't help you there. In my experience Avenue House is a great school. My kids have thrived there. They instilled confidence, politeness, adventure, and taught to their individual strengths and ability. The building is small but there are only 120ish kids in the school so it's not really an issue & the Sports lessons are at the Trailfinders. Which very good state school have you seen that is like it?!! Surely not one in London?!

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 14-Mar-13 12:14:04

"They instilled confidence, politeness, adventure, and taught to their individual strengths and ability." Our local outstanding state primary school DC go to (there are several round the corner from Ealing) don't do this at all, no no no. wink

worrymerchant Sun 07-Apr-13 12:35:40

My DD goes to Harvington Prep - it has only been a prep school for a couple of years (prior to this it went from nursery to 16 and admittedly, did not do well in this - hence perhaps does not enjoy the best reputation) - however, the decision to change it to a dedicated prep school has recouped impressive results. The girls are mixed ability but have secured places (including scholarships) to top London schools including SPGS, G&L, Francis Holland, Queens College etc etc as well as local independent schools such as St Benedicts etc. The staff are devoted and because classes are small, your dd will get amazingly individual attention tailored to her needs. Above all this, however, is the pastoral care and social development of the girls. This is a school that was founded on principles of fostering courtesy, respect and good manners. I have yet to see another school that cultivates the same loving and nurturing atmosphere. I cannot fault it.

Rumpleslitskin Thu 09-May-13 09:07:50

Dear Diverse,
Did you finally settle on a school? I find it so hard to get any feedback on Falcon school for girls. I had mixed reviews. Mostly positive but finding it very hard getting direct account from any parent who sent their daughter there. Did you manage?
Thanks!

Couldntbehappier Mon 20-May-13 15:04:35

I'm a mum at Falcons Girls, a pretty critical and analytical person and very focused on my daughter's education. I can assure you that FGS is a pot of gold. The headmistress, Joan, is devoted and the staff have been well picked. All are very good, the majority are outstanding (for example, the Deputy Head Nick Hitchins, who teaches English in Years 4, 5 and 6 and is simply amazing, Mrs Henry in Year 3 is another amazing teacher, there are more). All of our form tutors have been warm, conscientious teachers to date. Communication with parents is flawless (my husband and I both work and always feel on top of what our daughter has been up to day by day, and the homework). I've had no problems whatsoever. FGS is very IT-enabled and every girl has either a tablet or desktop (mostly the former). There's a huge emphasis on originality and creativity and I love the fact that FGS held a "Failure Day" last Autumn, during which girls were encouraged to try something they'd always feared, without having to worry about failing. This was a terrific idea and worked well. It's the sort of thing FGS does brilliantly. The homework is pretty full on, but I wouldn't be happy if that were not the case. After school clubs are highly imaginative and original (eg film making, animation, etc), and FGS offer additional afterschool care through 5pm (possible extension to 5.30 being mooted) too. So it's very user-friendly, particularly for working parents, and much of the homework gets done at school. It's very musical and singing is a particular forte. FGS has a nice facility for art and music in a separate building from the main school. The socio-economic and religious and racial mix at this school is also very good (compared to some of the others). Let me address the depleted numbers head-on. The proprietor prematurely announced a move of FGS to Richmond in 2011, before the planning issues were resolved. Planning eventually was refused but, before that, quite a few families who lived in Ealing (and surroundings) and who didn't want their daughters to go to Richmond, found other schools. What is important is that, of all those I know, none cited any dissatisfaction with FGS whatsoever. They were moves motivated by the aborted relocation only. Interestingly, when the FGS move didn't happen, several of those families put their daughters back into FGS, so unimpressed were they with the alternatives they'd chosen. It was a storm in a teacup, but the "exodus" did not reflect on the substance of FGS as a school. If I were you, I'd go for it if you can get a place. I cannot imagine you'll be anything other than delighted, as am I. It's not a school to slap labels. It's a problem-resolving (not just issue-spotting) mentality. The ethos is lovely and the teachers are dedicated, loving and communicative. I'd give it 10/10 (and I rarely do that!)

Bumble24 Wed 25-Sep-13 22:36:09

Uptoapointlordcopper - I don't understand your response.
Diverse - I sincerely hope you have found the right school for your child.

Mumwhoneedhelp Tue 28-Jan-14 16:58:59

Hi - I am in the process of registering my daughter for nursery. I went for openday in NottingHill ealing and Harvington , I am still not able to make a decision. CAn someone pls help , which one is bertter. Nottinghill seems to be a big school , but Harvington had a very personal touch to each child in school .
Please help , if Harvington VS Nottinghill , which one is better

diverse Tue 04-Feb-14 20:52:34

Hi. I finally decided to put my DD into St Augustine's priory Nursery. Outstanding Nursery and reception. However, I am concerned about the academic side of the school.
I am also concerned about the class size of 24.
My DD did not succeed at the assessment for Notinghill.
DD is happy at St Augustine's, but what is the point in paying for large classes and poor results? Should i be thinking of moving her to Harvington???

thebeezkneez Thu 06-Mar-14 22:31:26

Harvington is a wonderful school. The individual child is at the centre of everything it does. It does not only select the brightest children and get good results it gets the best out of every child. Class sizes are small and it is a relatively small school but it is a big family. The facilities and space are fantastic for a prep school, lunches are cooked fresh on site, the drama and music departments in particular are outstanding, clubs are diverse and change regularly. There are regular trips including one to France and a residential trip in Year 6. There is a swimming gala, netball matches, a school play. Everything they do is inclusive, it is a school where your child will fulfill their academic potential in an environment that will build their confidence and encourage them to be individuals true to themselves. Unlike some schools it is not a boot camp which is only interested in results and with no pastoral care. You will not be asked to get your child tutored or remove them if they are not keeping up, they will be given the individual attention they need to catch up and progress.
If that all sounds biased, it is because I am biased. I am the parent of a child who moved to Harvington in Year 3, from a school that was doing nothing for her. She spent a day at Harvington and didn't want to leave. She was encouraged to try things she had never been encouraged to try and 3 years later is on Grade 4 singing, Grade 5 drama and has just received offers of places from 5 senior schools. We couldn't be happier with the school and although we will be sad to leave the school has done it's job because we are ready for the challenges ahead. You can't ask for more than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now