Local Talk

Tell me about North Berwick!

(7 Posts)
SantaLucia Sun 11-Mar-12 10:02:42

DH has lovely relatives in north Berwick. His job may be moving to Edinburgh this summer (working at Little France).

We currently live in Glasgow and have a 4 year old due to start school in August this year plus a newborn.

Our current home is a main door tenement close to shops etc but we fancy something a bit less communal - maybe with some outside space. Still want to be in walking distance of a cafe, corner shop, play park etc.

Let me know your thoughts on North Berwick - schools, houses, flats etc.

Thanks in advance!

North Berwick is lovely. Convenient for Edinburgh, good schools and lovely beaches etc. But, it's not cheap and it doesn't have much in way of night life, restaurants etc. If you want to live out of Edinburgh by the sea though it's a great choice smile

Netdad125 Mon 03-Sep-12 11:34:29

Can anyone add to nospringflower's response. We are also looking at moving to north Berwick and commuting to Edinburgh. Thoughts on play groups, classes etc. Is it manic in the summer with day trippers? Does everyone send their kids to the local schools? All help much appreciated.

MorrisZapp Mon 03-Sep-12 11:42:37

I'd say stay in Edinburgh and do daytrips! NB is fab but similar house prices to Edinburgh.

If you wanted a garden of your own, you'd be on the outskirts of either of them, assuming Glasgow flat budget.

miomio Mon 03-Sep-12 11:57:24

You may find the prices a bit eye watering moving from a Glasgow flat to an East Coast house. North Berwick is pricey. It was quite a shock for us!

Edinburgh is expensive for what you get compared to Glasgow - I lust for my old 3m high ceilings and the like but to get what we had in Glasgow in a nice area in Edinburgh would have bankrupted us.

The suburban train service in Edinburgh is non existent compared to what you are used to - he will have to drive to Little France and it is a few miles to the A1.

Saying that though, if I had to live out of town, I would move to East Lothian - Gullane, Dirlton, North Berwick are lovely. Dunbar has a lot more going on in terms of groups, swimming, club etc and you will probably find you are there a lot. Moving to Dunbar though means you are reliant on the East Coast trains and the service is not a patch on the N Berwick shuttle service - sp I'm told though I have no first hand experience. You may find moving inland a bit - Drem area for example is more affordable.

lovechoc Tue 18-Sep-12 14:42:16

One word to sum up North Berwick - pricey

Caerlaverock Mon 01-Oct-12 10:25:09

Another word smug

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now